L-type calcium channel blockers (which cross the blood-brain barrier) reverse Parkinson's disease neurons

Candeias

‘Rejuvenation’ protects neurons in mouse models of Parkinson’s disease

"Our studies suggest that the unusual reliance of these neurons on L-type Cav1.3 Ca2+ channels to drive their maintained, rhythmic pacemaking renders them vulnerable to stressors thought to contribute to disease progression. The reliance on these channels increases with age, as juvenile dopamine-containing neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta use pacemaking mechanisms common to neurons not affected in Parkinson’s disease. These mechanisms remain latent in adulthood, and blocking Cav1.3 Ca2+ channels in adult neurons induces a reversion to the juvenile form of pacemaking. Such blocking (‘rejuvenation’) protects these neurons in both in vitro and in vivo models of Parkinson’s disease, pointing to a new strategy that could slow or stop the progression of the disease."

Attachments

• nature05865.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
OP
Candeias

Candeias

Nimodipine as the most BBB penetrating CCB drug

Attachments

• uchida1997.pdf
    757.5 KB · Views: 2

haidut

Forum Supporter
‘Rejuvenation’ protects neurons in mouse models of Parkinson’s disease

"Our studies suggest that the unusual reliance of these neurons on L-type Cav1.3 Ca2+ channels to drive their maintained, rhythmic pacemaking renders them vulnerable to stressors thought to contribute to disease progression. The reliance on these channels increases with age, as juvenile dopamine-containing neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta use pacemaking mechanisms common to neurons not affected in Parkinson’s disease. These mechanisms remain latent in adulthood, and blocking Cav1.3 Ca2+ channels in adult neurons induces a reversion to the juvenile form of pacemaking. Such blocking (‘rejuvenation’) protects these neurons in both in vitro and in vivo models of Parkinson’s disease, pointing to a new strategy that could slow or stop the progression of the disease."

Eugenol is the one of the most potent OTC calcium blockers. Euegnol is also a MAo-B inhibitor, and the latter are officially prescribed for Parkinson's. Cyproheptadine is also a decent calcium blocker.

Trambak

Eugenol is the one of the most potent OTC calcium blockers. Euegnol is also a MAo-B inhibitor, and the latter are officially prescribed for Parkinson's. Cyproheptadine is also a decent calcium blocker.
Searching the internet, but can't find any suggested dose equivalent for eugonol to replace , for example, 5 or 10 mg of Amlodipin... Do you have some idea, Haidut? (Hypothetical, not-medical advise.) Or someone else with knowledge of this?

Starting to take 2 drops of clove oil in the morning, 3 after lunch in my coffee, and couple of drops in the evening. We´ll see...

TucsonJJ

OP
Candeias

Candeias

Calcium channel blockers: molecular docking and inhibition studies on carbonic anhydrase I and II isoenzymes

"It was found that calcium channel blockers (nimodipine, nilvadipine, nitrendipine, isradipine, and nifedipine) exhibit potential inhibitor properties for hCA I and hCA II. IC50 values of hCA I were in the range of 9.24-58.00 μM, and Ki constants were in the range of 7.60 ± 2.68-35.92 ± 16.01 μM. IC50 values of hCA II were in the range of 70.00-138.60 μM, and Ki constants were in the range of 48.30 ± 9.81-162.35 ± 20.47 μM. Nimodipine presented the highest docking score and had competitive inhibition, the benzene and pyridine rings were found to enter the cavity for hCA I. Nifedipine and isradipine did not affect hCA II. Among these drugs, nitrendipine was found to be the most potent inhibitor for hCA I and nimodipine for hCA II. These compounds may be useful for CA inhibitors"

Pablo Cruise

Searching the internet, but can't find any suggested dose equivalent for eugonol to replace , for example, 5 or 10 mg of Amlodipin... Do you have some idea, Haidut? (Hypothetical, not-medical advise.) Or someone else with knowledge of this?

Starting to take 2 drops of clove oil in the morning, 3 after lunch in my coffee, and couple of drops in the evening. We´ll see...
As far as dosing goes, my guess is either 30mg daily or twice daily. That is more of a antihypertensive dose though this drug we use is more for cerebral swelling in higher doses, ie, every 4 hours. Most Ca++ channel blockers that I can think of are taken daily or twice daily orally. Just a guess for PD. I would think a safe dose if nothing else.

Trambak

As far as dosing goes, my guess is either 30mg daily or twice daily. That is more of a antihypertensive dose though this drug we use is more for cerebral swelling in higher doses, ie, every 4 hours. Most Ca++ channel blockers that I can think of are taken daily or twice daily orally. Just a guess for PD. I would think a safe dose if nothing else.
Thank you, Pablo! I'm on Amlodipin for my hypertension, together with Losartan. I would be happy to phase the Amlodipin out.
Amlodipin only helps me down to 155/90 anyway. But I got a big change down to 120-130/70 when I started taurin 5 g morning and evening some weeks ago. I now have had to temporary suspend taking the taurin because my doctors thought it would entfere with some kidney stress test they want me to take.... My GP hadn't even heard about taurin and hypertension.

Now trying to figure out how many ml clove oil equals 30 mg. I guess I just need to buy a mg measuring scale. Or try an "educated" guess.

OP
Candeias

Candeias

Thank you, Pablo! I'm on Amlodipin for my hypertension, together with Losartan. I would be happy to phase the Amlodipin out.
Amlodipin only helps me down to 155/90 anyway. But I got a big change down to 120-130/70 when I started taurin 5 g morning and evening some weeks ago. I now have had to temporary suspend taking the taurin because my doctors thought it would entfere with some kidney stress test they want me to take.... My GP hadn't even heard about taurin and hypertension.

Now trying to figure out how many ml clove oil equals 30 mg. I guess I just need to buy a mg measuring scale. Or try an "educated" guess.

Amlodipine is not only a vasodilator but also chelates iron in the heart. Rare side effects at lower doses.

Amlodipine: Can act as an antioxidant in patients with transfusion-dependent β-thalassemia? A double-blind, controlled, crossover trial

Pablo Cruise

Do you mean Taurine? Clove oil.. I have not idea of an equivalency.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom