Aversion to bitter taste may be a sign of endotoxin/LPS overload, chronic disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just a few days ago I did a post about a study, which showed that endotoxin (LPS) makes body odor unpleasant and leads to both self-isolation and shunning from others. The study below adds more evidence to the LPS puzzle by showing that exposure to LPS strongly increased aversion to bitter taste, while also blunting preference for sweet taste. The authors note that while the study in question was specifically about the effects of LPS administration, the same taste preference changes occur in many chronic conditions, including cancer and neurological diseases. I think the main benefit of the study is that if it found that LPS causes systemic inflammation and can change the taste phenotype to match the type of many (inflammatory) chronic diseases, then LPS is likely a major cause of those diseases, which is something medicine continues to deny. Just as importantly, as the study itself states, if cancer treatments are known to increase aversion to bitter taste then it would not be too fat fetched to hypothesize that those "treatments" achieve that effect by increasing LPS absorption from the gut into the blood, where said LPS massively increases inflammation and likely contributes to the deterioration of the cancer patient, so the "treatment" is anything but helpful.

Covid-19 affects taste independent of taste–smell confusions: results from a combined chemosensory home test and online survey from a large global cohort

"...In addition to being unpleasant, a bitter taste in the mouth or from food can contribute to a loss of appetite, an effect associated with ailments from the common cold to cancer. Bitter taste can also affect patients’ willingness to take certain medications, especially when they are young children."

"...Bitter receptors are encoded by Tas2r genes, which also provide an important defense against bacteria and parasites in the mouth and gut. However, this process is not well understood. For this study, the team explored how inducing inflammation would affect gene regulation of these taste receptors. Using lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a compound that induces inflammation similar to that caused by bacterial infections, they found that mice showed a distinct elevated aversion to bitter tastes. The team used nerve-recording experiments to confirm that this aversion originates in the taste buds of mice, rather than in their brains. “Our study had very clear data showing this is actually a change at the peripheral level, not deep in the brain,” said Wang, confirming that genes in taste cells govern bitter taste distortion to this type of inflammation. This finding has interesting clinical implications for the study of behavioral aspects of illness, such as a loss of appetite. When people are sick they often do not feel like eating. This can affect even humans’ love for sugary treats, as other studies have noted. Mice also have a decreased preference for sweet tastes during illness and forced intake of sugar can make them sicker. These results potentially indicate a protective behavior with a biological or evolutionary basis."

"...This finding sheds light on why cancer treatment and certain chronic illnesses can cause a lingering bitter taste in the mouth or alter the taste perception of certain foods. This diverse response across taste receptors has potential implications for research on how to make more effective bitter blockers for medications and other edible health and wellness products."

GTW

There are multiple varieties of bitterness and bitter receptors in the body. Bitter substances stimulate the immune system at moderate\hormetic doses. LPS, too, is hormetic.

Thalgo

Just a few days ago I did a post about a study, which showed that endotoxin (LPS) makes body odor unpleasant and leads to both self-isolation and shunning from others. The study below adds more evidence to the LPS puzzle by showing that exposure to LPS strongly increased aversion to bitter taste, while also blunting preference for sweet taste. The authors note that while the study in question was specifically about the effects of LPS administration, the same taste preference changes occur in many chronic conditions, including cancer and neurological diseases. I think the main benefit of the study is that if it found that LPS causes systemic inflammation and can change the taste phenotype to match the type of many (inflammatory) chronic diseases, then LPS is likely a major cause of those diseases, which is something medicine continues to deny. Just as importantly, as the study itself states, if cancer treatments are known to increase aversion to bitter taste then it would not be too fat fetched to hypothesize that those "treatments" achieve that effect by increasing LPS absorption from the gut into the blood, where said LPS massively increases inflammation and likely contributes to the deterioration of the cancer patient, so the "treatment" is anything but helpful.

Covid-19 affects taste independent of taste–smell confusions: results from a combined chemosensory home test and online survey from a large global cohort

"...In addition to being unpleasant, a bitter taste in the mouth or from food can contribute to a loss of appetite, an effect associated with ailments from the common cold to cancer. Bitter taste can also affect patients’ willingness to take certain medications, especially when they are young children."

"...Bitter receptors are encoded by Tas2r genes, which also provide an important defense against bacteria and parasites in the mouth and gut. However, this process is not well understood. For this study, the team explored how inducing inflammation would affect gene regulation of these taste receptors. Using lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a compound that induces inflammation similar to that caused by bacterial infections, they found that mice showed a distinct elevated aversion to bitter tastes. The team used nerve-recording experiments to confirm that this aversion originates in the taste buds of mice, rather than in their brains. “Our study had very clear data showing this is actually a change at the peripheral level, not deep in the brain,” said Wang, confirming that genes in taste cells govern bitter taste distortion to this type of inflammation. This finding has interesting clinical implications for the study of behavioral aspects of illness, such as a loss of appetite. When people are sick they often do not feel like eating. This can affect even humans’ love for sugary treats, as other studies have noted. Mice also have a decreased preference for sweet tastes during illness and forced intake of sugar can make them sicker. These results potentially indicate a protective behavior with a biological or evolutionary basis."

"...This finding sheds light on why cancer treatment and certain chronic illnesses can cause a lingering bitter taste in the mouth or alter the taste perception of certain foods. This diverse response across taste receptors has potential implications for research on how to make more effective bitter blockers for medications and other edible health and wellness products."
Would HMO be helpful, harmful or neutral? Human milk oligosacarydes

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
There are multiple varieties of bitterness and bitter receptors in the body. Bitter substances stimulate the immune system at moderate\hormetic doses. LPS, too, is hormetic.

The study is not about the health effects of bitter substances. It is about the finding that increased aversion to bitter taste can be a sign of pathology, whether caused by endotoxin or not.

GTW

The study is not about the health effects of bitter substances. It is about the finding that increased aversion to bitter taste can be a sign of pathology, whether caused by endotoxin or not.
Ho capito. And everything is relevant to establish context. Bitter taste is what? Response mediated by bitter receptors.

Jonk

I'm sure I've dealt with endotoxin issues for a long time but haven't noticed any aversion to bitter tastes. I have however never had a sweet tooth, unless i take something like cyproheptadine. Salt craving always through the roof

GTW

It's marvelous that "Science" confirms common sense and common knowledge. That sickness may make a person queasy or more sensitive to nausea and aversive stimulus.
I remember as a child, my mother offered chamomile tea when I was ill. If it was too strong I was nauseated.

Soren

Forum Supporter
This is more evidence that Parkinsons´ disease stems from problems in the gut. People who have PD report a reduced ability to perceive bitter tastes.

Gonna ask my mum (who has PD) if she has this issue.

GTW

Tangential but not irrelevant. Sweet and bitter are partial antagonists. Many traditional medicines are bitter. "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." Does moderating the bitterness reduce the medicinal effect?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals