"Natural" skin-care routine/products?

thetaflow

Hi everyone,

I've never really had a skin-care routine, and I think it's about time...

So far I'm thinking of this: AHA+BHA skincare product for exfoliating/cleansing: Herbivore Prism AHA + BHA Exfoliating Glow Facial

Some shea butter to moisturize after

And this Vitamin A cream for wrinkles at night: Mad Hippie, Vitamin A Serum, 1.02 fl oz (30 ml)

Suggestions would be much appreciated - what seems to work for you? I noticed I wake up with some wrinkles around my eyes, that I'd like to reverse if possible.

Thank you.

mostlylurking

Hi everyone,

So far I'm thinking of this: AHA+BHA skincare product for exfoliating/cleansing: Herbivore Prism AHA + BHA Exfoliating Glow Facial

And this Vitamin A cream for wrinkles at night: Mad Hippie, Vitamin A Serum, 1.02 fl oz (30 ml)

Suggestions would be much appreciated - what seems to work for you? I noticed I wake up with some wrinkles around my eyes, that I'd like to reverse if possible.

Thank you.
I'm 73 and I get comments from other people that my skin looks amazing. My skin is in very good shape, all things considered. Here's what I've done for skin care for more than 20 years:

1. I always wear a hat if I'm outside in the sun. I'm outside a lot.

2. I wash my face with a very gentle unscented liquid glycerine soap. here.

3. I use Dickenson's Witch Hazel as a toner to get the soap residue off.

4. I use hydogenated coconut oil as a moisturizer after the witch hazel. I'm pretty generous with it. Coconut oil is wonderful for the skin.

5. I get 8 hours of sleep each night.

6. I do not eat polyunsaturated fats (liquid seed oils). Eating polyunsaturated fats will age your skin and make it susceptible to sun burning.

EDIT: I linked to the wrong witch hazel product above (oops). I use this one.

Last edited:
OP
T

thetaflow

I'm 73 and I get comments from other people that my skin looks amazing. My skin is in very good shape, all things considered. Here's what I've done for skin care for more than 20 years:

1. I always wear a hat if I'm outside in the sun. I'm outside a lot.

2. I wash my face with a very gentle unscented liquid glycerine soap. here.

3. I use Dickenson's Witch Hazel as a toner to get the soap residue off.

4. I use hydogenated coconut oil as a moisturizer after the witch hazel. I'm pretty generous with it. Coconut oil is wonderful for the skin.

5. I get 8 hours of sleep each night.

6. I do not eat polyunsaturated fats (liquid seed oils). Eating polyunsaturated fats will age your skin and make it susceptible to sun burning.
This is a great reply - includes everything I'm asking: proven track record, and a specific routine.

What do you think about phenoxyethanol and polysorbate 20 in the witch hazel?

mostlylurking

This is a great reply - includes everything I'm asking: proven track record, and a specific routine.

I don't know. I've had a very long term history (30 years) of strong sensitivity to environmental toxins including those in personal care products; also strong sensitivity to many foods and food additives. I suffered organo-phosphate poisoning when I was 43 which exacerbated the problem I had with sensitivities. I've never had a problem with this particular brand of witch hazel; I've used it since I was 13 (=60 years). I have reacted badly to other brands of witch hazel that had fragrance added. I don't know when the company added phenoxyethanol and polysorbate20 to their product. It could even be brand new additions as far as I know.

mostlylurking

I got my bottle of Dickenson's witch hazel out and read the ingredients. It reads: Ingredients: All Natural Distilled Witch Hazel (containing natural grain alcohol 14%), Organic Witch Hazel Extract. I think maybe I linked to the wrong product earlier (sorry about that). I use this one.

mostlylurking

Hi everyone,

Thank you.
There's more to skin care I'd like to share. The face has a fatty layer under the skin. Elevated cortisol dissolves that fatty layer and makes the skin thinner (no fatty under-layment + thin skin = wrinkles).

Keeping the body stressors under control, including cortisol, estrogen, and oxidative stress, results in better overall health and also healthy unwrinkled skin.

suggested reading:

-paste-
*There are many toxins which modify hormonal responses, activating cells and altering the immune system (including estrogens and dioxins.) When these act early in life, extremely small amounts can cause life-long changes.

*When respiratory energy production is blocked in stimulated cells, the cells are likely to die. (Cortisol, estrogen, polyunsaturated oils have this effect, especially on thymus cells.)

*Antibodies are involved in removing the debris of cells that have disintegrated. Intense cellular damage causes many "autoantibodies" to be produced. People with AIDS have a high incidence of "autoimmunity."

*Endogenous retroviruses are activated by toxins known to be associated with immunodeficiency. Everyone has endogenous retroviruses. The antibodies which are used to diagnose "HIV" infection can, in the demonstrated absence of that virus, be produced in connection with lupus, Sjogren's syndrome, and arthritis. These autoimmune conditions are promoted by estrogen.

*Estrogen activates the production of cortisol, and damages the normal feedback control, causing both cortisol and ACTH to be elevated.

*Estrogen causes chronically elevated free fatty acids, and synergizes with unsaturated fats.

*Estrogen inhibits thyroid function.

Hypercortisolism is typically associated with hypothyroidism, and both tend to cause the loss of lean body mass.

*AIDS is often compared to Addison's disease, because of hyponatremia (loss of sodium) and fatigue. Hypothyroidism causes hyponatremia and many other features seen in AIDS.

*Increased levels of cortisol, estrogen, and polyunsaturated fatty acids, and decreased levels of the active thyroid hormone (T3) and (placental) progesterone have been found to occur in AIDS.

*Progesterone can contribute to the inhibition of HIV replication and transmission.

*Common environmental factors can produce hormonal changes leading to immunodeficiency.

-end paste-

also this one:
-paste-
In experiments, progesterone was found to be the basic hormone of adaptation and of resistance to stress. The adrenal glands use it to produce their antistress hormones, and when there is enough progesterone, they don't have to produce the potentially harmful cortisol. In a progesterone deficiency, we produce too much cortisol, and excessive cortisol causes osteoporosis, aging of the skin, damage to brain cells, and the accumulation of fat, especially on the back and abdomen.
-end paste-
In addition to the facial skin care that I shared above, I also take progesterone. I'm hypothyroid so I've also taken the time to work with a good endocrinologist to optimize my prescription desiccated thyroid medication. I also take pregnenolone and other vitamins. I've read that magnesium lowers cortisol; I take magnesium glycinate daily.
-end paste-

about magnesium:
-paste-
In this neurobiological model, cortisol is a well-known mediator of the stress response. The nocturnal cortisol urinary excretion in apparently healthy subjects reflects the basal tone of the HPA axis [100]; conversely, the blood cortisol concentration measured in a challenging environment is a sign of stress activity [101]. It has been shown that cortisol coordinates the central response to stress at several levels [102], and indirectly influences mechanisms of neuroprotection [103]. Neurotrophic factor production, represented by the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BNDF), intervenes in allostasis through protecting neurons [104]. Normally, BNDF promotes neuronal survival and plasticity [104]; however, changes in BNDF expression have been reported following exposure to stressful stimuli. An increase of BNDF has been observed in response to moderate stress [105], whereas a decrease has been associated with high levels of stress [106]. Furthermore, increasing evidence shows a link between cortisol responses and oxidant elevation [107]. The accumulation of free radicals and other reactive oxygen species is also a sign of allostatic load, resulting from the imbalance between cellular metabolic activities and antioxidant defense mechanisms [108,109].

Noteworthy, magnesium interacts with all these stress mediators [17,110,111,112], overall serving an inhibitory function in the regulation and central neurotransmission of the stress response (details of these interactions are summarized in chapter 6).
-end paste-

Cow

The only thing I use on my skin, including my face, is some of the cream I scoop off my cream top whole milk. It takes a minute to sink it, but leaves my skin super smooth and silky. And since I'd buy the milk anyway, it's free!

Ania

The only thing I use on my skin, including my face, is some of the cream I scoop off my cream top whole milk. It takes a minute to sink it, but leaves my skin super smooth and silky. And since I'd buy the milk anyway, it's free!
Amazing tip. I tried it today inspired by you. Feels fantastic both on the body and face. I am going to experiment with full fat cream for some time and see more long term results. Do you see some wrinkle reducing properties? My face looks much more nourished today or maybe it is my imagination.

Cow

Amazing tip. I tried it today inspired by you. Feels fantastic both on the body and face. I am going to experiment with full fat cream for some time and see more long term results. Do you see some wrinkle reducing properties? My face looks much more nourished today or maybe it is my imagination.
Cool! I only need to use cream about once a week at this point, cuz my skin stays super soft from it for days. I don't know that I can make wrinkle reducing claims. I am a 58 yo female and have some normal wrinkles on my forehead, which don't bother me. The only other wrinkles I have, which do bother me, are some lines above my lips. This is because I am a side sleeper and smoosh my face into my pillow. I took a picture of how I sleep so I could see it, and this is totally what has caused these lines. However, I cannot sleep on my back, no way, so recently I came on the idea to cut out each corner of a non-toxic foam pillow so I can still sleep on my side but there is open space underneath my cheeks and mouth so it doesn't smoosh up my skin there. (see my pathetic renderng below!) And I am also using a light sandpaper on the lip lines. With these two interventions, they are starting to relax. ...I guess I am just a MacGyver kind of gal. 🤣
Untitled.png

OP
T

thetaflow

There's more to skin care I'd like to share. The face has a fatty layer under the skin. Elevated cortisol dissolves that fatty layer and makes the skin thinner (no fatty under-layment + thin skin = wrinkles).

Keeping the body stressors under control, including cortisol, estrogen, and oxidative stress, results in better overall health and also healthy unwrinkled skin.

suggested reading:

-paste-
*There are many toxins which modify hormonal responses, activating cells and altering the immune system (including estrogens and dioxins.) When these act early in life, extremely small amounts can cause life-long changes.

*When respiratory energy production is blocked in stimulated cells, the cells are likely to die. (Cortisol, estrogen, polyunsaturated oils have this effect, especially on thymus cells.)

*Antibodies are involved in removing the debris of cells that have disintegrated. Intense cellular damage causes many "autoantibodies" to be produced. People with AIDS have a high incidence of "autoimmunity."

*Endogenous retroviruses are activated by toxins known to be associated with immunodeficiency. Everyone has endogenous retroviruses. The antibodies which are used to diagnose "HIV" infection can, in the demonstrated absence of that virus, be produced in connection with lupus, Sjogren's syndrome, and arthritis. These autoimmune conditions are promoted by estrogen.

*Estrogen activates the production of cortisol, and damages the normal feedback control, causing both cortisol and ACTH to be elevated.

*Estrogen causes chronically elevated free fatty acids, and synergizes with unsaturated fats.

*Estrogen inhibits thyroid function.

Hypercortisolism is typically associated with hypothyroidism, and both tend to cause the loss of lean body mass.

*AIDS is often compared to Addison's disease, because of hyponatremia (loss of sodium) and fatigue. Hypothyroidism causes hyponatremia and many other features seen in AIDS.

*Increased levels of cortisol, estrogen, and polyunsaturated fatty acids, and decreased levels of the active thyroid hormone (T3) and (placental) progesterone have been found to occur in AIDS.

*Progesterone can contribute to the inhibition of HIV replication and transmission.

*Common environmental factors can produce hormonal changes leading to immunodeficiency.

-end paste-

also this one:
-paste-
In experiments, progesterone was found to be the basic hormone of adaptation and of resistance to stress. The adrenal glands use it to produce their antistress hormones, and when there is enough progesterone, they don't have to produce the potentially harmful cortisol. In a progesterone deficiency, we produce too much cortisol, and excessive cortisol causes osteoporosis, aging of the skin, damage to brain cells, and the accumulation of fat, especially on the back and abdomen.
-end paste-
In addition to the facial skin care that I shared above, I also take progesterone. I'm hypothyroid so I've also taken the time to work with a good endocrinologist to optimize my prescription desiccated thyroid medication. I also take pregnenolone and other vitamins. I've read that magnesium lowers cortisol; I take magnesium glycinate daily.
-end paste-

about magnesium:
-paste-
In this neurobiological model, cortisol is a well-known mediator of the stress response. The nocturnal cortisol urinary excretion in apparently healthy subjects reflects the basal tone of the HPA axis [100]; conversely, the blood cortisol concentration measured in a challenging environment is a sign of stress activity [101]. It has been shown that cortisol coordinates the central response to stress at several levels [102], and indirectly influences mechanisms of neuroprotection [103]. Neurotrophic factor production, represented by the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BNDF), intervenes in allostasis through protecting neurons [104]. Normally, BNDF promotes neuronal survival and plasticity [104]; however, changes in BNDF expression have been reported following exposure to stressful stimuli. An increase of BNDF has been observed in response to moderate stress [105], whereas a decrease has been associated with high levels of stress [106]. Furthermore, increasing evidence shows a link between cortisol responses and oxidant elevation [107]. The accumulation of free radicals and other reactive oxygen species is also a sign of allostatic load, resulting from the imbalance between cellular metabolic activities and antioxidant defense mechanisms [108,109].

Noteworthy, magnesium interacts with all these stress mediators [17,110,111,112], overall serving an inhibitory function in the regulation and central neurotransmission of the stress response (details of these interactions are summarized in chapter 6).
-end paste-
Thank you so much for your writeup!

Jennifer

@thetaflow, you might find these threads useful:

Here are my posts from those threads where I listed products I’ve used:

And I wrote about some of the hydrosols I use here:

My skincare only includes the soapberry cleanser, hydrosols and monoï oil now as I have found diet to be the most effective thing for beautifying my skin.

OP
T

thetaflow

@thetaflow, you might find these threads useful:

Here are my posts from those threads where I listed products I’ve used:

And I wrote about some of the hydrosols I use here:

My skincare only includes the soapberry cleanser, hydrosols and monoï oil now as I have found diet to be the most effective thing for beautifying my skin.
You've really shared all your beauty secrets with us huh, Jennifer :) Thank you for the threads!

Marcine

Hi everyone,

Thank you.
It's a bad idea to add retinol anything. Accutane destroyed people due to the nature of retinol building in your tissues towards possible toxicity. Shea is a nut. Some ppl think we need some pufa for our skin but you may be better off with a tallow based product.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom