Babassu oil, comparable to coconut oil, slightly better?

mostlylurking

This is a product used in both cosmetics and food. Source says the level of PUFA is negligible, has saturated fat content comparable to coconut oil, and more monounsaturated fat and vitamin E. It appears to be less expensive as well. Info-graphic at mid-page Babassu oil vs. Coconut oil — Health Impact and Nutrition Comparison
I dunno....
from the link:
"Babassu oil and coconut oil can be used interchangeably. They increase the risk of overall cardiovascular mortality since they are high in saturated fats. Coconut oil contains higher amounts of saturated fats, whereas babassu oil is richer in monosaturated oils and vitamin E."

Well, no, that's really not how that works. So I'm pretty doubtful about the rest of the article. The more highly saturated the better. I use hydrogenated coconut oil myself.

I get mine from here: Coconut Oil (92 degree)

Here's some discussion about hydrogenated coconut oil:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew9n6hdGirs&t=6040s

A-Tim

The description says it is rbd, but does not mention it is hydrogenated. Does it provide that info somewhere else, and do you know if it is partially or fully hydrogenated? Thanks!

Physicochemical and thermal characterization of babassu oils (Orbignya phalerata Mart.) obtained by different extraction methods
2. Material and methods
2.1. Samples
Samples of crude babassu kernel oils were purchased directly from producers in the states of Tocantins and Maranhão, Brazil. Samples, extra virgin babassu oil (EVBO) and virgin babassu oil (VBO), were purchased fresh immediately after extraction from three different batches in December 2016.
Screenshot 2023-06-20 201814.png

mostlylurking

The description says it is rbd, but does not mention it is hydrogenated. Does it provide that info somewhere else, and do you know if it is partially or fully hydrogenated? Thanks!

What is coconut oil 92 degree?​

Coconut oil 92 degree is also known as hydrogenated coconut oil. Same as in coconut oil 76 degree, the number 92 degree refers to the coconut oil’s melting point. Note that temperature of 92⁰ Fahrenheit or 33⁰ Celsius is much higher than regular room temperature. This means coconut oil 92 degree is solid at room temperature.

RBD coconut oil is made up of about 90% saturated fat. To make coconut oil 92 degree, one need to conduct hydrogenation process on RBD coconut oil. Hydrogenation is a chemical process that adds hydrogen to the unsaturated fatty acid cains. The objective is to turn unsaturated fatty acid into saturated fatty acid. Saturated fat has higher melting point than unsaturated fat. Therefore, the resulting hydrogenated coconut oil will have a higher melting point. Hence, the name coconut oil 92 degree.

-end paste-

rbd= refined, bleached, deodorized. 92 degree = hydrogenated.

A-Tim

What is coconut oil 92 degree?​

Coconut oil 92 degree is also known as hydrogenated coconut oil. Same as in coconut oil 76 degree, the number 92 degree refers to the coconut oil’s melting point. Note that temperature of 92⁰ Fahrenheit or 33⁰ Celsius is much higher than regular room temperature. This means coconut oil 92 degree is solid at room temperature.

RBD coconut oil is made up of about 90% saturated fat. To make coconut oil 92 degree, one need to conduct hydrogenation process on RBD coconut oil. Hydrogenation is a chemical process that adds hydrogen to the unsaturated fatty acid cains. The objective is to turn unsaturated fatty acid into saturated fatty acid. Saturated fat has higher melting point than unsaturated fat. Therefore, the resulting hydrogenated coconut oil will have a higher melting point. Hence, the name coconut oil 92 degree.

-end paste-

rbd= refined, bleached, deodorized. 92 degree = hydrogenated.
Thanks

OP
ALS

ALS

I dunno....
from the link:
"Babassu oil and coconut oil can be used interchangeably. They increase the risk of overall cardiovascular mortality since they are high in saturated fats. Coconut oil contains higher amounts of saturated fats, whereas babassu oil is richer in monosaturated oils and vitamin E."

Well, no, that's really not how that works. So I'm pretty doubtful about the rest of the article.
I am interested in the composition of the oil. The fact that the author uses "conventional wisdom" about saturated fat being bad doesn't change the oil's composition.

mostlylurking

I am interested in the composition of the oil. The fact that the author uses "conventional wisdom" about saturated fat being bad doesn't change the oil's composition.
Then read up and learn all about it. The author is promoting the stuff and the author thinks saturated fat bad so that's enough for me. I'm sticking with my hydrogenated coconut oil.

OP
ALS

ALS

Then read up and learn all about it. The author is promoting the stuff and the author thinks saturated fat bad so that's enough for me. I'm sticking with my hydrogenated coconut oil.
Already did. That article was the best information I could find on the composition so far. It has saturated fat content comparable to coconut oil, but looks like less PUFA. The rest is monosaturated.

A-Tim

If wikipedia it to be believed, it looks reasonable. Mostly medium chain sfa, some long chain sfa. That table adds to 94.5%, not 100%. Therefore it's unclear what the remaining 5.5% is.

mostlylurking

Already did. That article was the best information I could find on the composition so far. It has saturated fat content comparable to coconut oil, but looks like less PUFA. The rest is monosaturated.
I found this:

"Babassu oil is similar to coconut oil. It contains >60% lauric and myristic acid and is only 17% unsaturated."
also:
"The oil is used locally as a lamp oil and in soap and cosmetics on an industrial scale. The cake left after oil extraction is used for animal feed. It is also used in a surfactant system used in Aveda shampoos and conditioners (Aveda, 2014). As with many of these tropical oils it is also being tested for use in biodiesel (Freitas et al., 2009) and was used together with coconut oil as a base for the biofuel used in a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747 test flight (BBC, 2008)."

mostlylurking

This article has a more detailed breakdown and shows a lower PUFA content:

Table 3 Fatty acid composition of unfiltered babassu nut oil and the standard values prescribed in Codex Alimentarius.24

[TR]
[TH]
Fatty acids

[/TH]
[TH]
Codex Alimentarius (2015)

[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]
Fatty acids

[/TH]
[TH]
% (Fatty acid)

[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]
UBO

[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]C 10:0 (capric)[/TD]
[TD]7.29[/TD]
[TD]1.2–7.6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]C 12:0 (lauric)[/TD]
[TD]26.31[/TD]
[TD]40.0–55.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]C 14:0 (myristic)[/TD]
[TD]19.93[/TD]
[TD]11.0–27.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]C 16:0 (palmitic)[/TD]
[TD]12.79[/TD]
[TD]5.2–11.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]C 18:0 (stearic)[/TD]
[TD]5.60[/TD]
[TD]1.8–7.4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]C 18:1 (oleic)[/TD]
[TD]18.83[/TD]
[TD]9.0–20.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]C 18:2 (linoleic)[/TD]
[TD]2.38[/TD]
[TD]1.4–6.6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Other[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[TD]—[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Σ saturated[/TD]
[TD]71.92[/TD]
[TD]61.90–115.4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Σ monounsaturated[/TD]
[TD]18.83[/TD]
[TD]9.0–20.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Σ polyunsaturated[/TD]
[TD]2.38[/TD]

[TD]1.4–6.6[/TD]
[/TR]

edit: the format went wonky when saved, sorry about that. It's easier to understand at the link above.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals