Best oil/fats to use?

barbwirehouse

I know "Peat says"

Coconut and olive oil are the only vegetable oils that are really safe, but butter and lamb fat, which are highly saturated, are generally very safe (except when the animals have been poisoned). Coconut oil is unique in its ability to prevent weight-gain or cure obesity, by stimulating metabolism. It is quickly metabolized, and functions in some ways as an antioxidant. Olive oil, though it is somewhat fattening, is less fattening than corn or soy oil, and contains an

antioxidant which makes it protective against heart disease and cancer.

And the sticky says

Best sources are coconut oil and butter; olive oil and macadamia nut oil sparingly. He is a big fan of (refined) coconut oil to stimulate the metabolism. Among nuts and nut oils, macadamia is probably the safest. See the Omega-6 list below for more info.

Which means Peat blesses coconut oil, butter, lamb fat (and beef tallow too?), and macadamia oil+olive oil in moderation.

So directly what I'm asking is: Are coconut oil, butter and beef+lamb fat all safe?

Also it seems Peat doesn't like palm or avocado oil. Is this true?

tara

Generally, I think so, as a starting point. In terms of moderation, he's talked about 1tsp olive oil/day being OK, and too much beef/or lamb fat will bring with it a bit much PUFA (I think he has said <4g PUFA is protective). But what works for individuals may vary, and you get to observe what works for you. Eg. some people do well with butter, some do better with it only as part of whole milk, some do better minimising it. Also, he does tend to favour highish carbs over high fat, so I don't see it as encouragement to eat unlimited amounts of any of those fats.
(Although if someone were recovering from severe undereating, I'd say (don't know what Peat would say) go for as much as you like along with lots of carbs and protein foods etc too.)

OP
B

barbwirehouse

tara said:
Generally, I think so, as a starting point. In terms of moderation, he's talked about 1tsp olive oil/day being OK, and too much beef/or lamb fat will bring with it a bit much PUFA (I think he has said <4g PUFA is protective). But what works for individuals may vary, and you get to observe what works for you. Eg. some people do well with butter, some do better with it only as part of whole milk, some do better minimising it. Also, he does tend to favour highish carbs over high fat, so I don't see it as encouragement to eat unlimited amounts of any of those fats.
(Although if someone were recovering from severe undereating, I'd say (don't know what Peat would say) go for as much as you like along with lots of carbs and protein foods etc too.)

Thanks Tara. I like to use butter, coconut oil and beef tallow but not olive oil or macadamia oil, so I'm going to go with that and use whats best for the dish.

Xisca

Don't you considere that egg yolks are also a source of fats?

Cocoa butter is ok?

Does anyone knows what is wrong about palm oil?

tara

Xisca said:
Don't you considere that egg yolks are also a source of fats?

Cocoa butter is ok?

Does anyone knows what is wrong about palm oil?
Yes egg yolks have some fat. Depending on what food the chooks are eating, they may be fairly unsaturated. Eggs have some good nutrition in them, but if you many eggs every day it can give more PUFA than desirable.
I think cocoa butter is pretty good.
There are a thread or two on palm oil - I don't remember details, but I think there was a distinction between palm kernel oil and other palm oil. And maybe one of them was quite high in carotene, which can be an issue for some people. I think you'll find them if you search.

Xisca

Well, I think that spanish olive oil, when virgen and especially organic, should be ok and pure.
Shops sell refined olive oil, that I would not trust that much!

Tara, right, I remember for eggs, that they advertized for omega3 rich eggs thanks to feeding them linen seeds.
My hens forage happily and eat a lot of animal proteins: worms! I also buy some that are from hens that are not fed corn nor soy at all.

All in all, this is the same problem as eating meat: what did the animal ate?

My guess about cocoa butter is that it is perfectly solid at room temperature, so mainly saturated. I also had a look, and it has some MUFA too, and little PUFA.

If I avoid the main sources full of PUFA, I am not anxious about having a little PUFA. (anxiety might be worse than PUFAs hahaha!)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals