Let’s be honest, we’re aging at the same rate as normies

Gadsie

Speaking for myself here, but I’ve been peating for ~7 years now and don’t really look younger than anyone my age, probably even older (that’s been like that all my life though, also I’m balding).

I will never give up peating, but often I wonder whether anything besides just not being overweight and not smoking actually matters all that much.

And yes I’m using looks as a measure of age. I don’t believe the body works in isolation where you can look old but inside you’re somehow “young”, it’s all the same organism.

LadyRae

@Gadsie
Yes, I generally agree with you. It depends on where people are coming from, and how bad off they were before they started eating well and sleeping well, etc.

I know one thing for certain that's not going to help anyone age better and that's loading on a bunch of weight with "Peating". Unfortunately there's a lot of stupid advice recommending that around here.

There may be a concentration of folks within this form that overtrained and over exercised, consequently there is also an insidious vein of attitude glorifying sedantarism (that may not be an actual word but I kind of like it).

The attempts to biohack one's way out of aging is not just confined to the ilks of the bulletproof coffee and Dave Asprey people.... It's alive and well within this forum. Which I suppose is kind of fun to play around with different things as long as your fundamental health is solid...

In my experience good health and slowed aging simply come down to plenty of sleep, a good amount of natural sunlight without sunburning, moderate exercise (energizing, not exhaustive) which can vary greatly for people of course, and balanced nutrition that makes you feel good. 🌞

CastorTroy

I'd be surprised if the "Peat's diet" based on sugar and saturated fat didnt't rather accelerate aging, which is what I think. I love the guy's overall work and talking on biology and metabolism fields, I learned a lot from it and I'm grateful for that. But some of its dietary choices promoting sugar and saturated fat, I think are terrible and very probably will accelerate aging. One of the things I agree with is processed food avoidance, which includes the refined seed oils. But other than that, mediterranean diet, including local sourced vegetables, unrefined starches with its fiber, fruits, olive oil, avocados, fresh milk and, yes, a moderate amount of fatty fish like sardines, anchovies, etc... is the way to go to avoid accelerated aging.

DonLore

I'd be surprised if the "Peat's diet" based on sugar and saturated fat didnt't rather accelerate aging, which is what I think. I love the guy's overall work and talking on biology and metabolism fields, I learned a lot from it and I'm grateful for that. But some of its dietary choices promoting sugar and saturated fat, I think are terrible and very probably will accelerate aging. One of the things I agree with is processed food avoidance, which includes the refined seed oils. But other than that, mediterranean diet, including local sourced vegetables, unrefined starches with its fiber, fruits, olive oil, avocados, fresh milk and, yes, a moderate amount of fatty fish like sardines, anchovies, etc... is the way to go to avoid accelerated aging.
There is nothing wrong with saturated fat. But I agree people should also probably use EVOO and wild caught seafood, but you cant really blame good old butter or fatty beef. White sugar is idiotic, how so many people on this forum like it is amazing. Raw honey or blackstrap molasses are 1000x better

Razvan

Idk bro, been peating since 17 years old, i'm 24 years old people think i'm 19.
Maybe genetics, but envinronment, type of job and diet contribute the most especially the first two.

Limon9

Increasingly I understand why Dr. Peat said that people don't talk about anything valuable on forums.

false how can you say that
if you would feel like ***t on it you would have stopped it a long time ago or you are stupid for not listening to your body
do u sleep well and have motivation and energy, and you will know the answer to aging

Jonk

A lot of us who's here are because of substantial health issues so right of the bat if aging is seen as diminishing health the starting point when beginning implementing "peating" is important if we are to compare.

Also there's no one size fits all. Just because one eats all the peat approved foods and substances doesn't mean they are on a "peat" or healthy diet. To me it often looks like people only eating the standard peat foods lack a certain specificity to their own situation, still wanting a pre-packaged formula to good health.

I would say I look young but in a not flattering way, more like a bit boyish facial features. I look more masculine since starting Peating a few years ago but I still want a more masculine/older look. This doesn't mean that I've not aged health wise, but probably moreso than a healthy person. Probably low androgens/hypo etc

Herbie

We all live in the same environment as normies which is killing us all. Ray Peat has always said that our environment is being destroyed at a exponential rate. This is why we have to take hormones and drugs as a bandaid. It's dire in the west and likely the entire planet due to planned scarcity making us partake in the rat race.

Diogo

I'm taller;

Hair is less tough, which gave it a more natural curly/unique look;

Penis is thicker(haven't even tried K2/D3 or DHT/DHEA);

Have more overall energy;

Can actually read something and focus on what I'm reading, even if only for a short period of time;

Can connect with people, instead of isolating and being absolutely non verbal or no action;

Just happier, really.

All I ever tried were a few doses of Niacinamide(2g/pill)
- A few doses of Pregnenolone
- A Whole lot of MB(which gave me full curly beard, even in spots where it fails/hair grew crazy fast)
- About 6 full months on Cascara Sagrada(Penis got smaller and thinner in this phase)
- Aspirin(the only thing I am taking currently, which varies but it usually goes to 1,5g/day)//(Penis got more than 2x thickeness on low doses,
also was bigger flacid)

VitoScaletta

I'm taller;

Can actually read something and focus on what I'm reading, even if only for a short period of time;

Can connect with people, instead of isolating and being absolutely non verbal or no action;

Just happier, really.

- A Whole lot of MB(which gave me full curly beard, even in spots where it fails/hair grew crazy fast)
- About 6 full months on Cascara Sagrada(Penis got smaller and thinner in this phase)
- Aspirin(the only thing I am taking currently, which varies but it usually goes to 1,5g/day)//(Penis got more than 2x thickeness on low doses,
also was bigger flacid)
have you noticed any negative side effects from aspirin?

L_C

A bit disagree, mostly because I do see some positive changes in my looks. I have been peating for three years. The biggest impact on me besides eliminating pufa was to eliminate endotoxins, the allergens and stress and supplement with progesterone (which I feel like I dont need anymore). Also, moving away from cities.

Elie

Forum Supporter
For me it is the stress of overwork and responsibilities, living in the big city, commuting a lot.
Peating didn't prevent me gaining plenty of weight from my late thirties to today (50).
At least i have a head full of hair and generally healthy and energetic.

Darkmortal

bro you just summed up the ray peat diet, I don’t understand what you were considering “peating” lol

EvanHinkle

I was talking about this with my wife, (we’ve been doing this about 5 years now) and I can appreciate what @Gadsie is saying. I think, like others have said, that there’s a chasm between Peat’s words, and the interpretations of them on this forum and elsewhere.

Also, speaking from personal experience, I think people simply eat too much for their current metabolism. Can one raise their metabolism? Yes it would seem, but when you overeat you will gain fat, raise estrogen, get yourself a case of diabetes, and give yourself fatty liver. These new metabolic problems have their own set of symptoms that often leave people pretty confused about why the whole “Peat thing” isn’t working. It’s not 3000 calories that’s gonna turn off that excess cortisol, it’s the availability of fuel when glycogen stores are empty that addresses cortisol.

I think people seem to overemphasize quantity over frequency. Once the liver improves and glycogen stores are better you don’t have to eat as frequently and pro-metabolic hormones will work better, (Peat has often said a malfunctioning liver will interfere with many exogenous hormones).

That said, problems come from all over the spectrum, so who knows if this is helpful or applicable to anyone.

golder

I'm taller;

Just happier, really.

also was bigger flacid)
Interesting post, how much/regularly methylene blue do you use?

Normal Human

I think generally the "signs" of health/"slowing-aging" are subtle (sparkle in eye, tenor/energy in the voice, "pep in the step", ability to feel love/connection to nature and others, ability for sustained cognitive effort/focus, ability to weigh different perspectives, etc.). These cant be faked are likely to be positively effected by improving systemic health.

The more obvious/visible "signs" of health/youth such as fewer wrinkles, improved hairline, plumper lips, fuller eyelashes, rosy cheeks, more prominent cheekbones are all things that can be (and are!) faked with plastic surgery. These things are so common amongst people we see on TV, Instagram, YouTube, our politicians (just look at Democrat debates from 2020, none of the people in their 70s-80s have forehead wrinkles nor can they raise their eyebrows expressiveness). They are so common that they skew our perception of health and youth.

bloooeh

I resonate more with @LadyRae and @Razvan about sleep quality, lifestyle, environment, type of job, & diet. I also like to add that my stress level have been decreased since following RP's work. I'm in my early 40's but some people think I'm in my 20's or 30's, maybe genetics? idk. I'm Asian descent. One great thing that happened for me was eliminating PUFAs in my diet as I was a religious CLO consumer and Dave Asprey follower (along with other IG influencers) back then. Overall, I have positive results after finding RP and feel like I'm slowing the aging process.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals