Looking for Help With Severe Inflammation: Edema and Arthritis

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Thanks for providing a bit of a history on your dad's health. Can I assume that your dad has had no overweight nor obesity issues? That his issues were recent, and that he didn't get vaxed, and that he lives with you and not in a nursing home?

Does he take any prescription medication? What indication do you have about his thyroid status? Does he have a full set of teeth? Does he have periodontitis? Does he have root canals?
Could you share a recent CBC?

The TCM I use has an herb called Huang Lian, which has berberine. I had used berberine as well and the herb itself. Recently I used a formula called San Huang Xie Xin Tang which contains the herb also. The brand Sun Ten from Taiwan is a good one. I bought it though from acuatlanta.net which is based in the US.
No problem. That is correct, I have never seen my dad overweight to any degree. He is quite tall and has never had a weight problem. Yes, these severe issues are recent; he did not get vaxxed, and he does live with me.

He does not take any prescription medication, but he does take a run-of-the-mill prostate supplement that has some good, some bad: zinc, vitamin e, saw palmetto, and beta-sitosterols. Last week he started a supplement named GoutCare, which contains: Yucca Schidegera,Turmeric (Curcumin), Certified Silymarin Extract, Artichoke Powder (Cynara Scolymus), Aged Garlic (Allium Sativum). He says that this has brought him some relief. In addition he's started taking MSM. I've told him to stop the MSM, to get a feel for what the GoutCare is accomplishing. The only indication about thyroid would be typical hypothyroid signs, which are exaggerated in his current state: fatigue, feels cold, easily stressed; which reminds me, I should add a glaring life-long adult health issue of his of losing his hair relatively early and being quite bald currently, though he has some hair. As well, he does have the typical age spots of the elderly, but his is quite bad in spots. He does have his teeth, though he's had his share of dental work; but, no false teeth. I'm not certain about the periodontitis, because he hasn't complained of any problems and he doesn't go to the dentist; I do know it runs my family, but he doesn't have any real trouble with certain foods, or tooth pain, like those family members who have it. I believe he may have some root canals, but I'll need to confirm.

My dad is anti-doctor and anti-testing, so I have no CBC. I know if things get worse, he may have a change of heart on that.

Interesting about the berberine, I've been wanting to look into that further, which I'll do now. I'll take a look at the herb website but it will take some time and research to really understand it. I have nothing against TCM and have gone to a TCM doctor myself years back, I just lack the confidence in understanding and knowing it enough to make use of it. So little time; so much to know.

Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
Mossy

Mossy

Read through this thread for some ideas…

Very good. I'll add that to my list. I did notice the anti-gluten topic, on page one, which I've suggested to my dad a few weeks back, but he was not too receptive. I'll have to approach him again with that.

Thank you for the reference.

Last edited:
OP
Mossy

Mossy

I'd focus on clearing this up first. Artemisia annua and thuja are specific for this. Tinctures. Start w/1 drop of each 3x per day for a few days. If gets better increase dose gradually to 3dr 3x. If worsens, decrease to 1dr. 1x. But do not stop for a weei. Else continue 1dr 3x for about two weeks.

The above two herbs should help with joint infl. too.

Additionally for joints w/swelling try symphitum 200c (homeopathic) 1 pellet
1x. Or symphitum salve or leaf taped to the joint.

Aspirin helps too, btw.

Parsley is good for kidneys, gravel root too.
Interesting. I did order artemisinin in the middle of his Covid situation, but I couldn't convince him to take it because it makes me quite sick when I take it. Maybe I"ll make a tea and have us both try it again slowly. The thuja I'm unfamiliar with, but have added it to my list.

I've noted the symphytum, and will look into it as time permits.

Aspirin is definitely on my list, but as with me it makes him feel off. Anything that he notices a negative or abnormal effect from he shies away from. But, will try again as he is willing.

Good to know about parsley and gravel root. Added to my list for more research.

Thank you.

RealNeat

I'm surprised no one has recommended a Co2 bath yet. In my understanding that should really help dump excess water. If he's open to it of course. Along with other things to help structure water, red light, especially infrared, grounding (on real earth not a grounding mat)

For herbals I'd do honey, dandelion leaf and ginger.

( I can't speak to any contraindications of anything I've recommended) in a healthy body with no pharmaceuticals or major organ failure it should be safe?

He's had so called COVID but has he had the mRNA thing?

Mazzle

I was suffering badly with oedema - lower legs. Came down with an ulcerated sore throat and chest infection so was taking asprin 3-4 times a day. Oedema has gone! Amazing. I am carrying on with it.

Very good. I'll add that to my list. I did notice the anti-gluten topic, on page one, which I've suggested to my dad a few weeks back, but he was not too receptive. I'll have to approach him again with that.

Thank you for the reference.
The elderly giving up their bread is like taking a bottle away from a baby, good luck with your dad. My dad has given it up with remarkable results , but it doesn’t last too long.

yerrag

No problem. That is correct, I have never seen my dad overweight to any degree. He is quite tall and has never had a weight problem. Yes, these severe issues are recent; he did not get vaxxed, and he does live with me.

He does not take any prescription medication, but he does take a run-of-the-mill prostate supplement that has some good, some bad: zinc, vitamin e, saw palmetto, and beta-sitosterols. Last week he started a supplement named GoutCare, which contains: Yucca Schidegera,Turmeric (Curcumin), Certified Silymarin Extract, Artichoke Powder (Cynara Scolymus), Aged Garlic (Allium Sativum). He says that this has brought him some relief. In addition he's started taking MSM. I've told him to stop the MSM, to get a feel for what the GoutCare is accomplishing. The only indication about thyroid would be typical hypothyroid signs, which are exaggerated in his current state: fatigue, feels cold, easily stressed; which reminds me, I should add a glaring life-long adult health issue of his of losing his hair relatively early and being quite bald currently, though he has some hair. As well, he does have the typical age spots of the elderly, but his is quite bad in spots. He does have his teeth, though he's had his share of dental work; but, no false teeth. I'm not certain about the periodontitis, because he hasn't complained of any problems and he doesn't go to the dentist; I do know it runs my family, but he doesn't have any real trouble with certain foods, or tooth pain, like those family members who have it. I believe he may have some root canals, but I'll need to confirm.

My dad is anti-doctor and anti-testing, so I have no CBC. I know if things get worse, he may have a change of heart on that.

Interesting about the berberine, I've been wanting to look into that further, which I'll do now. I'll take a look at the herb website but it will take some time and research to really understand it. I have nothing against TCM and have gone to a TCM doctor myself years back, I just lack the confidence in understanding and knowing it enough to make use of it. So little time; so much to know.

Thank you.
It's a positive that your dad is anti-doctor. That means at the very least he isn't dealing with the side effects of taking prescription drugs, as it makes fixing his condition more complicated.

While he is taking supplements, I'm not sure if supps really address his issues frontally. Supps can help, but often becomes the substitute for prescription drugs in the sense that people become dependent on them. Sometimes they can also be covering up issues by just eliminating symptoms.

I don't remember if I mentioned acid base balance being important. As if your dad is high in uric acid, acid base balance is important as uric acid crystals precipitate and cause joint pains. Some doctors prescribe baking soda together with uric acid meds such as Allopurinol, the Allopurinol I don't like as uric acid is protective as an antioxidant and when it's high the body is making it for a good reason. And Allopurinol lowers uric acid. But baking soda is a good idea but still as a band aid to help deal with the situation but not really fixing the cause. But for most people that's good enough.

The problem is knowing how much to take and this is very contextual. It would be helpful to monitor urine pH and saliva pH with Hydrion pH strips to get an idea of how much baking soda to take. I've made some posts on how to use these pH strips and you can search for them.

Since your dad has edema, it makes the case stronger that the arthritis has to do with acid-base balance issues.

We won't know why he had acid base balance issues because he is anti-testing also so we'll just have to leave it at that.

The cause can be metabolic, or microbial, and when microbial, a lot of times it's about taking antibiotics. But given the bias of this forum towards taking antibiotics in its adherence to germ theory, it's hard to offer a different approach in pleomorphism and terrain theory. But as you may be familiar with my difficulty in lowering my blood pressure over the years, I'm now making progress in slowly lowering my blood pressure using approaches based on this theory.

Last edited:

oxphoser

Hello RPF,

My elderly father has developed severe edema and arthritis. After scouring this forum I've yet to find anyone with a success story for severe edema.

I've taken note of urea, salt, taurine, B1, progesterone, pregnenolone, electrolytes, calcium, magnesium, MB, as potential remedies.

I've read Ray's articles and listened to a podcast of his that mention salt and progesterone.

I've like to hear of any success stories, should there be any.

@Regina, @yerrag, @Philomath
I see you've dealt with the edema issue for a parent and was wondering if you have anything to share (if time and interest permits). Thank you.
Hello Mossy,

I had pretty bad edema in 2016. My elbows were baggy, my fingers and toes were puffy and the tops of my feet and hands were puffy. I started taking 330 mg of aspirin, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 drop of Thorne research K2 mixed with water. I did this three times a day. My edema cleared up in a few weeks and has never returned. I still take this mixture every day, three times a day. No edema. Doctors never approve when I tell them I take a gram of aspirin a day.

I also made the usual Peat changes in my diet such as not eating pufa, taking thyroid and consuming at least 150 grams of sugar a day in the form of OJ, fruit, milk and sugary drinks.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

I'm surprised no one has recommended a Co2 bath yet. In my understanding that should really help dump excess water. If he's open to it of course. Along with other things to help structure water, red light, especially infrared, grounding (on real earth not a grounding mat)

For herbals I'd do honey, dandelion leaf and ginger.

( I can't speak to any contraindications of anything I've recommended) in a healthy body with no pharmaceuticals or major organ failure it should be safe?

He's had so called COVID but has he had the mRNA thing?
I will read up further on a C02 bath. I don't think he'd be adverse to that idea, as he showed me a few years back a canister of oxygen that he had bought, to my surprise.

Good idea on the dandelion leaf and ginger, with honey. My brothers have been trying to get him to take ginger with thyme and honey.

No, he's majorly anti-vaccine.

Thank you for the input.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

I was suffering badly with oedema - lower legs. Came down with an ulcerated sore throat and chest infection so was taking asprin 3-4 times a day. Oedema has gone! Amazing. I am carrying on with it.
Oh, excellent. That is already on my list, but he had felt off on it the last time he took it. I will relay your success and see if that is motivation enough.

Thank you.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Edema of the lower extremities can be sign of prostate cancer.
Very interesting. His brother had prostate cancer. Progesterone comes to mind as the #1 suggestion Dr. Peat would give.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

The elderly giving up their bread is like taking a bottle away from a baby, good luck with your dad. My dad has given it up with remarkable results , but it doesn’t last too long.
You aren't kidding! He loves his bread.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

It's a positive that your dad is anti-doctor. That means at the very least he isn't dealing with the side effects of taking prescription drugs, as it makes fixing his condition more complicated.

While he is taking supplements, I'm not sure if supps really address his issues frontally. Supps can help, but often becomes the substitute for prescription drugs in the sense that people become dependent on them. Sometimes they can also be covering up issues by just eliminating symptoms.

I don't remember if I mentioned acid base balance being important. As if your dad is high in uric acid, acid base balance is important as uric acid crystals precipitate and cause joint pains. Some doctors prescribe baking soda together with uric acid meds such as Allopurinol, the Allopurinol I don't like as uric acid is protective as an antioxidant and when it's high the body is making it for a good reason. And Allopurinol lowers uric acid. But baking soda is a good idea but still as a band aid to help deal with the situation but not really fixing the cause. But for most people that's good enough.

The problem is knowing how much to take and this is very contextual. It would be helpful to monitor urine pH and saliva pH with Hydrion pH strips to get an idea of how much baking soda to take. I've made some posts on how to use these pH strips and you can search for them.

Since your dad has edema, it makes the case stronger that the arthritis has to do with acid-base balance issues.

We won't know why he had acid base balance issues because he is anti-testing also so we'll just have to leave it at that.

The cause can be metabolic, or microbial, and when microbial, a lot of times it's about taking antibiotics. But given the bias of this forum towards taking antibiotics in its adherence to germ theory, it's hard to offer a different approach in pleomorphism and terrain theory. But as you may be familiar with my difficulty in lowering my blood pressure over the years, I'm now making progress in slowly lowering my blood pressure using approaches based on this theory.
I agree with you about the supps, at least to some degree.

The uric acid issue is one that the supplement GoatCare addresses, and I'd say has definitely helped. The whole objective of that supplement is to reduce uric acid. I've also recommended lemon water to him which nearly repulses him. I will definitely consider the baking soda; but as with all things, if it gives me side effects I have to consider it may do the same to him: I feel very bad on baking soda.

That is actually a good idea, to monitor the pH. I'll search out your threads.

With what you and Regina mention, I won't abandon the antibiotic approach; at the very least I'll consider it from a non-prescription approach first.

Thank you.

BTW, it turns out he does have some false teeth and has had root canals for certain.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Hello Mossy,

I had pretty bad edema in 2016. My elbows were baggy, my fingers and toes were puffy and the tops of my feet and hands were puffy. I started taking 330 mg of aspirin, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 drop of Thorne research K2 mixed with water. I did this three times a day. My edema cleared up in a few weeks and has never returned. I still take this mixture every day, three times a day. No edema. Doctors never approve when I tell them I take a gram of aspirin a day.

I also made the usual Peat changes in my diet such as not eating pufa, taking thyroid and consuming at least 150 grams of sugar a day in the form of OJ, fruit, milk and sugary drinks.
Hello oxphoser,

Wow, another success story with aspirin; and your baking soda approach backs up yerrag's thoughts. Did you feel no side effects worth mentioning witht the aspirin?

Good to hear of your success. Thank you.

RealNeat

I will read up further on a C02 bath. I don't think he'd be adverse to that idea, as he showed me a few years back a canister of oxygen that he had bought, to my surprise.

Good idea on the dandelion leaf and ginger, with honey. My brothers have been trying to get him to take ginger with thyme and honey.

Thank you for the input.
Another report from a customer at the natural food store says she relieved her swelling and water retention with ginger oil rubbed on her legs. Not sure if neat or diluted.

You aren't kidding! He loves his bread.

“After decades of “education” to promote eating starchy foods, obesity is a bigger problem than ever, and more people are dying of diabetes than previously. The age-specific incidence of most cancers is increasing, too, and there is evidence that starch, such as pasta, contributes to breast cancer, and possibly other types of cancer.” -Ray Peat

RealNeat

Thank you for the input.
Co2 baths are very painless, you don't even have to remove clothing (more specific directions on the forum search "Co2 bath"). Just supervise and make sure head stays above the bathtub (invisible layer of Co2) A local welding shop should be able to supply you.

yerrag

I agree with you about the supps, at least to some degree.

The uric acid issue is one that the supplement GoatCare addresses, and I'd say has definitely helped. The whole objective of that supplement is to reduce uric acid. I've also recommended lemon water to him which nearly repulses him. I will definitely consider the baking soda; but as with all things, if it gives me side effects I have to consider it may do the same to him: I feel very bad on baking soda.

That is actually a good idea, to monitor the pH. I'll search out your threads.

With what you and Regina mention, I won't abandon the antibiotic approach; at the very least I'll consider it from a non-prescription approach first.

Thank you.

BTW, it turns out he does have some false teeth and has had root canals for certain.

Balance is important. Getting pH information on urine, saliva, and blood (thrun breath rate) gives an idea of the biochemical balance in the body. That is just a start. It isn't invasive and not hard to do. The problem with people is incredulity ( like 'it can't be that simple otherwise the doctors would be doing it') and when over this hump of incredulity, the next hurdle is inertia.

Without this first step, imho it is hard to proceed without a lot of second guessing. Second guessing isn't part of a sustained process of healing.

It is however just the key for the front door. There are more locked doors to open. As there would be more questions to be answered. But you at the very least are asking the right questions, and not circling the drain

I think that your dad understands this process or he would be like most beagle-like people in just doing what he's told by the experts/masters.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom