Cody's Log

Dean

javacody said:
What's the logic behind eating melon alone?

I can't really explain the logic behind it. It is probably the most generally accepted food combining concept in the mainstream, so perhaps there is something to it. I do find myself that not eating melon alone does tend to upset my stomach . I haven't found much reason (through personal experience) to put stock in other food combining theories, however. YMMV.

tara

javacody said:
OK. Just had my second breakfast (starting to feel like a hobbit!).
Yay for second breakfast. :)

OP
J

javacody

Alright.

I'm going to call today somewhat of a wash.

I had to take my daughter to an appointment and grabbed a bacon cheeseburger at Burger King and an iced tea (unsweetened).

I figured one burger wouldn't be a big deal. But I don't think the fruit/sugar/protein plan is going to cut it.

Because then I was still really hungry and had major cravings and ended up getting a couple of crispy tacos and a couple of bean burritos at Taco Johns.

Tonight for supper, I made my daughter some mashed potatoes and they sounded so good, so I ate a bunch of those as well.

Not too terrible in the grand scheme of things, but I think I'm going to need to dial this in better so I'm not hungry and craving stuff.

I'm going to add some salt in tomorrow morning and see what effect that has. I'm going to eat two boiled eggs for breakfast as well, maybe adding some more protein and salt with the coffee and juice will help to stave off hunger and cravings later in the day. I'm also going to make a 2nd pot of coffee tomorrow at 9 with lots of sugar, milk, and gelatin.

I got caught up in work today and pushed my meal timing back quite a bit. I'm probably going to have to set an alarm.

tara

Only way I can stay anywhere near on track with what I want to be eating is to prepare/pack quite a lot of it ahead of time eg at the beginning of the day and never go anywhere without bringing quite a bit of food. I'll still eat other things socially (except for trying to keep PUFA as low as poss), but I really try to avoid having to choose the lesser evil of hunger or high PUFA/high gluten take-aways.

OP
J

javacody

I'm not seeing how people drink mostly milk and aren't hungry after that.

Are there any cases where people have had extreme appetites and fixed that using a Peat based strategy?

tara

I'm not sure what you mean by extreme appetite - do you think your appetite wants you to eat extreme amounts? Or you get extremely focussed on being hungry when you are hungry?

And what do you mean by fixing it? Do you mean you want to figure out how to feed it or how to reduce it?

I used to think my strong appetite was a problem (common response to living in a culture focussed on calorie-restriction for supposed health and weight-loss). Now I think failing to feed it adequately was more likely the bigger problem.

Appetites can sometimes get out of sync with our needs, but I think the first thing to consider is whether we just need to listen to and feed our appetites, instead of continuing to try to override them.

If you are trying to push your metabolism up with thyroid supps, it might well be demanding more calories and more of most nutrients.

I want food as well as drink. I'm not the only one. I also have to eat a lot before midday if I don't want to spend my whole day stressed. Sometimes many small meals works better than a few large ones for keeping energy up and avoiding crashes.

tara

Cheese, cheesecake, eggs, jelly, oysters and other shell fish, liver, fish, meat, fruit, dried fruit, chocolate, ...
Personally, I still want potatoes sometimes.

OP
J

javacody

My appetite is huge. I feel like a bottomless pit.

Even when I'm not physically hungry, I have cravings.

But I've restricted so much in my life.

Maybe I should give into the cravings.

Maybe I should go to town on cheesecake and ice cream and see what happens.

My daughter and I are going to make homemade gummy Tardises and Daleks this weekend and I'm going to cook up a huge batch of homemade popcorn in coconut oil and ghee.

I'm craving both of those heavily.

I like the jelly idea.

I was also thinking about dried fruit? I LOVE dried fruit.

Dean

javacody said:
I'm not seeing how people drink mostly milk and aren't hungry after that.

quote]

The first two times I tried 'peating" I really struggled on being faced with drinking most of my calories. This time I've been making a sweetened, slightly condensed milk. Basically, I add 2 to 3 cups of dry milk powder to a liter of milk. Add some sugar too. I started with adding a cup, but now for a variety of reasons, I've dropped that down to 1/4 cup. But at a cup, it's satisfyingly sweet and is a good punch of protein. It tastes like sweetened condensed milk, only less condensed. I'll add coffee or throw it in a blender with some frozen fruit and make a milkshake out of it. Just a suggestion.

Something that else might be worth giving a try is making sure your breakfast (and 2nd breakfast) are heavy on the protein, lighter on the carbs, and really light on the fat. This is another major adjustment I've made this time and really seems to help with keeping me feeling satisfied and cravings at bay throughout the day. Peat, himself, recommends getting most of your protein early in the day and saving the higher carb meals and most of the fat for later in the day.

tara

Hi java,
If you are never satisfying your cravings/appetite, no wonder it feels huge bottomless. I recognise this. It probably isn't. :)
There could be some specific nutrients you are missing that make you want to keep eating after you have enough calories - cronometer can give a bit of an idea on this - you may have already run your diet through something like this?
I guess you've come a cross the theory that sometimes the body responds to perceived famine (eg from restrictive dieting) by various mechanisms that reduce metabolism and getting really good at storing the slightest excess as fat?

OP
J

javacody

Woke up 30 minutes before my alarm. Temp was 97.0.

Only woke up once in the night to urinate. And when I did, I was highly uncoordinated and out of it.

Which to me, tells me I was in pretty deep sleep when I woke up.

I feel like I slept deeper last night than I have in a long, long time.

Besides my starch intake (which is not that far out of what I've been doing in the past few months), the main thing I did differently was that I took 100mg of pregnenelone at bedtime (I've been taking 50mg for the previous 3 or 4 nights).

I'm guessing that the pregnenelone helped to lower my cortisol.

I feel pretty darn good this morning. Off to make some coffee and boil some eggs!

OP
J

javacody

Steak and boiled eggs for breakfast. A pot of coffee.

After reading that Ray makes his coffee really, really strong, I used the same amount of grounds as I would for a whole pot, but used half as much water. Then added collagen, 2 tb of sugar, and 4 ounces of milk. That's what I'm drinking now.

Forgot to take my supps and NDT this morning, so also just took those with some OJ.

Temp is 98.1. In hindsight, wish I would have taken it BEFORE I drank my cup of coffee. But I waited a few minutes at least.

OP
J

javacody

Ah, elevensies. Today's elevensies was a turkey breast sandwich on gluten free bread with some reduced fat colby jack and some spicy brown mustard. Baby carrots, too, and 2 large glasses of milk (one with some gelatin added) to wash it all down.

I'm backing away from my war on starch.

I just love sandwiches, and on a low carb diet, they were verboten.

It's also much easier to increase salt intake with starchy foods (like bugles or homemade popcorn).

So I think I'm going to relax my stance on starch (because I'm not able to stay away from it right now) and instead really enjoy what I do have, and try to reduce it over time.

I could easily drink a gallon of milk per day. Should I?

Peat's_Girl

Hey Cody!

Same for me. The highest rise for me comes from pasta, but we won't go there (or bologna sammiches) ;p

I identify with the poorhood (not a word) and the fatness (forced word). I often refer to myself as the only obese anorexic in the world ;D
These are impressive temp jumps tho! Mine were very very verrrrrrrry slowly climbing from 95.9 (yep, pronounce me dead, why don't ya!) but now they're better! I also gave up on Peating several times, but I'm figuring it out now.

Fruit is so much superior to juice for me. It helped me transition from VLC to what I call, sugar-gliding mode ;D I think that's what you describe there... ;D
So eat up the fruit until you can tolerate juice. And then eat some more fruit. Cause it's a lot better.

It's cool you got to talk to the Peat himself! Thanks for sharing. That bit about eating 6-8 meals is actually my experience too. I actually snack all day without stopping... ;D

OP
J

javacody

Thanks for commenting Peat's_Girl! Typing your username on my phone is hard!

I'm really surprised at how well my temps are coming up as well.

It didn't work this way last time.

But I learned to avoid PUFA from my previous failed Peat attempts and from the Paleo world.

I ate a lot of saturated fat and tried to stay away from fatty chicken and pork (but ate plenty of chicken breast and lean pork).

So maybe my pufa levels are lower?

I'd also been taking a good amount of magnesium for a few months, as well as boron, and trying to do things to lower estrogen and increase testosterone.

So that may all factor in.

But I think maybe the magnesium more so than anything else.

I noticed my feet getting really warm when I'd take 200 mg at night. And only with this particular kind of magnesium. No other kind has worked this way for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QSR9D9 ... ref=plSrch

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
One day after eating starches I get insatiably hungry. Once I stop, it takes 3-4 days for the effect to go away completely.

OP
J

javacody

Makes me think that maybe it's release of endotoxin into the bloodstream from the colon that may be driving my hunger and cravings (and yours as well).

OP
J

javacody

Another turkey sandwich for my second lunch with a glass of milk and a glass of OJ.

I remember there was a study that looked at fast food breakfast with OJ. The OJ prevented the inflammation that the fast food breakfast would normally have caused. I'm guessing this is because the OJ prevented endotoxin from being released into the bloodstream? Or countered it?

So I think that having OJ with starch might be a big help.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2010/03/11169.html

I'm not in full agreement with conclusion drawn by the authors that it was a high carb, high fat meal that caused the issue. I'm guessing it had more to do with the high starch and high pufa content.

I wish scientists were smarter about the types of fat and truly understood how to separate out these variables properly.

YuraCZ

Starches, starches but what types of starches? Rice, potatoes or bread? Pasta? I see high gluten content in pasta, bread etc. as a really big problem. This gluten has ability to destroy intestinal villi. so your ability absorb micronutrients will become very poor.. For example leaky gut, hashimoto's etc. it's mostly due to gluten from process foods..

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Potatoes and rice for me, all the same conclusion. I was off all gluten for years prior to Peat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals