Aspirin And Folate Binding: In Vivo And In Vitro Studies Of Serum Binding And Urinary Excretion Of E

paymanz

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6726059

To clarify the effect of aspirin on folate balance, we studied serum concentration, protein binding, and urinary excretion of endogenous folate. A healthy woman twice followed an 11-day protocol of constant diet, blood sampling twice daily, collection of all urine, and 650 mg of aspirin by mouth every 4 hours on the middle 3 days. As determined by equilibrium dialysis and Lactobacillus casei assay, aspirin induced a brisk, significant but reversible fall in total and bound serum folate and a small but insignificant rise in urinary folate excretion. Aspirin in vitro also displaced significant amounts of bound serum folate. Thus, aspirin in therapeutic doses can contribute to subnormal serum folate values, and if it increases urinary folate excretion even slightly, may impair folate balance.

dd99

So does that mean aspirin during pregnancy could lead to folate deficiency and neural tube defects?

nullredvector

What do you make of this @haidut?
Is low folate a good thing (given its role in cell division)? I vaguely remember you saying something positive about methotrexate.

aspirin, niacinamide, and p5p all seem to increase my need for folate (mood, libido, and peeling skin on fingertips). I think I am misinterpreting this and it's really a biotin deficiency (given my BS issues).

Last edited:

PhilParma

Aspirin makes my seborrheic dermatitis flare up. (I've read Admin Charlie say that it has done the same for him.) Maybe this has something to do with it. I'm also reading today about how supplemental folic acid taken orally has been shown to help SebDerm and related conditions like psoriasis. I need to find a good folate supplement and do some experimenting...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom