Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

ken

i got the three month unlimited on sale for 68 dollars. I thought that ought to be a fair trial. I've had heat lamps around for a few years.

narouz

That sounds great,
if the bulbs do indeed produce the correct wavelengths.
Peat said back in 1999 or thereabouts
that a brief intense exposure to red light
might be more beneficial
than a long, low-level exposure.
It would be great to be able to pop in and get an real intense dose.
Is it a chain store you go to?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ken said:
Not to change this old topic, but I just noticed that some sun tan salons are getting into red light therapy. So I went to one and its pretty intense. 32 100 watt fluorescent bulbs for fifteen minutes.
http://www.beauty-angel.eu/content/inde ... _angel.htm
Anything you can report from the experience? I could imagine my glycogen stores being burned up pretty quick in one of those.

narouz said:
That sounds great,
might be more beneficial
Is there a Peat cite for that? Was he talking about a vacation in the sun, as I seem to recall? Caveat: Peat typically propounds only long, low-level exposure of just about anything I can think of, for reasons of safety, and disfavors "conmen and quacks" who make self-interested claims for new technology about which we know far too little to ever know it is safe. Disclaimer: Not that anyone here is a conman or quack.

narouz

visionofstrength said:
narouz said:
That sounds great,
might be more beneficial
Is there a Peat cite for that? Was he talking about a vacation in the sun, as I seem to recall? Caveat: Peat typically propounds only long, low-level exposure of just about anything I can think of, for reasons of safety, and disfavors "conmen and quacks" who make self-interested claims for new technology about which we know far too little to ever know it is safe. Disclaimer: Not that anyone here is a conman or quack.

I believe Peat made those comments
in a 1999 (or so) newsletter.
If I get some time maybe I can turn it up.
I believe I copied part of it
in one of the many red light threads long ago.

As I've said elsewhere
this whole area of Peatdom,
about light,
is not anywhere near as well-documented
as his other familiar specialties.
This is not do disdain Peat's ideas on light.
I try to get all the red light I can.
Just sayin'....

narouz said:
I believe Peat made those comments
in a 1999 (or so) newsletter.
If I get some time maybe I can turn it up.
I believe I copied part of it
in one of the many red light threads long ago.

As I've said elsewhere
this whole area of Peatdom,
about light,
is not anywhere near as well-documented
as his other familiar specialties.
This is not do disdain Peat's ideas on light.
I try to get all the red light I can.
Just sayin'....
Yes, agree! There are already some indications that overly intense redlight, especially in certain spectra, can do harm quite quickly. I would be sad if Peat's good intentions and science, concerned first with doing no harm, were recklessly misused for motives of profit.

narouz

Personally, I would probably try the commercial very bright red light gizmos
if I could feel confident the wavelengths were correct--
red, orange, yellow, even some green maybe.
There could be other concerns:
seems like, within the context of the unhealthy suntan bulbs,
critics noted certain bulbs or machines
produced strong EMFs.

Yes, v of s,
we can never be complacent
about the threat of money influences
on health products.

I'll try to do a little digging if I can. Quickly, I see that there are two products, Beauty light which is in the visible spectrum, and Energy light, which is in spectra up to 850 nm. I can't find any purported intensity yet, nor yet any patents that might explain how it works, if it works.

Peat's idea is that you can extend the day by bathing your skin morning and evening, or even in the night, in redlight from sufficiently intense incandescent light, or LEDs, and that this is quite simple and practical, as are all things Peatian. :mrgreen:

Milklove

visionofstrength said:
narouz said:
That sounds great,
might be more beneficial

Ray Peat:
Frequent short exposures to bright light is almost as valuable as
continuous sunlight, and it is less likely to cause skin aging.

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... tain-life/

This doesn't apply to red light leds, since they don't emit any blue light.

narouz

narouz said:
from Using Sunlight to Sustain Life
http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/ayur ... fects.html

by Raymond Peat, Ph.D., Ray Peat’s Newsletter — from:
Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients, June 1996
, Page 83 – 85

Q: How much sunlight do we need a day for general health?

[RP]: If artificial light is bright enough, it is as effective as
sunlight at stopping the stress reaction, but people seldom use
lights that are bright enough. Generally, people and animals are
healthier when days are longer than 12 hours, that is, after March
21 and before September 20. When days are shorter than 12 hours,
artificial lights should be used from sunset until bedtime, but the
greatest brightness probably doesn’t have to be continuous.
Studies on isolated organs and tissues suggest that
a few seconds
of penetrating bright light are enough to break the free radical
chain reactions, slowing the production of toxic substances
, which
tend to increase in concentration during nocturnal stress.
A few seconds’ exposure to the direct light of
ten 150 Watt incandescent
bulbs
, for just a few minutes every two or three hours, might
provide more effective protection than continuous exposure to a
single 100 Watt light.

This is from an old newsletter of Peat's, back in 1996.
At least at that point it is clear that Peat is talking about regular incandescent bulbs.
Not heat lamps.
(Well...can't rule it out, because I guess heat lamps are incandescent...but doesn't seem likely.
)

ken

I'm actually going for my first Beauty angel treatment this afternoon. This is their little experiment.
http://www.beauty-angel.eu/content/inde ... ations.htm Earlier this week I took three lay down treatments in other salons. i am looking at its effects on my arthritic knee. As a basic metabolic treatment to complement dry co2 baths is my thinking. I've committed to three months.

ken

well I'm back and its quite an experience. You stand in a cylinder of fluorescent tubes on a plate that vibrates. You can set the vibration program and change the music channels. Oh they even have handles to keep from collapsing. Even got a voice program to tell you whats happening. Very cool. The beauty angel website recommends sunglasses, good idea.

ken said:
You stand in a cylinder of fluorescent tubes ...
The tubes are flourescent? Flourescent tubes are cool and cannot deliver light in this spectrum, which is hot, with any intensity. So the good news is, there's no intensity there that could harm you, unless you worry about the EMF that may come from the tubes' power source.

And more good news, you will get more intensity from 500 watts of your own inexpensive, incandescent bulbs, or a good LED panel.

ken

Well the beauty angel website describes the bulbs as coated with built in reflectors. poly spectrum 550 to 850. They are certainly intense enough to limit the treatment to 12 minutes every couple of days. I do have 375 watts above my desk, this is a whole different level. It is only marginally infrared so not particularly hot. On first impression you feel glowing several hours later. I want to add that this is a personal experiment and I'm just sharing not promoting this product. Several years ago my left knee was frozen to the point of uselessness. After the surgeon said to replace it I started using progesterone and dhea cream and co2 baths and baking soda and bagbreathing and vitamin k. The knee is vastly improved. Red light is touted as an aid for arthritic condition's so I have been considering a red light led device. The idea that tanning salons could be doing something healthful was to good to pass up.

k, that's great that you feel a glow! I think I know the feeling. Peat on!

Let me be the first to say that I have limited knowledge of this subject, which is gained mostly from an article you can read for yourself by clicking here.

I do consider consumer advocacy to be important in the Peatian worldview. Peat detests, as I believe many of us do here, conmen and quacks who make self-interested claims for technology or expertise they happen to be selling for their own gain at the expense of their unsuspecting clients.

In that spirit, I will contact the company to ask what bulb they use, and post here when they give me an answer.

Peata

Timely, as I've considered trying a local tanning salon that advertises red light therapy. I don't know if theirs is a special system or they've simply modified one of their tanning bed with red lights. I will look into it further. I think it would be ideal for the winter for me, to go maybe 3 x week.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals