Re-introducing Dairy

OP
Zpol

Zpol

What do you do with the rest of the chicken? I thought chicken meat was high in PUFA and should be avoided?

4peatssake

Zpol said:
What do you do with the rest of the chicken? I thought chicken meat was high in PUFA and should be avoided?
I thought that chicken neck and feet in broth were OK - hadn't heard about the wings. Some forum members eat chicken liver too.

I don't eat any chicken personally and have yet to make bone broth.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I try to stay away from chicken as it's not optimal. But making broth and skimming the fat off should be OK. Ray Peat said something to the effect of chicken meat every 10 days or so should be OK if you must have it. But why even? I love me some chicken, but I want optimal and can do without.

4peatssake

Charlie said:
I try to stay away from chicken as it's not optimal. But making broth and skimming the fat off should be OK. Ray Peat said something to the effect of chicken meat every 10 days or so should be OK if you must have it. But why even? I love me some chicken, but I want optimal and can do without.
That's been my philosophy as well. I ate skinless chicken breasts for years thinking they were healthy and I do not miss them. I prefer beef anyway so I'm fortunate.

IIRC, chicken necks and feet are good in broth as the neck still has the thyroid and the chicken parts provide additional flavors. I forget what's so good about chicken feet! :lol:

Not sure I'd get used to looking at them toes though HDD! ;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Lots of gelatin in the feet.

HDD

I don't really eat the meat either but feed to family. That's bad isn't it?

Mittir

I ate skinless chicken breasts for years thinking they were healthy and I do not miss them. I prefer beef anyway so I'm fortunate.
I think skinless chicken breast possibly is healthy. In recent interviews RP commented that due to high body temperature of chicken, fat does not get deposited in chicken muscle tissue. 100 grams of skinless chicken breast has 200 mg of PUFA ( this amount is less than most beef cuts), .7 mg of iron and 11 mg of niacin.
Other parts of chicken has considerable amount of PUFA even without skin.

HDD

The thought of cooking the feet of animals does not come natural. I struggle with with the oxtails, too. I wish I had grown up eating these things. Although, we had fresh oysters growing up and I would pass and eat bologna instead. :?

4peatssake

Mittir said:
I ate skinless chicken breasts for years thinking they were healthy and I do not miss them. I prefer beef anyway so I'm fortunate.
I think skinless chicken breast possibly is healthy. In recent interviews RP commented that due to high body temperature of chicken, fat does not get deposited in chicken muscle tissue. 100 grams of skinless chicken breast has 200 mg of PUFA ( this amount is less than most beef cuts), .7 mg of iron and 11 mg of niacin.
Other parts of chicken has considerable amount of PUFA even without skin.
Very interesting, Mittir. It would be good to hear more from Peat about his current thoughts on chicken as this comment has always given me pause when it comes to chicken, even in small amounts, as I am behind the eight ball with both thyroid and progesterone.

Ray Peat said:
If you depend on chicken for your major protein, it will contribute to suppressing your thyroid and progesterone.

4peatssake

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
The thought of cooking the feet of animals does not come natural. I struggle with with the oxtails, too. I wish I had grown up eating these things. Although, we had fresh oysters growing up and I would pass and eat bologna instead. :?
This is why I eat Great Lakes gelatin! :lol:

Rolan

Cooking Chicken feet seems absurd at first, but only through the prism of what we've been conditioned with. Most indigenous people would think nothing of it - there's a tribe in the Amazon who boil Monkey's whole(as opposed to chopping them up) and eat them - while we are conditioned to think eating rank skinless chicken breasts sold in plastic boxes as natural. I remember once roasting a chicken, and when I looked inside it there was it's foot poking out. Someone had actually put it's ******* foot inside the chicken! I threw it away :lol:

I used to eat Chicken like a fiend, couldn't get enough. But now I know how crappy and toxic a food it is, I suddenly have no interest in eating it. That said, If cooking feet as part of a broth had some health benefit, I'd gladly do it :?

HDD

I started making bone broths about 5 years ago after reading "Nourishing Traditions". Many of the recipes incorporate bone broths. When it is cold, there are a few soups that I make with th broths. I put it in gravy, BBQ sauce, etc. All of these are not strict recipes but since I cook for the family it gives me more variety that would be to their taste but still give them the benefits.

I am wondering if there is much more benefit to the broth than the powdered gelatin? Does the gelatin dissolved have the same capacity for healing the gut?

A recent publication shows that glycine alleviates colitis; but the use of gelatin, especially in the form of a concentrated gelatinous beef broth, for colitis, dysentery, ulcers, celiac disease, and other diseases of the digestive system, goes far back in medical history. Pavlov's observation of its effectiveness in stimulating the secretion of digestive juices occurred because the stimulating value of broth was already recognized."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

"In some of the older studies, therapeutic results improved when the daily gelatin was increased. Since 30 grams of glycine was commonly used for treating muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis, a daily intake of 100 grams of gelatin wouldn't seem unreasonable, and some people find that quantities in that range help to decrease fatigue. For a growing child, though, such a large amount of refined gelatin would tend to displace other important foods. The National Academy of Sciences recently reviewed the requirements for working adults (male and female soldiers, in particular), and suggested that 100 grams of balanced protein was needed for efficient work. For adults, a large part of that could be in the form of gelatin."
(same article as above)

HDD

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... -wont-gel/

Homemade stock is so essential because it contains ample amounts of gelatin, a colloidal substance that attracts digestive juices to itself and prevents gastrointestinal bugs from attaching themselves to the gut wall and wreaking havoc.   Natural gelatin both assists digestion and keeps you well!
In addition to gelatin, stock contains minerals such as calcium, silicon, sulphur, magnesium, phosphorus, and trace minerals all in a form that is incredibly easy for the body to absorb.

Swandattur

Thinking about chicken feet and things more modernized people aren't used to, made me think of the time my parents had frog legs for dinner. Us kids refused to come to the dinner table. Normally, we would never have dared such a thing, but it was just too horrific! Our parents didn't say a word, and let us eat something else somewhere else.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
They wanted all the frog legs to themselves! :lol:

OP
Zpol

Zpol

Here's a really informative article on bone broth:
http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2005/broth0205.htm
It's written by Allison Siebecker, and expert on small intestine bacterial overgrowth. However, she says in an interview on another website, that bone broth contains polysaccharides and Oligosaccharides which can increase the overgrowth in people with impaired digestion, and hence endotoxin.
I think maybe that hydrolyzed gelatin has less of these compounds which would make it easier to digest.

In regards to chicken; wouldn't skinless chicken breast be okay since they have almost no fat content? You know what I mean... they cannot really contain much unsaturated fat if they don't really contain a lot of fat all. In fact, if you look up the nutrition facts, the only fat they contain is saturated. Whereas beef has significantly more fat and much of it is unsaturated.

So really, I would think skinless chicken breast would be ideal. Add some gelatin, Coconut oil, and fruit to balance it all out though of course. It's written by Allison Siebecker, and expert on small intestine bacterial overgrowth. However, she says in an interview on another website, that bone broth contains polysaccharides and Oligosaccharides which can increase the overgrowth in people with impaired digestion.
I think maybe that hydrolyzed gelatin has less of these compounds which would make it easier to digest.

In regards to chicken; wouldn't skinless chicken breast be okay since they have almost no fat content? You know what I mean... they cannot really contain much unsaturated fat if they don't really contain a lot of fat all. In fact, if you look up the nutrition facts, the only fat they contain is saturated. Whereas beef has significantly more fat and much of it is monounsaturated which is not as desirable as unsaturated.

So really, I would think skinless chicken breast would be ideal. Add some gelatin, Coconut oil, and fruit to balance it all out though of course.

4peatssake

Haagendazendiane said:
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/5-reasons-why-your-stock-wont-gel/

Homemade stock is so essential because it contains ample amounts of gelatin, a colloidal substance that attracts digestive juices to itself and prevents gastrointestinal bugs from attaching themselves to the gut wall and wreaking havoc.   Natural gelatin both assists digestion and keeps you well!
In addition to gelatin, stock contains minerals such as calcium, silicon, sulphur, magnesium, phosphorus, and trace minerals all in a form that is incredibly easy for the body to absorb.
I gotta get off my duff and make bone broth! :lol:
I really do think it is a big key for me.

4peatssake

Swandattur said:
Thinking about chicken feet and things more modernized people aren't used to, made me think of the time my parents had frog legs for dinner. Us kids refused to come to the dinner table. Normally, we would never have dared such a thing, but it was just too horrific! Our parents didn't say a word, and let us eat something else somewhere else.
You have the greatest family tales Swandattur!

HDD

Zpol said:
Here's a really informative article on bone broth:
http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2005/broth0205.htm
It's written by Allison Siebecker, and expert on small intestine bacterial overgrowth. However, she says in an interview on another website, that bone broth contains polysaccharides and Oligosaccharides which can increase the overgrowth in people with impaired digestion, and hence endotoxin.

In regards to chicken; wouldn't skinless chicken breast be okay since they have almost no fat content? You know what I mean... they cannot really contain much unsaturated fat if they don't really contain a lot of fat all. In fact, if you look up the nutrition facts, the only fat they contain is saturated. Whereas beef has significantly more fat and much of it is unsaturated.

So really, I would think skinless chicken breast would be ideal. Add some gelatin, Coconut oil, and fruit to balance it all out though of course. It's written by Allison Siebecker, and expert on small intestine bacterial overgrowth. However, she says in an interview on another website, that bone broth contains polysaccharides and Oligosaccharides which can increase the overgrowth in people with impaired digestion.

In regards to chicken; wouldn't skinless chicken breast be okay since they have almost no fat content? You know what I mean... they cannot really contain much unsaturated fat if they don't really contain a lot of fat all. In fact, if you look up the nutrition facts, the only fat they contain is saturated. Whereas beef has significantly more fat and much of it is monounsaturated which is not as desirable as unsaturated.

So really, I would think skinless chicken breast would be ideal. Add some gelatin, Coconut oil, and fruit to balance it all out though of course.

Just did a little search on broth and digestive issues. It seems there is a difference between meat stock and bone broth and when to consume which one. Here is the link:

http://www.lovingourguts.com/the-differ ... -or-stock/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals