California Teachers Mandated to Get Vaccines, or Test Weekly: What would you do?

Ultimatum: Get vaccine, submit to weekly PCR tests, or quit a job you enjoy (teaching).

• Weekly PCR tests

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Get vaccinated

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Quit the job

Votes: 34 58.6%

• Total voters

Cloudhands

youre one of my favorite members on here vileplume! so im gonna keep it real with u. id suggest looking for a new career. it sucks balls that u invested so much time and energy and money into becoming a school teacher just for this to happen, especially if u like teaching, but its only going to get more and more authoritative as time goes on. its not even the point of wether the vaccine is safe or not, its wether or not u want to consent to working for someone who doesnt respect your boundaries. it might seem like its hard to find other viable options, but i promise that once you make yourself open to new options the universe usually ends up having something in store, just takes a little faith, and maybe a little thyroid haha
just read thru the other responses and agree, dont quit, but i wouldnt try not to be fired.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

youre one of my favorite members on here vileplume! so im gonna keep it real with u. id suggest looking for a new career. it sucks balls that u invested so much time and energy and money into becoming a school teacher just for this to happen, especially if u like teaching, but its only going to get more and more authoritative as time goes on. its not even the point of wether the vaccine is safe or not, its wether or not u want to consent to working for someone who doesnt respect your boundaries. it might seem like its hard to find other viable options, but i promise that once you make yourself open to new options the universe usually ends up having something in store, just takes a little faith, and maybe a little thyroid haha
Thanks buddy, you’re one of my favorites too. I completely agree — I need to establish a freer means of employment so that I’m not constantly getting jerked around by whatever the state mandates. It’s a vaccine now, but who knows what it might develop into. Anyway, the vaccine’s bad enough. I refuse the get the vaccine, and I refuse to get weekly nasal swabs, so for now I’m saying that I will only take oral swabs where I don’t have to stick anything inside my body. I honestly hope they fire me because this job has begun to stress me out to a larger extent than is good for me. I work in a low income community, and these kids have terrible metabolisms—they eat PUFA-fried chips, and the school serves PUFA-fried fries and tater tots as the bulk of meals — very little protein and very little fruit. The students’ behavior and body compositions reflect their poor state of health. They can’t focus, they struggle to think creatively, and they struggle to learn. It’s sad to see, because they have their whole lives ahead of them and don’t see the damage they’re doing to their health.

Further, the school pushes covid vaccines on these kids like crazy — they’re getting vaccinated at school, on campus. Pulled out of class to get the shot.

All in all, their behavior makes it so that most of my job is spent giving consequences rather than teaching literature, like I signed up for. I plan to leave as soon as I can and look for online employment, preferentially some form of writing.

Peatful

Further, the school pushes covid vaccines on these kids like crazy — they’re getting vaccinated at school, on campus. Pulled out of class to get the shot.
1-Age or grades of which kids this is happening to please.
2- By what means: school nurse? Local hospital? Government?
3- are the parents signing off prior to the shot?
4- Is the ethos one of pride or fear for these kids? General observation
5- Im sorry. This sucks.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

1-Age or grades of which kids this is happening to please.
2- By what means: school nurse? Local hospital? Government?
3- are the parents signing off prior to the shot?
4- Is the ethos one of pride or fear for these kids? General observation
5- Im sorry. This sucks.
Hey Peatful,

1- These kids are high school age, so 14-19.
2- I don't think the school nurse does it, but I haven't physically been into the room where they do it. I assume a member of a nearby hospital or drug store comes in. They execute the shots in the gym lobby, and on those days, the kids who volunteered line up.
3- Yes, they sent home a permission slip with every student last week. It's voluntary, so only the kids who signed a slip get the shot. The school makes it so easy though -- just a signature on the piece of paper, never have to think about it again.
4- It's different for every kid. I'm proud to say that some kids, when they saw the permission slip, responded with comments like "No way I'm getting that" or "hell naw." Some other kids responded to these comments by saying "hey stop with the antivax comments." It's a little bit of everything. Some kids are petrified of COVID, and some kids don't feel threatened at all. Very few seem proud to get the vaccine -- they just go along with getting the shot, thinking it's no big deal, not aware enough or passionate enough to raise a fuss.
5-It really does suck. These kids might never recover from damage they do to themselves unknowingly. Education is becoming an institution with less and less integrity by the day.

Cloudhands

Thanks buddy, you’re one of my favorites too. I completely agree — I need to establish a freer means of employment so that I’m not constantly getting jerked around by whatever the state mandates. It’s a vaccine now, but who knows what it might develop into. Anyway, the vaccine’s bad enough. I refuse the get the vaccine, and I refuse to get weekly nasal swabs, so for now I’m saying that I will only take oral swabs where I don’t have to stick anything inside my body. I honestly hope they fire me because this job has begun to stress me out to a larger extent than is good for me. I work in a low income community, and these kids have terrible metabolisms—they eat PUFA-fried chips, and the school serves PUFA-fried fries and tater tots as the bulk of meals — very little protein and very little fruit. The students’ behavior and body compositions reflect their poor state of health. They can’t focus, they struggle to think creatively, and they struggle to learn. It’s sad to see, because they have their whole lives ahead of them and don’t see the damage they’re doing to their health.

All in all, their behavior makes it so that most of my job is spent giving consequences rather than teaching literature, like I signed up for. I plan to leave as soon as I can and look for online employment, preferentially some form of writing.
yeah man im from detroit michigan so i know exactly how ****88 up all the kids are to the teacher. at the same time though, youre right, its a systemic issue and theyre the victims of the same authority that youre victim to and it ends up having u play authority to get your job done in a russian nesting doll fashion. its actually super depressing im sure to watch children who obviously arent taken care of well.
and yeah, passive income is kind of an obsession of mine at this point considering that caring about myself at all makes me an incapable employee. maybe ill start a thread soon just dedicated to different passive income ideas that actually work lol

Lollipop2

it might seem like its hard to find other viable options, but i promise that once you make yourself open to new options the universe usually ends up having something in store, just takes a little faith, and maybe a little thyroid haha
+1 wise.

Cloudhands

Please do. Maybe help people think through passive income at all income level starting points?
absolutely, tomorrow ill get together all of the ideas ive tried over the years and what works. if anything we should all work together on here to help everyones business in an egalitarian way.

Sefton10

absolutely, tomorrow ill get together all of the ideas ive tried over the years and what works. if anything we should all work together on here to help everyones business in an egalitarian way.
I think @OccamzRazer already has one going! Might be worth combining there, it would be a great resource for people.

Rafe

I’m on a college campus that’s taking a Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell approach. I wondered if I read the emails closely & went through the testing if it was mainly a drama or what.

Interesting. After several tests (saliva, noninvasive) I see there is no real incentive structure for taking the testing too seriously or really for mandating vax, except as a matter of seeming progressive enough for the most progressive students & faculty/staff to have something to be on a mission for.

The testing contractor makes more money the fewer people are vaxed, the test-givers (it’s over video meeting) aren’t incentivized to not leave the call to juggle other calls, the institution wants its numbers low.

I agree in principle with everyone here who says it’s best to ignore everything & just turn your back & keep going to work happy until you’re fired. But it’s been an eye opener for me to see how much a sense of putting on a show has so many layers to it. I’m thinking Adam Curtis is right about Hypernormalization. I think that’s an independent political problem.

I couldn’t have found out about that unless I had done the testing route. But also, once I chose that I felt immediately trapped inside the drama. I’m not & I can stop if I want to see how the disciplinary process works. But it’s an interesting gray area to be in if you want to just get on with things. I’m not talking to people much yet but I’d like to.

Peatful

I’m on a college campus that’s taking a Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell approach. I wondered if I read the emails closely & went through the testing if it was mainly a drama or what.

Interesting. After several tests (saliva, noninvasive) I see there is no real incentive structure for taking the testing too seriously or really for mandating vax, except as a matter of seeming progressive enough for the most progressive students & faculty/staff to have something to be on a mission for.

The testing contractor makes more money the fewer people are vaxed, the test-givers (it’s over video meeting) aren’t incentivized to not leave the call to juggle other calls, the institution wants its numbers low.

I agree in principle with everyone here who says it’s best to ignore everything & just turn your back & keep going to work happy until you’re fired. But it’s been an eye opener for me to see how much a sense of putting on a show has so many layers to it. I’m thinking Adam Curtis is right about Hypernormalization. I think that’s an independent political problem.

I couldn’t have found out about that unless I had done the testing route. But also, once I chose that I felt immediately trapped inside the drama. I’m not & I can stop if I want to see how the disciplinary process works. But it’s an interesting gray area to be in if you want to just get on with things. I’m not talking to people much yet but I’d like to.
Thx for the report. Quite interesting assessment.

Are you in the United States?
If not: Are you comfortable telling us what country?

Rafe

By “just get on with things” I don’t mean people shouldn’t resist. I mean, in political activism that’s voluntary each person will have to choose their own role. I like this forum because everyone is sharing what they’re wanting to do & working it out as we go. Play for the long game.

Logan-

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom