104-year-old Japanese Doctor Shares His Surprisingly Peaty Health Advice

OP
X

xiaohua

And rice. The rice, fish and veggies aren't Peaty, as well as the flour from the cookies and the tablespoon of olive oil. Article claims he works 18 hours a day.

Not to start the whole "Is there a true Peat diet?" debate again, but I wouldn't say those things aren't Peaty. They don't fit with Danny Roddy's "milk and OJ" interpretation of Peat, I'll give you that. ;)

It seems clear that the guy has a sense of meaning and purpose in his life, and so perhaps in that context the long hours aren't so bad.

schultz

And rice. The rice, fish and veggies aren't Peaty, as well as the flour from the cookies and the tablespoon of olive oil. Article claims he works 18 hours a day.

I would say it depends on what kind of fish and veggies and how the veggies are cooked. Cod and greens broth would be a decent meal and that counts as fish and vegetables. Or sole and turnips (something Ray said he eats).

On the "Peat" diet, in my opinion, rice is allowed but not considered optimal. It tends to depend on the person or context. It's not on the "no" list like soybean oil.

I would say it depends on what kind of fish and veggies and how the veggies are cooked. Cod and greens broth would be a decent meal and that counts as fish and vegetables. Or sole and turnips (something Ray said he eats).

On the "Peat" diet, in my opinion, rice is allowed but not considered optimal. It tends to depend on the person or context. It's not on the "no" list like soybean oil.

It's not Peaty to eat all of that daily, as the article states the guy does. The amino acids in the fish, it's also a muscle meat. I know about the cod/sole/tilapia thing.

schultz

It's not Peaty to eat all of that daily, as the article states the guy does. The amino acids in the fish, it's also a muscle meat. I know about the cod/sole/tilapia thing.

Ray always says as a general rule that you shouldn't eat more than 8oz a day of meat and eggs. So 4oz of fish a day is fine, no? Especially if you're getting a lot of gelatin.

tara

+1
Leafy greens and a variety of other veges can help ensure a good mineral supply. May well include fruit vegetables - tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, etc.
If the cookies are made with more saturated fats, that would be in their favour, and the whole diet may well be low in PUFA.
Could well be quite a nutritious balanced diet, and has the benefit of a regular pattern for the body to adapt to.

schultz

Leafy greens and a variety of other veges can help ensure a good mineral supply. May well include fruit vegetables - tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, etc.

Agreed! That's what I meant by vegetables. I was including "fruit vegetables" and roots in that category. I used to be the guy who would say "Well actually that's a fruit" (EDIT: yes, I'm a loser... :( ) but I came to the realization that "vegetable" is a culinary/cultural term, not really a botanical definition (even though fruit is). So any plant matter that isn't sweet I consider it to be a vegetable, including things on trees like avocados and even mushrooms.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/vegetable.htm

Xisca

So any plant matter that isn't sweet I consider it to be a vegetable, including things on trees like avocados and even mushrooms.
In some countries avocados are eaten sweet, and people from south America are "eyes wide opened" when they learn about the stuff with mayo and shrimp!!!!
No, no, this you eat with sugar and lemon juice!

The regular diet he has is in itself quieting the body because of regularity of what is expected. Quite good, at least for him!

tara

Agreed! That's what I meant by vegetables. I was including "fruit vegetables" and roots in that category. I used to be the guy who would say "Well actually that's a fruit" (EDIT: yes, I'm a loser... :( ) but I came to the realization that "vegetable" is a culinary/cultural term, not really a botanical definition (even though fruit is). So any plant matter that isn't sweet I consider it to be a vegetable, including things on trees like avocados and even mushrooms.
Yeah, in the culinary cultural sense, including some roots, fruits, and maybe some sweet ones too, like pumpkins, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, beetroot. :)

L

lollipop

+1
If the cookies are made with more saturated fats, that would be in their favour, and the whole diet may well be low in PUFA.
Could well be quite a nutritious balanced diet, and has the benefit of a regular pattern for the body to adapt to.
+1 And what @schultz mentioned. The more I experiment, the more I swing to including a wide range of thyroid friendly foods of all categories, including about 4 ounces of animal protein daily eaten as mixed macro, nutrient dense meals.

oxphoser

Always interesting to read these stories. So the guy starts the day with a liver flush. I wonder, by the way, why taurine isn't part of the recommendations since it promotes bile flow.
Looks like the taurine is in the fish he eats. Yamori (2004) says:

“Japanese, particularly Japanese women, have the longest life span in the world with the least mortality from heart diseases, which may be ascribed to the greatest taurine intake from seafood. The dietary goal for preventing CHD appears to be a taurine intake that maintains over 2000 mole urinary taurine excretion per day; this corresponds to eating 100 g of fish meat or seafood a day at least 4 or 5 times a week.“

Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology (2004) 31 , S20–S23.
FISH AND LIFESTYLE-RELATED DISEASE PREVENTION: EXPERIMENTAL AND EPIDEMIOLOGICAL EVIDENCE FOR ANTI-ATHEROGENIC POTENTIAL OF TAURINE

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals