Musings Of A T2 Diabetic Moose On Insulin

MrMoose63

Over the next few months, this Moose is embarking on a journey to see if a variety of foods, supplements and other aids may be able to reignite my oxidative metabolism. I plan on utilizing this thread to enhance my understanding of Type 2 Diabetes and the potential implications of treatment.

Hopefully with some strategic planning I will be able to minimize the huge insulin requirement I now have that regularly exceeds 150 units of insulin each day. (60units Levemir and 90units of Novalog)

I have been a Type 2 diabetic on insulin since December 2012. Interestingly enough, my C peptide testing indicates I still produce a "normal" amount of insulin. Based on this information I have the hope and desire to reduce my resistance as much as possible to, in hopes, one day get off of insulin.

Please feel free to offer and help or insight that you may have on my situation. Shortly I will update with my plan for diet and supplementation.

tankasnowgod

Well Hello Mr. Moose,

I think you'll find a lot of good ideas on this forum. One thing I would suggest is getting an iron panel with TSAT and Ferritin. A lot of Type 2 Diabetics have really high iron, and see improvements in insulin sensitivity by lowering it (usually by blood donation, but there are also alternative and complementary methods). Even if your ferritin is in the "normal" lab range, you may see benefits getting it to near deficiency (emphasis on near). I posted these studies on an alternative thread about restoring glucose control-

Effect of Phlebotomy on Plasma Glucose and Insulin Concentrations | Diabetes Care

Iron depletion by phlebotomy improves insulin resistance in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hyperferritinemia: evidence from a c... - PubMed - NCBI

Iron and insulin resistance. - PubMed - NCBI

Iron stores, blood donation, and insulin sensitivity and secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

I was recounting my personal experience with De-Ironing on this thread- Iron Tests Vary - Normal?

And this was the thread I posted the studies on originally- Aging Associated With A Loss Of Ability To Metabolize Glucose

OP
MrMoose63

MrMoose63

What are your BG levels?
My glucose levels are all over the place, depending on insulin, carbs, fat, protein and stress levels. Last night before bed I was 132mg/dl and this morning after 60units of Levemir overnight I was 211mg/dl. Usually, I can keep in under the 230s, but if I don't take any Novolog at meals I can bounce up to the 300 or 400s quick.

OP
MrMoose63

MrMoose63

Well Hello Mr. Moose,

I think you'll find a lot of good ideas on this forum. One thing I would suggest is getting an iron panel with TSAT and Ferritin. A lot of Type 2 Diabetics have really high iron, and see improvements in insulin sensitivity by lowering it (usually by blood donation, but there are also alternative and complementary methods). Even if your ferritin is in the "normal" lab range, you may see benefits getting it to near deficiency (emphasis on near). I posted these studies on an alternative thread about restoring glucose control-

Effect of Phlebotomy on Plasma Glucose and Insulin Concentrations | Diabetes Care

Iron depletion by phlebotomy improves insulin resistance in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hyperferritinemia: evidence from a c... - PubMed - NCBI

Iron stores, blood donation, and insulin sensitivity and secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

I was recounting my personal experience with De-Ironing on this thread- Iron Tests Vary - Normal?

And this was the thread I posted the studies on originally- Aging Associated With A Loss Of Ability To Metabolize Glucose
Hi tankasnowgod,

Very interesting information, I will have to review in greater detail tonight.

Unfortunately blood donation is a no go for me. From my understanding individuals with blood glucose outside the "normal" range, are not allowed to donate. That would make it a hit or miss for me, but if I can get things in a tighter range I may be able to revisit this option.

tankasnowgod

Unfortunately blood donation is a no go for me. From my understanding individuals with blood glucose outside the "normal" range, are not allowed to donate. That would make it a hit or miss for me, but if I can get things in a tighter range I may be able to revisit this option.

Interesting. In the times I've donated, they have never asked about diabetes or blood sugar control, or directly measured it. The only question that was related was in regards to bovine insulin, and I believe that has more to do with the transmission of a certain disease. I do know that some donation centers (like The Red Cross) add additional restrictions that aren't legally required. You could call a few different donation centers to see what their regulations are in regards to blood sugar (assuming that your doctor hasn't prohibited you from donating).

I think the biggest concern is post-donation hypoglycemia. This is the big reason they want you to eat beforehand, and give you orange juice and cookies afterwards. If you are prone to hypoglycemia, best to avoid donation, at least until your BG control improves.

My glucose levels are all over the place, depending on insulin, carbs, fat, protein and stress levels. Last night before bed I was 132mg/dl and this morning after 60units of Levemir overnight I was 211mg/dl. Usually, I can keep in under the 230s, but if I don't take any Novolog at meals I can bounce up to the 300 or 400s quick.

This topic is an important one to me and I am sure many others as the diabetic experience is growing in severity.

I have been working on controlling BG by trying different means for the last 1.5 years. I have been making some headway with lower fat intake, moderate exercise, more fructose, brewers yeast, high dose aspiring and niacinamide, thiamine and DPPC.

Stress and the effects long term really set the stage for me to become diabetic and RP's work has helped create a big picture context to evaluate the contributing factors.

I am glad you brought up this topic as I put myself into a hyperglycemic state a while back by selectively adding sugar without taking in account that my metabolic state was very disabled from handling it well.

I am interested in your experience and wish you well. I am accumulating data on cronometer and hope to correlate over time a picture worth sharing as to the BG control and thing that have worked for me. I look forward to leaning more from the many experienced and new participants on this forum. Here is a copy of my cronometer report with avg. BG (3x/day).

upload_2016-7-18_20-19-40.png

Interesting. In the times I've donated, they have never asked about diabetes or blood sugar control, or directly measured it. The only question that was related was in regards to bovine insulin, and I believe that has more to do with the transmission of a certain disease. I do know that some donation centers (like The Red Cross) add additional restrictions that aren't legally required. You could call a few different donation centers to see what their regulations are in regards to blood sugar (assuming that your doctor hasn't prohibited you from donating).

I think the biggest concern is post-donation hypoglycemia. This is the big reason they want you to eat beforehand, and give you orange juice and cookies afterwards. If you are prone to hypoglycemia, best to avoid donation, at least until your BG control improves.

Great suggestion, I made an appointment to donate. My ferritin in a test result was slightly over the max. Thanks!

OP
MrMoose63

MrMoose63

So today was setting the baseline for diet. I am going for 5 light meals to hopefully keep stress lower. I am doing things like a fruit and oj smoothie, carrots, yogurt with raisins, coffee w/ a cup of milk and some sugar (twice) and as a final meal I had ground beef, cheese, rice and tomatoes. Overall I it felt good and I felt pretty content with these meals despite their small size. I plan to add a meals like grapes and cheese and steak and potatoes going forward.

On to the supplements. Tonight I took 650mg of aspirin with dinner and 6g of glycine in a little gatorade after my evening walk. Over the next bit I plan to up the aspirin and add in some caffeine and taurine when it arrives. Beyond that I have a few things from Haidut that are coming in the mail as well. Those should be quite exciting to test out.

I appreciate the comments! Please keep them coming.

OP
MrMoose63

MrMoose63

Morning Glucose 217mg/dl
Morning Temp 96.5F
Morning Pulse 66bpm
Morning Blood Pressure 146/100

Overall my BBT and Pulse leave a lot to be desired

I really noticed that adding Vitamin B-1 seemed to really help the morning and ongoing blood glucose, I usually take 100-200gm/day.

On Waking
Temp 97.2
Pulse 67
Glucose 134 mg/dl

A month ago my waking BG was averaging 170-200 mg/dl. I have doubled down of fat intake restriction (even SF) and that has also seemed to help. This past week has been averaging 130-150 mg/dl.

OP
MrMoose63

MrMoose63

Just tested out some Oxidal and Energin.... very very nice combo. Incredible wellbeing on just a single drop of Oxidal. This is going to definitely get interesting.

Plan of attack Aspirin, Caffeine, Oxidal, Energin, Theanine, Taurine, Glycine, Cynomel, and Vitamin E. I will probably have to include some Vit K depending on how high I take the Aspirin.

Cool Mr. Moose,

I make a leaf broth with Kale, Collards and Beet Greens that has a good Vit. K content. I'm curious about your fat consumption. I have seen my BG lower as this process progresses and sleep improving a bit. I have incorporated the Mitolipin and Tyromax and that seems to help as well.

Here is an update looking at almost 3 months of blood glucose and sugar consumption. First the Blood Glucose:

upload_2016-9-5_19-27-4.png

Well Hello Mr. Moose,

I see an improvement in my ability to metabolize sugar after giving blood several weeks ago. I plan to do it again once I pass the waiting period.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals