Incoherent Speech And Word Loss

cjm

Piracetam might be an option. I think Peat likes it.

"In a pharmacological approach, reduced expenditure of glycogen, ATP, and creatine phosphate (Dardymov, 1971), combined with increased protein synthesis (Rozin, 1971) and increased resistance of cells and organisms to stress, can be achieved with ginseng, eleutherococcus, and 2-benzyl-benzimidazole (Rusin, 1971), used singly or in combination. Piracetam, an analog of GABA, improves learning, increases resistance to toxins or oxygen deprivation, and increases bilateral symmetry of function in the cerebral hemispheres (Giurgea, 1973)." BIOPHYSICAL APPROACH TO ALTERED CONSCIOUSNESS (one of my all-time Peat favorites)

+1, too. Years ago, when my head would spin for days on end and nothing made any sense at all, Piracetam was one of the only things able to cut through the fog, so to speak. It's not a silver bullet -- nothing is -- but methinks you could get some mileage out of it alongside some of the other suggestions here. Definitely +1 for pregnenolone as well. Again, just a tool, but a very good one.

Edit: if Piracetam is on the table, you could look into Noopept as well.

noopept-vs-piracetam.png

Last edited:
OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

+1 meatbag Progesterone sources Toxinless
+1 milkboi Piracetam
+1 cjm Piracetam
+1 Kammas Aspirin
+1 mrchibbs Pregnenolone Health Natura

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

@cjm, I searched for "Piracetam" and all the products for sale contained herbal mixtures and no Piracetam . Is Piracetam a single ingredient or just a name for an herbal concoction. Your chemical diagram indicates it's a single ingredient, but I can't find it online.

Lilac

My mother was suffering from migraine with hallucinations and, I suspect, high cortisol, high serotonin--low brain energy. Ray's advice saved her much suffering. She was 86 then and is going on 91 now and her brain is sharp.

I think this article will be relevant for your brother--"commonalities in disease":

Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

I agree with those upthread who said to beware of doctors. Some of the ones we dealt with were dangerous. I would recommend a big dose of Progest-E (1/4 teaspoon), aspirin, sugar, and light to increase brain energy.

In one of those On the Back of a Tiger interviews, Ray talked about a friend, an older man, who was a writer and losing his words. I think he gave him thyroid to take, and the old man's fluency came back. I think someone on this forum put the three interviews up somewhere. I did a little searching now, but I can't find them.

milkboi

@cjm, I searched for "Piracetam" and all the products for sale contained herbal mixtures and no Piracetam . Is Piracetam a single ingredient or just a name for an herbal concoction. Your chemical diagram indicates it's a single ingredient, but I can't find it online.

Piracetam is a nootropic substance invented in Russia. Far from being a natural herb. I never tried this vendor, but it seems to be the go to in the US for nootropics: Buy The Best Nootropics Online Today at Nootropics Depot

lexis

I have a brother who lives in small town in the midwest. He's been deteriorating mentally and now when he speaks he mumbles and his words are not intelligible. As I speak with him on the phone he can't finish a sentence because he can't remember some of the words and tries to describes the shape and nature of the thing for me so I can figure out the word. This week he drove his truck out of town and got lost and didn't know where he was, until the cops came and took him to the hospital where he was picked up by another brother and taken home.

We're bringing him to Phoenix where I live. He hasn't been eating well and I suspect that has something to do with his memory and speech problems. He's not poor, he can eat very well but he says he can't remember what to eat. Anyone here can shed a light on what he's suffering from? Any nutrients, vitamins, etc., suggestions I can give him to improve or help restore his speech coherence and memory?

Antioxidant containing naringenin and apigenin are good for cognitive function.

cjm

We're bringing him to Phoenix where I live. He hasn't been eating well and I suspect that has something to do with his memory and speech problems. He's not poor, he can eat very well but he says he can't remember what to eat.

Can you clarify on this? How's his appetite? A gut issue (e.g., slow transit time, ulcers, overconsumption of "food-junk," etc.) could provoke and sustain a lack of appetite, which might be a candidate for a pernicious vector to his memory/spatial awareness issues.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

Can you clarify on this? How's his appetite? A gut issue (e.g., slow transit time, ulcers, overconsumption of "food-junk," etc.) could provoke and sustain a lack of appetite, which might be a candidate for a pernicious vector to his memory/spatial awareness issues.
He had a voracious appetite all his life. He was an athlete all his life. He'd best everyone in the gym less than half his age in weight lifting and other gym activities. He was a boxer, a soccer player and coach. His physical power until recently was undiminished. He quit going to the gym early this year because of his condition. I haven't seen him in four years and his brother who lives next door to him on a five-acre land, doesn't tell us much about him. So I'll have to wait until he drives him to Phoenix to make an assessment of his condition.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

My mother was suffering from migraine with hallucinations and, I suspect, high cortisol, high serotonin--low brain energy. Ray's advice saved her much suffering. She was 86 then and is going on 91 now and her brain is sharp.

I think this article will be relevant for your brother--"commonalities in disease":

Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

I agree with those upthread who said to beware of doctors. Some of the ones we dealt with were dangerous. I would recommend a big dose of Progest-E (1/4 teaspoon), aspirin, sugar, and light to increase brain energy.

In one of those On the Back of a Tiger interviews, Ray talked about a friend, an older man, who was a writer and losing his words. I think he gave him thyroid to take, and the old man's fluency came back. I think someone on this forum put the three interviews up somewhere. I did a little searching now, but I can't find them.
Thank you Lilac. +1

X3CyO

It's common in older people to have diverticulitis; colitis too I'd guess from eating high amounts of irritating processed foods with gums/binders/excess fibers.

These problems can lead to brain fog/memory problems.

If it's not too much of a financial issue, it couldn't hurt to look into getting a gastroenterologist to take a look inside to see if there are any problems first to figure out if a protocol or surgery may be necessary before moving onto the dietary/supplementation rehab and prevention approach.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I hate to go against all of the advice here to avoid doctors, but I think you should have him initially assessed by a doctor. You are looking for reasons for his Alzheimer-like deterioration. The plan would be to get blood tests and scans which could identify any other medical issues that neither of you are aware of. If the result is basically dementia, then you can avoid further contact with the medical system and treat as advised by others above. You never have to take their drugs, but you want some solid information which usually requires doctor-ordered labs.

The other important thing is to get him eating regular meals, as healthy as possible, ASAP. Often there is a great loss of weight that goes along with the forgetfulness and not knowing what to eat. That causes a vicious cycle that might include hypoglycemia, thyroid issues, etc all contributing to poor cognition. My mother lost 1/3 of her body weight in this state, before I discovered her condition (as I lived far away). It was impossible to bring her back to her previous basically healthy condition, but she did improve and gained about 20 lbs when offered 3 meals a day that she did not have to prepare. I would say that this stabilized her deterioration by about 2 years.

aguineapig

A little nicotine/tobacco could help, but if he was an athlete/health person for all his life it might be a hard sell even if he's got dementia. My grandmother had a love/hate relationship with her long absent cigarettes until she died at 98 after 10 years of dementia.

Recoen

I had what seemed like the beginnings of early onset Alzheimer’s - word finding issues, short term memory loss, etc and I’m 28. Relatively low dose minerals and B vitamins have helped me immensely. And using principles for my diet from RP continue to help.

OP
pauljacob

pauljacob

I hate to go against all of the advice here to avoid doctors, but I think you should have him initially assessed by a doctor. You are looking for reasons for his Alzheimer-like deterioration. The plan would be to get blood tests and scans which could identify any other medical issues that neither of you are aware of. If the result is basically dementia, then you can avoid further contact with the medical system and treat as advised by others above. You never have to take their drugs, but you want some solid information which usually requires doctor-ordered labs.

The other important thing is to get him eating regular meals, as healthy as possible, ASAP. Often there is a great loss of weight that goes along with the forgetfulness and not knowing what to eat. That causes a vicious cycle that might include hypoglycemia, thyroid issues, etc all contributing to poor cognition. My mother lost 1/3 of her body weight in this state, before I discovered her condition (as I lived far away). It was impossible to bring her back to her previous basically healthy condition, but she did improve and gained about 20 lbs when offered 3 meals a day that she did not have to prepare. I would say that this stabilized her deterioration by about 2 years.
Thank you JudiBlueHen. Appreciate your advice. Saying that my brother lives in the middle of nowhere gave the impression that he's isolated. He isn't. He regularly sees his doctor, and has recently had other test and MRIs at the University of Iowa medical centers. Since none of these doctors brought up the subject of Alzheimer's tells me (as you mentioned) it's caused by depression, malnourishment, and hopelessness. The collapse of world order oppresses him. He suffers mostly from being cooped up because he loves to travel and goes to Europe and the Caribbean most every year.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Thank you JudiBlueHen. Appreciate your advice. Saying that my brother lives in the middle of nowhere gave the impression that he's isolated. He isn't. He regularly sees his doctor, and has recently had other test and MRIs at the University of Iowa medical centers. Since none of these doctors brought up the subject of Alzheimer's tells me (as you mentioned) it's caused by depression, malnourishment, and hopelessness. The collapse of world order oppresses him. He suffers mostly from being cooped up because he loves to travel and goes to Europe and the Caribbean most every year.

Thanks - great information. Glad he is getting evaluated. I greatly sympathize with his despair over the collapse of world order; I have suffered a lot of depression over the last few months with the same thoughts (of course I have always had an ability to slip into depression, so the current situation is a great opportunity in that regard).

What's worse is the fear that it is going to continue going in the wrong direction and that leaders, having concluded that they can shut down most commerce and declare what businesses shall be "essential" (and can shortly decide to raise property taxes to make up for lost revenue...), will continue this power grab. We had planned a trip to Costa Rica this year but all air travel is on hold for us.

As for your brother, I hope you can find a way to get him some meals. Maybe he can ride this out with some nutritional support. Good luck to your family!

+1 meatbag Progesterone sources Toxinless
+1 milkboi Piracetam
+1 cjm Piracetam
+1 Kammas Aspirin
+1 mrchibbs Pregnenolone Health Natura

High Dose B-Vitamin and Multi Mineral;Rec would be Thorne Research 2/day;Magnesium Citrate 500-1000mgMagnesium content/d dissolved in Water;Vitamin D as D3 oral 10000IU/d;Restaurant type of Diet;High Protein;High Quality Flaxseed Oil 10g/day;Fishoil 3-5g/day (Liver insufficiency precipitates Dementia in males via decay of DHA-trafficking to the Brain,Peat is wrong in regard to interpretation of Lipidresearch);High Dose Vitamin E as high as 3200mg/d as plain Alpha;1000-2000mg Vitamin C as plain Ascorbic Acid Powder;1500mg Thiaminhydrochloride oral;1-3g/d Sodium Bicarbonate on an empty stomach between Meals;2-4 soft Boiled Eggs/d;Meaningful Hormone replacement like Thyroid,T.All of that and probably more is needed.What member JudiBlueHen said also.But maybe get testing for things like Hormonal Status under the Guise of different kinds of Disease or as a general Checkup.Also Antibiotic considerations. A lot of Medications can have this type of severe deterioration,like Statins.Figure out if and what the takes.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals