Gut Bacteria May Cause ALL Autoimmune Conditions; Antibiotics Can Cure

Jam

Interesting. I should probably know this, but I wasn't aware Iodine was good for oral health.

P.S. Would you mind sharing or pointing to your routine with iodine for periodontal disease?
Hypochlorous acid, the main myeloperoxidase-derived oxidant, is bactericidal, but also damages host tissue. Hypochlorous acid is one of the factors that destroys periodontal tissue in periodontal disease. This destruction is what eventually leads to loose teeth and tooth loss. When enough iodine is present in the organism, however, hypoiodous acid substitutes for hypochlorous acid. The former greatly decreases MPO-mediated damage to host tissue, amongst other beneficial actions:

Oxidation of I− by Compound I of MPO is only marginally slower than for SCN−, and the resulting hypoiodous acid (HOI) has a much lower redox potential than HOCl (0.78 vs 1.28 V). Thus HOI would be expected to be both selective and less damaging than HOCl [47]. Several experimental and epidemiological studies have provided evidence for a protective effect of I− in cardiovascular disease, but the underlying biochemical mechanism(s) are unclear [48]. Low urinary I− concentrations have been associated with coronary artery disease in the North American National Health and Nutrition Examination Study (NHANES) [49], and recent work has shown that I− can protect heart tissue against reperfusion injury-induced damage in a murine model [50]. This has been proposed to be due to metabolic changes [50], but MPO has also been strongly associated with reperfusion induced tissue injury as a result of neutrophil accumulation and activation after O2 deprivation [51]. A role for I− in modulating MPO-induced damage has poorly studied probably as a result of its low systemic concentration ( < 1 μM for I−, 100 mM for Cl−, 20–80 μM for SCN−) [52], though there is abundant evidence that I− levels can be significantly elevated by interventions [53,54]. In the light of these data, we hypothesised that I− might reduce oxidative damage induced by MPO, when I− levels are elevated over typical physiologic levels. Here we provide evidence in support of this hypothesis, with increased I− concentrations modulating protein damage induced by MPO. These findings illustrate the potential of I− to minimize damage associated with MPO-mediated damage and chronic inflammation.

The routine I use is very simple: 150mg (3 drops) of SSKI daily, with additional topical application when the rare gingival abscess manifests. If I feel that a tooth is overly infected (or if I have a cold) I take up to a gram or more of SSKI for a few days. But this is rarely needed.

DonLore

Hypochlorous acid, the main myeloperoxidase-derived oxidant, is bactericidal, but also damages host tissue. Hypochlorous acid is one of the factors that destroys periodontal tissue in periodontal disease. This destruction is what eventually leads to loose teeth and tooth loss. When enough iodine is present in the organism, however, hypoiodous acid substitutes for hypochlorous acid. The former greatly decreases MPO-mediated damage to host tissue, amongst other beneficial actions:

The routine I use is very simple: 150mg (3 drops) of SSKI daily, with additional topical application when the rare gingival abscess manifests. If I feel that a tooth is overly infected (or if I have a cold) I take up to a gram or more of SSKI for a few days. But this is rarely needed.
Would iodine (maybe 15mg per day) then be able to possibly lower autoimmune state? If hypochlorous acid is harmful to host tissue but the iodine version of it isnt?

Do you know, Jam, if large iodine doses deplete any other nutrient, like maybe selenium or B vitamins?

Jam

Would iodine (maybe 15mg per day) then be able to possibly lower autoimmune state? If hypochlorous acid is harmful to host tissue but the iodine version of it isnt?

Do you know, Jam, if large iodine doses deplete any other nutrient, like maybe selenium or B vitamins?
Well, it would definitely mitigate tissue damage, and it is also a very potent anti-inflammatory. Try putting a drop of Lugol's on a fresh mosquito or wasp bite, it's almost miraculous.

It is crucial to have a good intake of selenium for sure, either through diet or supplementation. I have a feeling megadoses can deplete copper a bit, but haven't looked into that aspect much... and there's very little quality information to be had.

Last edited:

Mossy

Much appreciated—thank you!

I've quickly searched some more of your posts to learn that SSKI is saturated solution of potassium iodide. I'll look into this, as I need to address periodontal issues ASAP; as well as pass this information along to family members.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals