BIG SALT Exists! Video Claims Food Processors Manipulate Research

Clyde

Big Salt exists as the food processing industry because nobody's choking down salt free hamburgers or pizzas. A government anti-salt crusade would destroy them. This means there's far more money in salt than salt restriction imo.

Research on salt has been manipulated according to this video:

View: https://youtu.be/f8-qkrenQr0?t=275

For video transcript and sources:

Last edited:
OP
C

Clyde

Excerpts from the video transcript:
When confronted with evidence showing at least one of the co-authors received thousands of dollars from the Salt Institute, they replied that well, “they didn’t get more than $5,000 from them in the last 12 months,” so, no conflict of interest.

And before accepting money from the Salt Institute, she was accepting money from the Tobacco Institute, and was a frequent expert witness in defense of Philip Morris and other tobacco companies. So, if that’s who the New England Journal of Medicine chooses to editorialize about salt, you can see the extent of industry influence. The editor-in-chief of the American Journal of Hypertension himself worked for many years as a consultant to the Salt Institute.

OP
C

Clyde

Did they invent the salt road narrative?
They would have the resources to do something like that. Billions of dollars is on the line. It can't be overstated how important salt is to their business model.

Make a loaf a bread with no added salt. It tastes disgusting.

Last edited:

Peater

Have you got lost on the way to Livestrong or something?

EustaceBagge

They would have the resources to do something like that. Billions of dollars is on the line. It can't be overstated how important salt is to their business model.

Make a loaf a bread with no added salt. It tastes disgusting.
There is a reason it tastes disgusting. Try doing anything intensive without adequate salt in your body. Your body knows how much you need, and nobody here is advocating excessive salt use. For hypothyroid people salt retention is a big issue hence the increased needs, but as long as your taste buds are working salt to taste.

And the studies are done pretty well Imo, I don't see how big salt would've affected those. Actually, I would argue the opposite is true, because where did the narrative come from that salt meaningfully lowers blood pressure? I can reduce my salt intake for a week and test my blood pressure and it doesn't budge in any meaningful way. Isn't this the n1 argument against salt? I've also read a lot of reports on people that increased their salt intake and REDUCED their blood pressure, which is very believable as salt is needed for proper muscle function. Lots of it if your active or if your hypothyroid.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
What’s wrong with pizza and hamburgers? It’s the salt? Jesus H that is funny!

I had a stuffed nose the other morning and I put a good pinch of chunky Celtic sea salt (they don’t pay me or give me free salt)
sea salt in my mouth and started crunching it, (similar to chewing) and it immediately opened up my nose and sinuses.

Peatress

@Peatress He looks like a "Small-souled bugman".
1699045427462.png

Peater

Haha :D

I wasn't sure if you'd know the phrase - nevertheless, I know you'll enjoy this - an ode to serotonin and cortisol?

Peatress

Haha :D

I wasn't sure if you'd know the phrase - nevertheless, I know you'll enjoy this - an ode to serotonin and cortisol?

A satisfyingly good read. It must have been fun to write.

OP
C

Clyde

There is a reason it tastes disgusting. Try doing anything intensive without adequate salt in your body. Your body knows how much you need, and nobody here is advocating excessive salt use. For hypothyroid people salt retention is a big issue hence the increased needs, but as long as your taste buds are working salt to taste.

And the studies are done pretty well Imo, I don't see how big salt would've affected those. Actually, I would argue the opposite is true, because where did the narrative come from that salt meaningfully lowers blood pressure? I can reduce my salt intake for a week and test my blood pressure and it doesn't budge in any meaningful way. Isn't this the n1 argument against salt? I've also read a lot of reports on people that increased their salt intake and REDUCED their blood pressure, which is very believable as salt is needed for proper muscle function. Lots of it if your active or if your hypothyroid.
Salt makes my food taste good even if I've been tossing baking soda back all day. Starchy stuff doesn't even taste like food without salt or sugar, it's like your eating some material from the hardware store.

From RP's article on salt:
"Salt restriction, according to a review of about 100 studies (Alderman, 2004), lowers the blood pressure a few points."

Unfortunately the video I'm using is trying to convince people that salt is bad. I only wanted to inform people that there was something called The Salt Institute and that industry funds salt research. I am only sharing something that was eye opening to me.

That there is corruption everywhere is in line with most of what Ray Peat talks about. The video as a whole was anti-peat and trying to convince people salt is unhealthy so it has the anti-peat tag. I'm not spending hours editing videos.

Last edited:

EustaceBagge

Salt makes my food taste good even if I've been tossing baking soda back all day. Starchy stuff doesn't even taste like food without salt or sugar, it's like your eating some material from the hardware store.

From RP's article on salt:
"Salt restriction, according to a review of about 100 studies (Alderman, 2004), lowers the blood pressure a few points."

Unfortunately the video I'm using is trying to convince people that salt is bad. I only wanted to inform people that there was something called The Salt Institute and that industry funds salt research. I am only sharing something that was eye opening to me.

That there is corruption everywhere is in line with most of what Ray Peat talks about. The video as a whole was anti-peat and trying to convince people salt is unhealthy so it has the anti-peat tag. I'm not spending hours editing videos.
I like the honesty man. And the issue with baking soda may be that your taking it without food, who knows how much of it you actually absorb? And some of the effects of salt are due to balancing, may explain why its important to have them with potassium rich starches.

And salt industry... existed long before the industrial revolution. But in the past excessive amounts were mainly used for preservation. I remember visiting Villa Farnese in Italy, and it was the "house" of someone that was insanely wealthy due to the salt trade.

Perceive, think (feel?), act

OP
C

Clyde

Ok. Salt companies need people to eat salt. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies need people to be sick. Which faction is stronger and has more power over researchers, many of whom are doctors?
So maybe it's the Pharma/medical industry vs the entire food industry.

I do a search for who is demonizing salt and the FDA (Federal Drug Administration) and WHO come up first.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom