Creating a Peaty Room - paint color, flooring, carpet, and furniture

Jennifer

For context, I like my spaces clean, low maintenance and fairly minimal, but also soft and inviting so these are some of my favored design elements:
  • Unfinished solid wood furniture and antiques that I refinish
  • Unfinished wide plank hardwood flooring for that sturdy, grounded feel and ease of cleaning
  • Organic latex and wool topped mattresses (wool is a natural fire retardant) and furniture cushions with slipcovers that can be taken off and thrown in the washer
  • Cotton or other natural fiber rugs small enough to fit into a washer, for softness and warmth under foot during the winter
  • Non-toxic/zero-VOC paints, sealants and wood treatments for walls, furniture, decking, siding etc. such as milk paint, natural waxes (beeswax, carnauba, candelilla etc.), clay and the Japanese technique shou sugi ban
Color definitely has an effect on me. I was in the habit of painting my walls a new color every couple of years until their current color—a very soft robin’s egg blue called Clarity. They’ve been that color for around 15 years now and there isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t notice how calm it makes me feel when I enter a room. In case anyone is interested, here’s a list of some non-toxic paints:

Last edited:

Jennifer

Needs some Peaty wallpaper

iu

Hehe. This is giving me lickable wallpaper vibes...

1639028449234.jpeg

Vajra

The On The Back of a Tiger interviews were shot at this airbnb* in Eugene. You can take inspiration from here:
Photo+Oct+08%2C+16+34+23.jpg
Photo+Oct+07%2C+20+19+38.jpg

Photo+Oct+07%2C+15+43+55.jpg

Last edited:

stressless

Large, clean, south-facing windows (I remove my screens)

Minimalism

Plants

Good lamps, I like paper floor lamps

Hehe. This is giving me lickable wallpaper vibes...

View attachment 31153
"Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange"

On a related note, I wouldn't be altogether surprised if it turned out that Peat has/had some Oompa Loompas to help him in his research. Perhaps all those anecdotes of "friends" who tried Peatish remedies and got better, are in fact tales of Peat's benign experiments on the Oompa Loompas.

Vajra

Yeah nevermind that's right; I missed that part. I just assumed it was his house since they went to Eugene. But I guess he doesn't look out of place.

Last edited:

Herbie

Yeah nevermind that's right; I missed that part. I just assumed it was his house since they went to Eugene. But I guess he doesn't look out of place.
I think it was when Danny Roddy interviewed Brad and Jeremy that the question was asked.

That’s why they film Ray showing up in his car while they are inside.

Jennifer

"Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange"

On a related note, I wouldn't be altogether surprised if it turned out that Peat has/had some Oompa Loompas to help him in his research. Perhaps all those anecdotes of "friends" who tried Peatish remedies and got better, are in fact tales of Peat's benign experiments on the Oompa Loompas.

Haha! I’ve been convinced for years now that Ray is actually Wonka. I believe the Oompa Loompas helped him discover the thyroid suppressive nature of beta carotene and the best pocket design for holding oranges. Some say he lost his teeth to a wheat germ experiment, but I think it happened while perfecting the gobstopper. Candy that can’t be chewed was a risky venture. Whoops…

1642111406933.jpeg

B

BRBsavinWorld

Wool produces negative ions under friction/contact. I replace every product I can with wool.

Also, making the most attractive, beautiful environment you can enjoy. I disagree that you should keep things minimal, to make yourself go outside, or for any other reason than maximizing enjoyment and satisfaction. Intricate Beauty is a natural human desire, and if you aren’t wanting to go outside and socialize, it’s because of a fundamental heart issue, not because you’re sitting in your room and you can’t stop looking at the walk flowers, and your baroque lampstand, lol.

Unfortunately we don’t live in a garden of eden with song birds and flowers anymore, so I believe in making your circumstance beautiful wherever it may be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kavie

I wonder if a polyester wall hangings would create harmful off gassing?

noodlecat

I am going to list my thoughts on creating a peaty room - hopefully others can insert their thoughts on the subject

I would think a room that best supports metabolism would consist of the following:

No carpet and a clean room - carpet is very hard to clean - even if you vacuum consistently I feel it accumulates dust and dirt way more than a hard floor - a dirtier room with a bunch of stuff laying around makes it a lot easier for dust and things that make it hard to breathe to accumulate and it's just in general harder to vacuum and mop

View attachment 30997

A window - for sunlight and also to easily get some fresh air

View attachment 30998

Flooring - what do people think of this ? Do tiles or a wood flooring work best ? I would think maybe a more electrically conductive floor would be cool (it's like how people were saying that shoes with rubber soles weren't ideal because they were resistant to electricity when walking on the floor)

Would a steel or metal floor work best ? Could you possibly accumulate metal in the body from walking on it all the time ? I'm not sure it's interesting to think about - I do tend to like wood floors a lot but I have never experimented with a metal floor

View attachment 30999

Less Furniture - In my view - the less furniture in your room the better and that is because a lot of dust accumulates underneath and behind and in the real world I feel like if you have a lot of furniture in your room people tend to be lazier about cleaning everything - dust accumulating on the floors and furniture on your room can make it very difficult to breathe even if you have an air filter - cleaning everything consistently I think is important

View attachment 31000

Color - what do people think about this ? I have seen so many studies on this ? We already know that looking at different colored light affects our metabolism greatly but what about the color of paint on the walls ? You might find this interesting :

• Warm-colored placebo pills were reported as more effective than cool-colored placebo pills in one study.3
  • Blue-colored streetlights can lead to reduced crime according to anecdotal evidence.
  • Red causes people to react with greater speed and force, something that might prove useful during athletic activities according to researchers.4
  • Black uniforms are more likely to receive penalties. Additionally, students were more likely to associate negative qualities with a player wearing a black uniform according to a study that looked at historical data of sports teams and what they were dressed.

It seems our bodies not only respond to different colored radiation but from different colors altogether ?

It's like how people used to say that a woman looks better when she wears red - could there be truth to this in everything we see ? I notice I do feel better in rooms in my house that are painted yellow/orange - and these are warm-colored spectrum colors too - I don't feel as good in rooms painted blue with almost everything being equal - these rooms feel more depressive

Let me know your suggestions and thoughts below I think this thread can be quiet useful for those starting their rooms from scratch

View attachment 31001

im renovating and replacing the carpet with wood or some sort of tile that comes in bigger slabs because i dont like the small tiles. i also dislike carpet. it gets too dusty and too annoying to clean. i hate scrubbing if i spill some coffee or food, having a floor i can just wipe and mop is way better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals