SYMPTOMS OF CARCINOID TUMOR(S)...

J

j.

On health forums, we all love diarrhea threads.

We read it scientifically.

OP
T
Thanks Blossom...the cypro has definitely helped with the diarrhea, but I had to take a larger dose (2 mg.) to stop the grumbling and inevitable runs. Should I continue at this dose every day to reduce serotonin or just take when needed?

I had four pages of labs done, but only posted these ones here as I'm not sure if the others are even relevant...

OP
T
Can anyone else tell me what their serum serotonin is? And how long does it take to bring it down to 25, like RP says in the interview?

How often should I be checking it? Or do I just go by no symptoms: no diarrhea and crazy making psychosis...amongst others :shock:

J

j.

Tryptophan is a precursor to serotonin. With a low tryptophan diet, I can't see how it could fail to go down. One way to decrease the percentage of protein in the form of tryptophan is increasing consumption of gelatin, which has no tryptophan.

One way to reduce tryptophan conversion to serotonin is having something with calcium when one consumes a tryptophan food (milk already has calcium, so it's not necessary to add anything with calcium when one consumes milk, which has a significant amount of tryptophan).

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
Thanks Blossom...the cypro has definitely helped with the diarrhea, but I had to take a larger dose (2 mg.) to stop the grumbling and inevitable runs. Should I continue at this dose every day to reduce serotonin or just take when needed?

I had four pages of labs done, but only posted these ones here as I'm not sure if the others are even relevant...
On the cyproheptadine dose I would just experiment by increasing it by 1 mg (1/4 pill) to find the best dose for your situation. Different people seem to settle on different amounts. I've been needing it every night at 4 mg and sometimes I take 1 mg once or twice during the day too. That's just me. I've read that Peat doesn't normally recommend antihistamines for everyday use though so I guess it's always wise to go with the minimum effective dose to control you symptoms. On the labs I say what the heck post them and see if anyone has an insight that might be helpful. It can't hurt anything!

OP
T
Thank you j. I have definitely noticed that I feel better with less red meat, unfortunately I do love seafood. I was eating quite a bit more of the gelatin since starting Peat, but then I read somewhere that it can cause diarrhea.

I have been using hydrolyzed collagen for years and never had problems with it before, so I am still at a loss as to WHY I am suddenly having all these food sensitivities.

My guess is that it is a direct result of the evil estrogen, as Such_Saturation, mas and others have said. I don't think I will be attempting to lower my Progest-E any time soon.

How quickly do serotonin levels come down? I have read that prolactin fluctuates pretty rapidly.

Thanks everyone!!!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
For me, cyproheptadine works best when taken in the morning.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
Can anyone else tell me what their serum serotonin is? And how long does it take to bring it down to 25, like RP says in the interview?

How often should I be checking it? Or do I just go by no symptoms: no diarrhea and crazy making psychosis...amongst others :shock:
I haven't checked any labs lately or I'd be happy to share! Haidut had a post on tryptophan/serotonin depletion that you might enjoy reading through. I've just been following the general dietary guidelines, probably like you, and trying to shift my focus more and more away from muscle meat. When I have meat I make sure I have gelatin and eggshell calcium with it for balancing the amino acids and calcium/phosphorus ratio. I do notice I feel better with 5 grams of BCAA at least once a day with a high protein meal but I haven't been as disciplined with that as I should. You probably already know all of this tho. I think sometimes it just takes a little time to turn the tide and for our bodies to settle in to a new and healthier pattern.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
BCAA is at the top of my list of things to try. I know its going to make a big difference.

J

j.

I just put a bit of gelatin powder in coca cola, you can't put a lot.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Haiduts post is 'tryptophan(serotonin)depletion in the brain and elsewhere' Sorry I'm on a mobile device.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
j. said:
I haven't seen any BCAA product without lecithin.
I found some at Vitamin Shoppe called True Athlete. It free of just about everything you can think of - tastes awful tho.

OP
T
Alrighty, since I am not dying of a carcinoid tumor :woo I still must find the true cause of my diarrhea. A diagnosis of IBS isn't gonna cut it. I can just see myself at the doctor once again explaining all my symptoms and them telling me "Well, you have what we call Irritable Bowel Syndrome". And I will be saying "Um...Yes, Doctor, I just told you that my bowels are irritated."

So once again, I have come full circle. Only THIS time I think I get it :idea: . No more repeat lessons needed. I will work diligently to find the source of gut irritation to minimize histamine reaction. I will be ever vigilant to lower estrogen and serotonin....right now 2 mg. of Cyproheptadine and LOTS of Progest-E and a bit o' thyroid meds make me feel just fine. I would prefer to take them at night, but I actually NEED them during the day.

I think the new coffee beans that I purchased a month ago have something to do with all of this. I also think that my efforts to lose weight contributed to lower metabolism (complete with shocking temp. & pulse drops) and therefore exacerbated my somewhat frail digestive balance. I long for the day when I can eat heartily again (which actually wasn't that long ago).

I may never know the cause for my ruptured appendix and I guess I don't need to as long as I get my proper digestion back....Can we change the name of this thread to "YET ANOTHER PANICKY DIARRHEA RANT" :?:

jyb

thebigpeatowski said:
right now 2 mg. of Cyproheptadine and LOTS of Progest-E and a bit o' thyroid meds make me feel just fine. I would prefer to take them at night, but I actually NEED them during the day.

As Wilfrid mentioned, cypro first thing in the morning is effective and may last a long time. I feel like taking it this way in the morning work well and reduces the need of day time doses. I'm doing 4mg morning / 1mg afternoon / 12mg bedtime. I might reduce the bedtime dose.

OP
T
Cool...thanks jyb. Do you find that you need the larger dose at night to help you sleep? Or is it because you eat a larger dinner and need help with the intestines? Or do you take it for other reasons?

jyb

thebigpeatowski said:
Cool...thanks jyb. Do you find that you need the larger dose at night to help you sleep? Or is it because you eat a larger dinner and need help with the intestines? Or do you take it for other reasons?

After some time, the drowsy effect became small or negligible. I still use it bedtime though as sleep is generally my biggest challenge and it helps to reduce stress. But maybe that with the morning dose I need a lot less at bedtime now. I'll try to gradually reduce the bedtime dose to maybe 4mg, but the other day I tried with zero cypro at bedtime and sleep was really bad.

thebigpeatowski said:
"Well, you have what we call Irritable Bowel Syndrome". And I will be saying "Um...Yes, Doctor, I just told you that my bowels are irritated."

Quote of the month :mrgreen:

Try to get the beans from the higher altitudes, and not fermented (so, pricey but not top dollar)! It's like night and day for your tummy.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:
I'll try to gradually reduce the bedtime dose to maybe 4mg, but the other day I tried with zero cypro at bedtime and sleep was really bad.
Yep, it totally messes up my sleep if I take it at night. I take all my cypro early in the day, all before lunch time. Then when I saw Wilfrid post up that information about taking it in the morning was better, that just confirmed my findings.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals