Lavender Works As Well As Benzodiazepine Lorazepam (Ativan) For Anxiety Disorder In Human Study

Clyde

A multi-center, double-blind, randomised study of the Lavender oil preparation Silexan in comparison to Lorazepam for generalized anxiety disorder​

H Woelk 1, S Schläfke
Affiliations expand

Abstract​

Generalized and persistent anxiety, accompanied by nervousness and other symptoms (Generalised Anxiety Disorder, GAD) is frequent in the general population and leads to benzodiazepine usage. Unfortunately, these substances induce sedation and have a high potential for drug abuse, and there is thus a need for alternatives. As the anxiolytic properties of lavender have already been demonstrated in pharmacological studies and small-scale clinical trials, it was postulated that lavender has a positive effect in GAD. A controlled clinical study was then performed to evaluate the efficacy of silexan, a new oral lavender oil capsule preparation, versus a benzodiazepine. In this study, the efficacy of a 6-week-intake of silexan compared to lorazepam was investigated in adults with GAD. The primary target variable was the change in the Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HAM-A-total score) as an objective measurement of the severity of anxiety between baseline and week 6. The results suggest that silexan effectively ameliorates generalized anxiety comparable to a common benzodiazepine (lorazepam). The mean of the HAM-A-total score decreased clearly and to a similar extent in both groups (by 11.3+/-6.7 points (45%) in the silexan group and by 11.6+/-6.6 points (46%) in the lorazepam group, from 25+/-4 points at baseline in both groups). During the active treatment period, the two HAM-A subscores "somatic anxiety" (HAM-A subscore I) and "psychic anxiety" (HAM-A subscore II) also decreased clearly and to a similar extent in both groups. The changes in other subscores measured during the study, such as the SAS (Self-rating Anxiety Scale), PSWQ-PW (Penn State Worry Questionnaire), SF 36 Health survey Questionnaire and Clinical Global Impressions of severity of disorder (CGI item 1, CGI item 2, CGI item 3), and the results of the sleep diary demonstrated comparable positive effects of the two compounds. In conclusion, our results demonstrate that silexan is as effective as lorazepam in adults with GAD. The safety of silexan was also demonstrated. Since lavender oil showed no sedative effects in our study and has no potential for drug abuse, silexan appears to be an effective and well tolerated alternative to benzodiazepines for amelioration of generalised anxiety.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Very interesting. Have you tried lavender? Would it work for sleep, too?

How much would you take? Would you take it in oil or as a herbal extract?

OP
C

Clyde

I've never tried it but hopefully someone else has. The study uses 80mg of silexan lavender oil. I uploaded the full study for anyone interested.

Attachments

• woelk2010.pdf
    204.9 KB · Views: 16

Kimster

Forum Supporter

Years ago I was prescribed 'Lavela WS 1265 ' by a Naturopathic Doctor as I'm kinda wired. It's in a soft gel formula. 80 mg English Lavender Oil per soft gel.
You take it first thing in the morning with a full glass of water otherwise it upsets your stomach. Made by Integrative Theraputics, Green Bay, WI product of Germany. I get from Fullscript.
Ironically, I only just now read the other ingredients which are canola oil, gelatin (capsule), glycerin, sorbitol, annato extract for color.
The Lavender in the capsule is (Lavandula angustifolia) (Silexan TM brand)

Perhaps Georgi will make something. Fingers crossed this tiny bit of canola isn't hurting me. I've removed all seed oils from my diet and have avoided Canola, Soybean, Veg oils for a good 20 years.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Some studies have shown lavender as an endocrine disruptor.

GTW

Some studies have shown lavender as an endocrine disruptor.
Host, dose, timing and combinations make the poison and the cure. (Paracelsus)
Disruptor? Generally an agonist and antagonist depending on dose and which hormone.

Ginali

Forum Supporter
Oh... organic Lavender tonic, whether in the form of water or cream, with a high concentration of real lavender, is excellent for acne-prone facial skin. BUT, you know what? I have to drag myself through the day when I use it! It's so terrible - my energy disappears within 15 to 30 minutes after applying it!!! No, no, no! There must be something not good with it/ in it.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Host, dose, timing and combinations make the poison and the cure. (Paracelsus)
Disruptor? Generally an agonist and antagonist depending on dose and which hormone.
I have been trying to avoid lavender and tea tree for few years now.

Ginali

Forum Supporter
I have been trying to avoid lavender and tea tree for few years now.

Oh my! Thank you so so much!!!!:oops:

Kimster

Forum Supporter
Oh... organic Lavender tonic, whether in the form of water or cream, with a high concentration of real lavender, is excellent for acne-prone facial skin. BUT, you know what? I have to drag myself through the day when I use it! It's so terrible - my energy disappears within 15 to 30 minutes after applying it!!! No, no, no! There must be something not good with it/ in it.
Why not apply 30 minutes before bed. I believe this why they sell lavender pillows & sprays for bedtime. Then you'll get the benefits for beautiful skin while you slumber!

OP
C

Clyde

Years ago I was prescribed 'Lavela WS 1265 ' by a Naturopathic Doctor as I'm kinda wired. It's in a soft gel formula. 80 mg English Lavender Oil per soft gel.
You take it first thing in the morning with a full glass of water otherwise it upsets your stomach. Made by Integrative Theraputics, Green Bay, WI product of Germany. I get from Fullscript.
Ironically, I only just now read the other ingredients which are canola oil, gelatin (capsule), glycerin, sorbitol, annato extract for color.
The Lavender in the capsule is (Lavandula angustifolia) (Silexan TM brand)

Perhaps Georgi will make something. Fingers crossed this tiny bit of canola isn't hurting me. I've removed all seed oils from my diet and have avoided Canola, Soybean, Veg oils for a good 20 years.
Thanks for posting your experience Kimster. Did you notice a relaxing effect?

Last edited:

Kimster

Forum Supporter
Thanks for posting your experience Kimster. Did you notice a relaxing effect?
Yes, it takes the edge off things. Not stoned like or alcohol, an ease. I do drink coffee and always have yet I am a naturally wired , energetic person. I went to an acupuncturist for awhile and he always told me that I was his only client he had to slow down. Everyone ekse he tried to speed up. I just naturally idle high.
I'm into breathing techniques now and that slows me down the best. I add visualization as well. Anchoring & grounding into the earth!
Truth be told if you don't drink a full glass of water it rips your stomach up. I'm starting to favor breathing more. It's free and I like the mind/body connection element of it.

OP
C

Clyde

Yes, it takes the edge off things. Not stoned like or alcohol, an ease. I do drink coffee and always have yet I am a naturally wired , energetic person. I went to an acupuncturist for awhile and he always told me that I was his only client he had to slow down. Everyone ekse he tried to speed up. I just naturally idle high.
I'm into breathing techniques now and that slows me down the best. I add visualization as well. Anchoring & grounding into the earth!
Truth be told if you don't drink a full glass of water it rips your stomach up. I'm starting to favor breathing more. It's free and I like the mind/body connection element of it.
Thanks again for the report. I'll remember to take it with food or water when I have a chance to try it.

Some people mentioned risks but it's been used for thousands of years so I bet it's safer than most pharmaceuticals. I would probably watch for issues if I planned on using it regularly and long term but hopefully it makes me so relaxed and unafraid that the idea of waking up looking like Dolly Parton is nothing but funny.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals