Eliminate The Positive. It's Making Us Ill

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I am feeling very sarcastic this week. Is it because of excess serotonin, or dopamine ?

Regina

Beware: upcoming tl;dr.

Anyway: what I see is that optimisim and hope are the two timeless human concepts lumped together and then contorted to make up the current concept sometimes annoying, narcissistic concept of "positivity" embodied by Al Frankens' SNL character of Stuart Smalley.

:lol: :lol:

One thing I've discovered and that I'm currently experiencing in a BIG way is that when there is any energy dearth at all, and/or when very disordered energy is present (within the individual or the individual's immediate environement), optimism and hope become much harder, if not impossible, to experience...let alone maintain as a persistent outlook. The bigger the energy deficit and/or the more chaotic the energy, the harder it becomes to maintain optimism and hope. If the deficit or chaos is intense enough, it becomes almost impossible. Around here we sometimes call this "serotonin brain", but that's often an oversimplification for a lot of folks, even if it's a valid observation. There's more than body chemistry involved or just a change in diet involved. But the energy deficit and disorder can be brought on by a variety of things both physically pathological (poor nutrition, viruses, funguses, bacteria, etc.) and energically subtle (home environment, work environment, early childhood emotional conditioning, etc.)

Overcoming the energy deficit and disordered energy can take a long time, and a lot of trial and error. Most of the same kinds of therapeutic measures can work for everyone, but arriving at the right combination of techniques can be difficult. For example, to address poor nutrition some folks only need to address diet, while others also need supplements. And some need different supplements than others. Some may need abx to address bacteria, while others may do well with less intense measures like flowers of sulphur. To address energy disorder some may need to declutter and/or clean the home and work environment (desk or office) before trying internal technques. Some may do well starting with or only using an "internal" technique like chakra meditation, affirmation, visualization, or CBT, while others may need exogenous subtle energy aids like bells or tuning forks. Some people may do well using only physical recovery techniques, and some may need only the subtle energy techniques. Etc.

Because recovering from energy deficit can be so complex it's much easier for the really hard cases to give up and live with and embrace negativity, unless they reach the point of realizing the only alternative to the status quo is death. You either change or you die. Death can mean dying a little more sadly each day, or it can be all at once by giving in to suicidal tendencies. I say this because I teetered on that edge for over a decade. It's only recently that I've been able to pull back, then walk, then run away from it. In the past I've been a VERY hard case.

Recovering from energy deficit and chaos DOES NOT MEAN SUBLIMINATING OR NEVER EXPERIENCING NEGATIVE EMOTIONS. But what it does mean is that you don't get overwhelmed by them, they don't seem like the only thing you'll ever experience, and you know (some call it having faith) that they'll pass eventually, within a time limit proportional to the stimulus that brought them on. So a death or divorce or traumatic accident or whatever will take a much longer time to recover a positive outlook than having a minor quarrel with a neighbor you barely know, for example. But I know people (used to be one) who have never recovered from having fights with their neighbors, for example. The negativity never passes, and they relive it and live in it every single day, just as if it was a life trauma that really mattered. Or they blow up and allow ***holes in traffic to ruin their entire day or even week. Politics may also have a disproportionate effect on folks with an energy deficit...if their candidate doesn't win, it's the end of the world. That sort of "hanging on" and accumulative negativity indicates a deficit of the ordered energy necessary to move on from an event.

I guess my larger point is that positivity may be easier to accept as the eternal concepts as simple hope and optimism, rather than the almost-frenetic modern spin that often gets put on them as "positivity". Frenetic energy also being chaotic even if it seems forward moving.

Smaller point is that if it's really hard to accept simple hope and optimism, it probably indicates energy problems, even if we physically feel good enough to work out at the gym and exercise.

The land of Hope and Optimism is a good place to live. Now that I'm finally inside the border, I know that for sure. I hope we can all get here. But it's NOT anywhere near Pollyanna-ville, which is where the Stuart Smalleys of the world live and are probably not really content.

:clap:

Nova

It's not positivity that is killing us. It is collective denial about the reality of how things really are that is killing us. Our society perpetuates UNreality, and lies. It actually thrives on it. Our mass media, in all forms, is one big lie and in order to play the game ...ie "be accepted" in this fraudulent system, we must learn to lie and lie well. Most people can't handle the truth. Most people want others to lie to them. It is an accepted thing, though not admirable. That is the crux of the issue IMO.

It's usually the truthtellers who end up getting maligned because they don't perpetuate the false. There's risk involved in telling the truth. Most don't want to take that risk, as there are usually reprecussions. No one wants to be looked at as the bad guy. But if you buck the system, there are consequences. Don't question authority. Believe your leaders. Trust your doctors....they know what's best for you. Never break out of the box that has been created for you. Accept your slavery. And in doing so, you slowly kill the core essence of who you are as an individual and die a nice, acceptable and tidy death, never advancing in your spiritual development and perfection, or expanding to your full potential as a unique individual God created being.

Denial of how things really are is a valid survival strategy for 99% of people. Most people are rather content with seeing only a small fraction of the bigger picture. To see beyond that small fraction, especially onward and above on a grand scale, is quite a frightening thing that many sentient forms of human-shaped meat simply cannot handle.

The Truth...ah, that old dichotomy of truth vs. lies. I've found that in every lie, there is often a small truth. Most of the big Truths (faith) are collections of tales, some of which may actually be lies. Jmho, we either accept those Truths as pure and true, we can accept them with the acknowledgement that that they may be true, but are probably interwoven with lies and fantasy, or we can reject them on the basis of being false and inaccurate untruths.

There are no truthtellers. Only those that speak to reality and give life the honor it deserves and those who do not. Being the former means that you must pay a cost, for reality isn't the most pleasant mistress. Going against the grain isn't a path for everyone. If it were easy to shatter the illusions and keep walking along peacefully, more people would do it. Generally though, the more real one is and particularly the more highly attuned one is...the greater the likelihood that the collective will rise against them and take their life and/or drive them into a miserable existence.

I'm not so sure about perfection. If one is too perfect, relationship dies. That's the sort of maddening loneliness that afflicts cult leaders, gurus and the like. Having nothing in common with the unwashed masses, they lose their humanity and death comes just as surely for them as it does for the rest of us. That's the thing, I think: we're all gonna die. No one knows when that moment is going to come for us. It scares the ***t out of us on some level. Denial of the finite reality of death plays itself out in many ways, the most common being the afterlife and the infinilife.

The afterlife has been done; we're over that. Pft, heaven? The infinilife, well that's a novel concept. Not only could we possibly extend our time on earth, but we can be healthy, energetic, youthful, content...for as long as we can stay on that path. That's what this journey is for some folks, I believe. Chasing the infinite life, the life that is full of possibilities and creativity and passion. Is that reality? Maybe...

Were we, and all creatures, given by our creator a full range of emotions? Then to restrict ourselves to a certain subset is attain a fraction of our power. To you, positivity may be the metric of a life well-lived, but to me it's truth. You can't have truth and positvity, some truth is pleasant, some truth his not, but the meaning of life is changing what you don't like. You can't change what you don't accept.

Positivity is merely a point of view. Truth can be positive. Even horrible negative truths can have their upsides. So long as you're on the other side of that truth and not in the thick of it. Terrorist bombings end the lives of many innocents, but the bombers and their ilk see such events as positive, a faith induced cleansing of the earth of infidels.

As far as the meaning of life being changing what you don't like...eh, I'm not so sure on this. For me, I seek a balance. Life is not about what I want so much as it is about honoring what/who I am. Do or do not, positive or negative, my life is about me striving for something beyond. Not necessarily above, but beyond.

goodandevil

Denial of how things really are is a valid survival strategy for 99% of people. Most people are rather content with seeing only a small fraction of the bigger picture. To see beyond that small fraction, especially onward and above on a grand scale, is quite a frightening thing that many sentient forms of human-shaped meat simply cannot handle.

The Truth...ah, that old dichotomy of truth vs. lies. I've found that in every lie, there is often a small truth. Most of the big Truths (faith) are collections of tales, some of which may actually be lies. Jmho, we either accept those Truths as pure and true, we can accept them with the acknowledgement that that they may be true, but are probably interwoven with lies and fantasy, or we can reject them on the basis of being false and inaccurate untruths.

There are no truthtellers. Only those that speak to reality and give life the honor it deserves and those who do not. Being the former means that you must pay a cost, for reality isn't the most pleasant mistress. Going against the grain isn't a path for everyone. If it were easy to shatter the illusions and keep walking along peacefully, more people would do it. Generally though, the more real one is and particularly the more highly attuned one is...the greater the likelihood that the collective will rise against them and take their life and/or drive them into a miserable existence.

I'm not so sure about perfection. If one is too perfect, relationship dies. That's the sort of maddening loneliness that afflicts cult leaders, gurus and the like. Having nothing in common with the unwashed masses, they lose their humanity and death comes just as surely for them as it does for the rest of us. That's the thing, I think: we're all gonna die. No one knows when that moment is going to come for us. It scares the ***t out of us on some level. Denial of the finite reality of death plays itself out in many ways, the most common being the afterlife and the infinilife.

The afterlife has been done; we're over that. Pft, heaven? The infinilife, well that's a novel concept. Not only could we possibly extend our time on earth, but we can be healthy, energetic, youthful, content...for as long as we can stay on that path. That's what this journey is for some folks, I believe. Chasing the infinite life, the life that is full of possibilities and creativity and passion. Is that reality? Maybe...

Positivity is merely a point of view. Truth can be positive. Even horrible negative truths can have their upsides. So long as you're on the other side of that truth and not in the thick of it. Terrorist bombings end the lives of many innocents, but the bombers and their ilk see such events as positive, a faith induced cleansing of the earth of infidels.

As far as the meaning of life being changing what you don't like...eh, I'm not so sure on this. For me, I seek a balance. Life is not about what I want so much as it is about honoring what/who I am. Do or do not, positive or negative, my life is about me striving for something beyond. Not necessarily above, but beyond.

James like.

Mufasa

I do hate those people that are pretending to have this perfect life, but are depressed in reality. However, there is also another kind of being positive. The more playful and less pretending one.

Like, "Damn, I look like a a greek god today."

Okay, no, I don't look like a greek god. It was a lie, but it makes laugh, so who cares.

I believe that being positive can put you in a role, and you begin to act more like that role. I think it can be effective. Just don't take yourself to serious. I mean what do kids do, they tell themself that they are superman, and have superpowers, and they have fun with it.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I do hate those people that are pretending to have this perfect life, but are depressed in reality. However, there is also another kind of being positive. The more playful and less pretending one.

Like, "Damn, I look like a a greek god today."

Okay, no, I don't look like a greek god. It was a lie, but it makes laugh, so who cares.

I believe that being positive can put you in a role, and you begin to act more like that role. I think it can be effective. Just don't take yourself to serious. I mean what do kids do, they tell themself that they are superman, and have superpowers, and they have fun with it.

I think the point of the original article is not that much about "positivity" as you and many others in the thread have commented. Although very interesting comments have been written, no doubt.

Sorry, it's my fault. I was reading about this philosopher in another language and went to google to find some article in english I could share. I think the original point is that of... Not as an individual being happy or positive or negative. But more than... a Society that do not have time for doing nothing. Like, "yes, we can" in a sense that you have to not only be positive but productive, happy, travel a lot, read a lot, become your own nutritional expert and doctor, becoming a good father, a creative person, become more pretty, become more attractive to others... Like, maniac non-stop doing things that consume lots of energy. And then everyone wonders why people is fatigued.

And also the sense that the time has to be productive, like you always have to be doing something even if it's leisure time. Like you have to improve yourself so you can earn more or be more productive... and the hamster wheel keeps rolling. Like time is some kind of resource that you have to make profit from (profit in any sense).

I don't think this is contradictory to maintaining a good health. But more of a dictatorship of that there's no place for apathy, for not wanting to or not willing to, for tiredness. Like... we should take profit (either financial or of any other kind) on even being sick! Like to exploit ourselves, to get all the juice we can out of us.

Playing to be superman as a child does... yes! It's funny. I get what you mean. I agree with that. But at a collective level... we are not. Do we really accept we are not superman ? Or we try by any means to become more like him ?

I don't think the article (or anyone) is right or wrong. It's just ideas to play with. To see how you reflect on those ideas. Do they move something inside you ?

I remember when living in a small Mediterranean Island... A friend of mine who also likes the island... told me... "wow it's amazing you live there, you should go every single day to a different place until explore it all". And I was just... what the **** ? I don't want to do that. What's gonna happen when I run out of places to go ? I'll take it as it goes. No rushes. And she was very surprised... like... "you have the opportunity now!" "you have to do it now" like it's something you have to consume, to devour, to squeeze until the last drop of juice is made and then jump to another place. There's another way of living it.

So this is how it works at all levels. I see it not as a thing about your individuality but about how the society is shaped.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Beware: upcoming tl;dr.

Anyway: what I see is that optimisim and hope are the two timeless human concepts lumped together and then contorted to make up the current concept sometimes annoying, narcissistic concept of "positivity" embodied by Al Frankens' SNL character of Stuart Smalley.

:lol: :lol:

One thing I've discovered and that I'm currently experiencing in a BIG way is that when there is any energy dearth at all, and/or when very disordered energy is present (within the individual or the individual's immediate environement), optimism and hope become much harder, if not impossible, to experience...let alone maintain as a persistent outlook. The bigger the energy deficit and/or the more chaotic the energy, the harder it becomes to maintain optimism and hope. If the deficit or chaos is intense enough, it becomes almost impossible. Around here we sometimes call this "serotonin brain", but that's often an oversimplification for a lot of folks, even if it's a valid observation. There's more than body chemistry involved or just a change in diet involved. But the energy deficit and disorder can be brought on by a variety of things both physically pathological (poor nutrition, viruses, funguses, bacteria, etc.) and energically subtle (home environment, work environment, early childhood emotional conditioning, etc.)

Overcoming the energy deficit and disordered energy can take a long time, and a lot of trial and error. Most of the same kinds of therapeutic measures can work for everyone, but arriving at the right combination of techniques can be difficult. For example, to address poor nutrition some folks only need to address diet, while others also need supplements. And some need different supplements than others. Some may need abx to address bacteria, while others may do well with less intense measures like flowers of sulphur. To address energy disorder some may need to declutter and/or clean the home and work environment (desk or office) before trying internal technques. Some may do well starting with or only using an "internal" technique like chakra meditation, affirmation, visualization, or CBT, while others may need exogenous subtle energy aids like bells or tuning forks. Some people may do well using only physical recovery techniques, and some may need only the subtle energy techniques. Etc.

Because recovering from energy deficit can be so complex it's much easier for the really hard cases to give up and live with and embrace negativity, unless they reach the point of realizing the only alternative to the status quo is death. You either change or you die. Death can mean dying a little more sadly each day, or it can be all at once by giving in to suicidal tendencies. I say this because I teetered on that edge for over a decade. It's only recently that I've been able to pull back, then walk, then run away from it. In the past I've been a VERY hard case.

Recovering from energy deficit and chaos DOES NOT MEAN SUBLIMINATING OR NEVER EXPERIENCING NEGATIVE EMOTIONS. But what it does mean is that you don't get overwhelmed by them, they don't seem like the only thing you'll ever experience, and you know (some call it having faith) that they'll pass eventually, within a time limit proportional to the stimulus that brought them on. So a death or divorce or traumatic accident or whatever will take a much longer time to recover a positive outlook than having a minor quarrel with a neighbor you barely know, for example. But I know people (used to be one) who have never recovered from having fights with their neighbors, for example. The negativity never passes, and they relive it and live in it every single day, just as if it was a life trauma that really mattered. Or they blow up and allow ***holes in traffic to ruin their entire day or even week. Politics may also have a disproportionate effect on folks with an energy deficit...if their candidate doesn't win, it's the end of the world. That sort of "hanging on" and accumulative negativity indicates a deficit of the ordered energy necessary to move on from an event.

I guess my larger point is that positivity may be easier to accept as the eternal concepts as simple hope and optimism, rather than the almost-frenetic modern spin that often gets put on them as "positivity". Frenetic energy also being chaotic even if it seems forward moving.

Smaller point is that if it's really hard to accept simple hope and optimism, it probably indicates energy problems, even if we physically feel good enough to work out at the gym and exercise.

The land of Hope and Optimism is a good place to live. Now that I'm finally inside the border, I know that for sure. I hope we can all get here. But it's NOT anywhere near Pollyanna-ville, which is where the Stuart Smalleys of the world live and are probably not really content.

Very well said!! I love the way you speak about energy deficit. It really is true, the lower the energy the harder to overcome! I love the different options you list. It puts things in perspective for me. I have focused on a couple ones but maybe I need a new one. I fell in a hole 6 weeks ago, climbing back out! It is extremely hard to have energy for even an argument so I avoid all politics now lol.

I think the whole 'just be positive' thing isn't so great. I more prefer the 'accept what you are feeling and love yourself anyway'. To overcome extreme emotions I like to remember this one: "What you resist will persist". That doesn't mean don't be positive, that just means don't try to run away from your own experience. If what you are experiencing is an energy deficit running away will hurt very badly, but giving in, letting go and releasing the tension I think are better ways of coping with it. I will never tell someone to just be positive. I will say "it is okay you are feeling angry, allow that emotion to pass, don't try to stuff it down, and then move on". I like the book 'the emotion code' I am not sure I completely believe in releasing trapped emotions is the key to solve health problems... but I know firsthand how emotions can destroy your life! I also like tapping and EFT for this. Its acknowledging how you are feeling but then saying I have the ability to move on.

whodathunkit

I also like tapping and EFT for this.
So funny...tapping makes me want to take a drill bit to my temples. :lol: I know so many people like it but Lord it does me in.

I have focused on a couple ones but maybe I need a new one.
I have gotten a really, really big bang out of using tuning forks to balance energy and chakras. Honestly, the forks are what pushed me over the edge into this new vista of near-normal energy levels. I've been doing projects and cleaning and all kinds of crap since I got them a couple-few months ago...stuff I haven't done in over a decade. Really a small miracle for me. And I don't feel I have to use them every day any more. My time between sessions keeps getting longer. It seems to be a cumulative, durable therapeutic.

Lady named Eileen McCusick has a good book out on using them called "Tuning the Human Biofield". The book is mostly about using forks on others but I just use them on myself. John Beaulieu also has a good book out called "Human Tuning: Sound healing with Tuning Forks". I got ideas from the books but mostly do what "feels" right. Ironically (or maybe not), I'm deaf. And sound therapy turned out to be one of my biggest helps. :lol:

They might be something that interests you. Truly a valuable energy balancing tool.

amethyst

Oh denial is absolutely a survival strategy. I agree with you. I was sort of alluding to that in my post.

There are no truthtellers. Only those that speak to reality and give life the honor at deserves and those who do not. Being the former means that you must pay a cost, for reality isn't the most pleasant mistress. Going against the grain isn't a path for everyone. If it were easy to shatter the illusions and keep walking along peacefully, more people would do it. Generally though, the more real one is and particularly the more highly attuned one is...the greater the likelihood that the collective will rise against them and take their life and/or drive them into a miserable existence.

"Only those that speak to reality and give life the honor it deserves and those who do not"

I think that's being a truthteller. ;)

What I meant by "perfection" is not attempting to become "perfect"- rather, it is more a perfecting, or attempting to improve oneself, having lived and learned from life's lessons, and then, make appropriate adjustments for the better is sort of what I meant. By your definition, I agree with you as well.

I disagree with you on that. True, this life is a journey. ..true, we can improve upon our limitations, to some extent...But I also see this life as further preparation for the continuing afterlife....and that definition is not encapsulated within the confines and dictates of man made religion....it's much bigger than that.

InChristAlone

So funny...tapping makes me want to take a drill bit to my temples. :lol: I know so many people like it but Lord it does me in.

I have gotten a really, really big bang out of using tuning forks to balance energy and chakras. Honestly, the forks are what pushed me over the edge into this new vista of near-normal energy levels. I've been doing projects and cleaning and all kinds of crap since I got them a couple-few months ago...stuff I haven't done in over a decade. Really a small miracle for me. And I don't feel I have to use them every day any more. My time between sessions keeps getting longer. It seems to be a cumulative, durable therapeutic.

Lady named Eileen McCusick has a good book out on using them called "Tuning the Human Biofield". The book is mostly about using forks on others but I just use them on myself. John Beaulieu also has a good book out called "Human Tuning: Sound healing with Tuning Forks". I got ideas from the books but mostly do what "feels" right. Ironically (or maybe not), I'm deaf. And sound therapy turned out to be one of my biggest helps. :lol:

They might be something that interests you. Truly a valuable energy balancing tool.
The tuning forks is fascinating! I had never heard of it! I keep hearing about all these new therapies and I just want to try them all! That is awesome you have got more energy from doing that. Anything that increases energy without major crashes I am interested in. Not that I have a huge problem with energy, but its no where near the level of being caffeinated for the first time in a while a cleaning the whole house. I let dishes sit around and things like that.

DaveFoster

Denial of how things really are is a valid survival strategy for 99% of people.
Oh denial is absolutely a survival strategy. I agree with you. I was sort of alluding to that in my post.
These thoughts are realistic. Excessive positivity results from recurring failure and an absence of self-esteem (no discerning nature or standard for beheavior.) "Everything is awesome."

No, they're not. Awesome things are awesome. Worthless things have no value.

To reject the need for certain things over others at a given point in time defines the anti-social.
stages-of-grief-4-728.jpg

1) Denial - "There's nothing wrong with me/my identity. Everyone else/the system is the problem!"
2) Anger - "I hate people who don't understand me. They don't know what it's like. People with power are so selfish."
3) Bargaining - "We need change. You need to support the people who are suffering. Why do you hate them?"
4) Depression - "I don't know what to do; nothing is working. People are horrible; why does God hate me?"
5) Acceptance - "Alright, maybe we should try something different."

Charlie extrapolated this to the election. The degree of individual political reaction proportionally correlates to the perceived loss. Tea-partiers did not riot after Obama's election in the same manner as people after Trump's. Those with stable socioeconomic stations and social identities tend to be more conservative, while on aggregate, liberals rely more on the state for sustenance, and they have a larger stake in its continuation.
OMG I'm so sick of positivity, such slave bull****. Everytime I see a positively-in-denial person I just want to say something negative to them. Who thinks denying the truth makes you a better person? Those adapting to a sick system. Slaves. **** that. So sick of positivity I could vomit. Two thumbs up.
View attachment 4041
Nietzsche-274x300.jpg

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I forgot to ask how are you able to do it on yourself? That lady said she starts feet away from the body.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals