Pet cat has teeth resorption issue…any alternative to pulling them out?

faisman

My pet cat has already had 2 teeth pulled out because of this and now another is acting up. Vets say theres no explanation for what causes it and only recommend pulling. My cat is less than 3 years old and already lost 3 teeth, this doesn't sound okay.

In terms of diet she eats mainly grassfed beef, chicken hearts, and freeze dried liver with occasional fish. I give her daily calcium carbonate (according to the preferred ration for cats) and a kelp powder that targets dental health. She also has some multi organ powder and nutritional yeast 3 days a week.

Its been really tough finding a course of action since everything online seems to point to pulling with no explanation or preventative measures

yerrag

Is she eating cooked food or raw?

LeeLemonoil

My pet cat has already had 2 teeth pulled out because of this and now another is acting up. Vets say theres no explanation for what causes it and only recommend pulling. My cat is less than 3 years old and already lost 3 teeth, this doesn't sound okay.

In terms of diet she eats mainly grassfed beef, chicken hearts, and freeze dried liver with occasional fish. I give her daily calcium carbonate (according to the preferred ration for cats) and a kelp powder that targets dental health. She also has some multi organ powder and nutritional yeast 3 days a week.

Its been really tough finding a course of action since everything online seems to point to pulling with no explanation or preventative measures
Diet seems very good, but some speculate that „imbalanced“ feeding contributes to the Problem. Some researchers suspect excess fortification with Vit D in cat-food. I doubt that. I personally suspect a primarily extrinsic onset of immune modulation/derangement since it doesn’t make sense for so many cats to develope the Problem. And since there are a lot of widespread pathogens and parasites for cats that’s where I suspect it comes from

Wild, big cats also have the Problems but occurrence is not as numerous as with pets. One contributing factor that seems probable is FIV.

Too much unknowns and practical obstacles to recommend stuff that might improve the hypothetical immune situation. So pulling is really the only pragmatical way.

OP
F

faisman

Diet seems very good, but some speculate that „imbalanced“ feeding contributes to the Problem. Some researchers suspect excess fortification with Vit D in cat-food. I doubt that. I personally suspect a primarily extrinsic onset of immune modulation/derangement since it doesn’t make sense for so many cats to develope the Problem. And since there are a lot of widespread pathogens and parasites for cats that’s where I suspect it comes from

Wild, big cats also have the Problems but occurrence is not as numerous as with pets. One contributing factor that seems probable is FIV.

Too much unknowns and practical obstacles to recommend stuff that might improve the hypothetical immune situation. So pulling is really the only pragmatical way.
Yes it seems to be a complex issue but I am just shocked by how little importance its given despite how widespread it is :(

I also don’t agree with Vitamin D being a cause and even read a study that disproved that. But anyways she doesn't take supplemental D.

yerrag

The beef and chicken hearts are raw
That rules out taurine deficiency, something I learned the hard way. A cat I had lived only 5 years. He had bad teeth as well. But later cats all have good teeth, but he may have other deficiencies as that was my first cat and I was coming from zero.

OP
F

faisman

That rules out taurine deficiency, something I learned the hard way. A cat I had lived only 5 years. He had bad teeth as well. But later cats all have good teeth, but he may have other deficiencies as that was my first cat and I was coming from zero.
Yes, our last cat passed away from chronic kidney failure at around 7 years old which really opened my eyes to the care and effort needed to properly take care of them. It's sad that most people who have pet cats barely know anything about their physiology and what to look out for, I've put so much effort into learning and still feel that there's a lot I don't know.

Roni123@

I have three dogs and several cats, they have never caught a disease and are extremely active and strong and love to hunt if you can feed your animals only internal organs and milk (more milk than the rest) that is enough and extremely good

yerrag

Yes, our last cat passed away from chronic kidney failure at around 7 years old which really opened my eyes to the care and effort needed to properly take care of them. It's sad that most people who have pet cats barely know anything about their physiology and what to look out for, I've put so much effort into learning and still feel that there's a lot I don't know.
I wonder if your cat was cared for by her mom and sucked on her teats in the first 4 months. I have a 6 mónth old kitty whom a neighbor sneaked into the front lawn when he was barely a week old. To bûild his immunity, I thought of adding lactoferrin to his milk blend as he is iacking the benefit of colostrum from mother's milk. I hope this would make a difference in his health. Alone it may not be sufficient to keep his teeth intact as he ages though, as the first cat I mentioned had a mom to care for him but had poor teeth due to my feeding of cooked foods without supplementation of taurine, an essential amino acid for cats. As Lee has said, there are many factors at play.

RealNeat

Stop the vaccines. Fortify the drinks with microcrystalline hydroxyapatite, or rub it all over his teeth with a baby finger brush. My cats can't eat beef, they hate it, it's odd yours can? Have you balanced everything out for your cats weight and needs? Ratio of organs and nutrients need to be factored in. Getting him a silver vine chew stick could help.

Also if "fixed" supplement .2 or so mcg of DHEA.

OP
F

faisman

I wonder if your cat was cared for by her mom and sucked on her teats in the first 4 months. I have a 6 mónth old kitty whom a neighbor sneaked into the front lawn when he was barely a week old. To bûild his immunity, I thought of adding lactoferrin to his milk blend as he is iacking the benefit of colostrum from mother's milk. I hope this would make a difference in his health. Alone it may not be sufficient to keep his teeth intact as he ages though, as the first cat I mentioned had a mom to care for him but had poor teeth due to my feeding of cooked foods without supplementation of taurine, an essential amino acid for cats. As Lee has said, there are many factors at play.
Unfortunately I don’t know about this as I got her from a shelter and someone had found her in their garden and brought her in. Lactoferrin dose seem like a good idea though i’ll probably order some soon.

OP
F

faisman

Stop the vaccines. Fortify the drinks with microcrystalline hydroxyapatite, or rub it all over his teeth with a baby finger brush. My cats can't eat beef, they hate it, it's odd yours can? Have you balanced everything out for your cats weight and needs? Ratio of organs and nutrients need to be factored in. Getting him a silver vine chew stick could help.

Also if "fixed" supplement .2 or so mcg of DHEA.
Yes we have not vaccinated her since we got her, but she did recieve a few vaccines before that.

Yeah I find her love for beef weird too. She hates raw chicken and cooked as well, she will only eat freeze dried chicken.

I have read a lot about raw feeding and balanced everything to the best of my ability.

I will look for the silvervine chewsticks and hydroxyapatite . In terms of DHEA its a female, so would progesterone be a better alternative? I have some on hand already.

OP
F

faisman

I found this product while researching and ordered some since it looks quite promising from reviews, a homeopathic blend for feline dental health.

BestLife4Pets Oral Health for Cats - Cat Dental Care Supplement; Anti-inflammatory Pain Relief for Stomatitis Gingivitis and Gum Disease; Cat Supplies for Dental Care - Easy to Use Pills (450 ct) https://a.co/d/1XnLyAs

OP
F

faisman

Also here’s a pic of Gigi, thought it would be nice to share it :)

She’s very talkative and always wants to play.

2514E9F4-D33B-4D56-9826-A08478728FE4.jpeg

yerrag

Unfortunately I don’t know about this as I got her from a shelter and someone had found her in their garden and brought her in. Lactoferrin dose seem like a good idea though i’ll probably order some soon.
It may help but the impact is more pronounced with kittens as kittens are easily stricken with feline distemper as their immune system is still developing and colostrum from the mother cat's milk helps their immunity. Lactoferrin is in the colostrum.

Amazon has a product that only costs around $10 made from Bioferrin, which is cheaper than the other products because it isn't naturally obtained but synthesized from regular milk. It's from Doublewood Supplements.

I can't really know if it's as good as the natural ones but so far my kitty seems to have more pep since I started him on it. He has already gone thru a distemper scare though even before. I gave her an expired herbal blend from Amber Technologies called Vibactra Plus. Expired 5 years already, but seemed to retain its effectiveness (may even be more potent) as it just took 2 doses on the same day to get him back eating after he languished for two days not able to eat. I had tries giving him vitamin C and homeopathic pills but a kitten that isn't in grave danger is so hard to medicate. He will keep fighting you and it wears you down. But the herbal blend is much easier to administer as all I needed was two drops, and I just had to wait for him to whine to squirt them in his mouth, as he needed to open his mouth to whine. They always whine (or meow) when restrained. Still, two persons are needed.

yerrag

VitoScaletta

Occasionally (1-3 times a week) give them some raw beef liver, beef heart, a bit of kefir if they like it.
I suggest switch their daily feed from beef to raw chicken/turkey, just a hunch that cats aren't meant to consume meat of such large animals, and it's also cheaper. My cats seem more hesitant to eat beef.

Yeast seems bad in my eyes. I think it can damage teeth health by a lot and make them rot. And they will get sufficient B Vitamins anyway from the liver. By the way, don't forget to not overfeed them liver! Even if they're carnivores it's a lot of Vitamin A.

I don't see a reason to supplement them calcium carbonate.

Good general dietary additions:
Lean pork, sea food.
Maybe:
bone marrow.
If they like it:
kefir as I mentioned, whipped cream

OP
F

faisman

It may help but the impact is more pronounced with kittens as kittens are easily stricken with feline distemper as their immune system is still developing and colostrum from the mother cat's milk helps their immunity. Lactoferrin is in the colostrum.

Amazon has a product that only costs around $10 made from Bioferrin, which is cheaper than the other products because it isn't naturally obtained but synthesized from regular milk. It's from Doublewood Supplements.

I can't really know if it's as good as the natural ones but so far my kitty seems to have more pep since I started him on it. He has already gone thru a distemper scare though even before. I gave her an expired herbal blend from Amber Technologies called Vibactra Plus. Expired 5 years already, but seemed to retain its effectiveness (may even be more potent) as it just took 2 doses on the same day to get him back eating after he languished for two days not able to eat. I had tries giving him vitamin C and homeopathic pills but a kitten that isn't in grave danger is so hard to medicate. He will keep fighting you and it wears you down. But the herbal blend is much easier to administer as all I needed was two drops, and I just had to wait for him to whine to squirt them in his mouth, as he needed to open his mouth to whine. They always whine (or meow) when restrained. Still, two persons are needed.
Yes, its definitely a struggle trying to give them supplements. One method you can use is mix whatever youre trying to give into a bit of coconut oil and cool it. You can kind of shape it into a ball and it basically melts as soon as its in their mouth 😂

OP
F

faisman

Occasionally (1-3 times a week) give them some raw beef liver, beef heart, a bit of kefir if they like it.
I suggest switch their daily feed from beef to raw chicken/turkey, just a hunch that cats aren't meant to consume meat of such large animals, and it's also cheaper. My cats seem more hesitant to eat beef.

Yeast seems bad in my eyes. I think it can damage teeth health by a lot and make them rot. And they will get sufficient B Vitamins anyway from the liver. By the way, don't forget to not overfeed them liver! Even if they're carnivores it's a lot of Vitamin A.

I don't see a reason to supplement them calcium carbonate.

Good general dietary additions:
Lean pork, sea food.
Maybe:
bone marrow.
If they like it:
kefir as I mentioned, whipped cream
I’ve thought the same in terms of beef but she absolutely refuses chicken (raw or cooked), she loves freeze dried chicken though and eats raw chicken hearts sometimes. Turkey is not very available here so I stick to beef mainly since its good quality (NZ grassfed) and give her chicken hearts and freeze dried chicken occasionally.

She’s quite picky so she wont just eat bone, hence why I supplement her with calcium carbonate. I used to use bone meal powder but that also has a decent amount of phosphorus which means i need to use a lot of it (feline cal/phos ratio is similar to ours) and the less powder the less picky she is.

cs3000

how often do you give her liver & how much? (& for how long have you been feeding her it in similar amounts?)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom