We All Scream For No Cream Ice Cream - In Minutes! (with photos)

akgrrrl

I think with less fat it can also taste better, at least for me.

I was already used to eating our local ice cream brands, which contains much much less cream because it is expensive.

So ten years ago, I bought an ice cream. maker from Walmart and made one, following the instructions. It used a lot of cream. It tasted great even as a plain old vanilla ice cream, made with real vanilla.

Except that I wasn't used to the creaminess. I once bought a very pricey local brand called Carmen's Best and it was priced that way because it is made with a lot of cream.

It tasted just like the one I made and isn't worth paying extra for.

I'll try to find time to make one following your recipe, but I'll use a tiny ice maker instead. This is a pint-sized maker that runs on 2 CR123 batteries and the ice cream is made as the maker sits insise the freezer.

I've had it for 10 years, but never once made ice cream with it. So thank for reminding me how much I'm missing the homemade taste of ice cream.

Note: We have a word for something too rich as to be too filling that you'd enjoy it more if the richness were dialed down - nakakaumay.
Ya know, you can just make a "whip" that is low in fat content...by freezing your fave fruit, then high speed blenderize it with your regular (cold) milk, sweetened to taste.

yerrag

Ya know, you can just make a "whip" that is low in fat content...by freezing your fave fruit, then high speed blenderize it with your regular (cold) milk, sweetened to taste.
Is that the secret to very tasty sorbet?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It's easy to make, isn't it? It's easy to make and the enoyment is very high.

To increase the enjoyment even more, add orange or lemon zest to it. It will definitely kick it up a notch, and even hide the "nakakaumay" factor as it dulls the taste bud to the sweetness. Most of all, makes it even more peaty.

Funny you would say to add zest to it, because I often add orange zest to both my vanilla ice cream recipe and my custard recipe!

Philomath

"Blood sugar also seems to be low in migraine, so that some people find that eating a large amount of ice cream can interrupt the symptoms. This observation might be what we need to understand the role of sleep in health. We all know how hard it is to sleep when we are hungry (low blood sugar), and how sleepy we sometimes get after a big meal. Low sugar levels in the blood can literally starve some cells into malfunctioning.” – Dr Ray Peat

When i first started applying myself to Ray Peat's science, almost 5 years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of all the sugar. I added it in my coffee and had a little more jelly, but that was about it. I never really like sugary things, even as a kid, so I wasn't anxious to make it a staple in my diet.

As the first year went by, reading more I started to get more comfortable trying more sugar by adding more fruit. My big other big sugar splurge at this point was making macadamia nut butter and pairing it with seedless raspberry jelly. I made sure to take a batch with me on vacation for a quick energy and healthy snacking. Sometimes, when vacationing at our timeshare, we would go to the ice cream case after a dinner out, and i would buy a pint of my favorite Haagen Daz "Vanilla Swiss Almond", but this particular time all they had in the ice cream case was many cartons of Haagen Daz coffee flavor. "What a stupid flavor", I said out loud, and bought it anyway so I could properly balance all the protein ibhad eaten at dinner. That night I almost ate the whole pint! I couldn't believe how good this ice cream was tasting AND making feel. I was even happier than my normal happy, and surprised how good I slept that night too! Strangely, the next morning my stomach was so flat! My "Vanilla Swiss Almond" flavor never made me look, or feel, like that. I was hooked on that coffee flavor after that, and convinced that Ray Peat's coffee and sugar science is a big key, that did eventually open the door to my good health!

As time went on, I got too confident. I starting having my beloved Haagen Daz coffee ice cream for breakfast, or after breakfast, and often as a middle of the day "pick me up". Before I knew it I had muffin top coming out of the top of my pants! I was baffled because Ray Peat said ice cream is an almost perfect food, and it made my stomach flatter on vacation? Five "Peaty" years later I get it now! Starches and fat make you fat, and there is a lot of fat in that little serving of Haagen Daz Coffee ice cream, and I was having it on top of normal eating!

I have since given up that magical coffee ice cream, just because I realized as clean as it is compared to EVERY other ice cream on the market, I can do better. So I started making it homemade, by cooking the grass fed milk and cream and pastured eggs, but the process was time consuming AND was still just as fattening. I tried to figure out ways to skip those yolks and cream and somehow just make myself a frozen milk, but I knew it would freeze up hard, like an ice cube. I needed something thick like yolks to give my new yolk free ice cream a scoop-ability. I tried gelatin powder, honeycomb, lemon curd and sweetened condensed milk and they all turned out well, but the sweetened condensed milk was the logical winner for taste and nutrition.

Let's compare Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream to mine:

2/3 cup Haagen Daz has:
fat 23 grams
protein 5 grams
Calcium 10%

2/3 cup of MINE:
fat 11 grams
protein 11 grams
35% calcium

We SO love my ice cream version, not just because it is much lower in fat and higher in nutrition, but because it doesn't feel regretful afterwards from being so rich. Though your ice cream maker may vary, I have one with a pre-frozen bucket, and because there is no cream in my recipe, after churning my ice cream for 25 minutes I have to put it back in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes more, then give it one last minute crank. I don't know if it is because my ice cream maker has been used 100+ times, but I am sure getting it frozen will be different with different machines. Feel free to sub out a cup of milk and add in a cup of cream if you want a richer taste. I like to use half Benoit or Alexandre milk because their cream content is higher at 11 grams and 14 grams of fat compared to my raw whole milk which is 8 grams of fat. For the other half I use the raw whole milk for better digestibility. I keep several cans of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge at all times so everything is very cold going into the ice cream maker. It will not freeze up well if you don't keep everything cold. So here is how I do it.

Mix, in a Bullet blender 3 cups of whole milk with 1 can of CHILLED organic sweetened condensed milk, a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract and a pinch of Maldon flaked salt. Let it go through a couple of cycles, blending for about a full minute, then pour into the ice cream maker and let it churn till it is thick and scoopable! That is it!

You can make lots of variations on this recipe. Adding the zest of a couple of oranges before blending gives it a very orange vanilla flavor. Subbing a cup of milk for a cup of blended fresh strawberries or Greek yogurt are our other favorites. Other times I throw in some lecithin free Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. Just leaving it vanilla leaves even more fun ways to use this ice cream. Attached are photos of some of my creations!
Well, I’ve made a couple batches...
My first batch was a test to see how low in fat I could make it.
I added three cups of skim milk and three tablespoons of heavy cream. It tasted great, but it was really a vanilla sorbet! It had an icy texture and it melted quickly.
The second batch was a dark sweet cherry and chocolate chip version. I used whole milk for this version. It was more like standard ice cream in consistency but it wasn’t as sweet as the vanilla (I used the same full can of sweetened condensed milk!)
I have to use up the rest of the whole milk so I’ll make another batch tonight - probably chocolate chocolate-chip.
Quick question: you say in your instructions to mix in a bullet blender for a couple cycles - what is that in minutes? I’m not sure I was blending it long enough - or maybe too much!
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 312796C7-5ED8-4716-A44B-58F26D59A08C.jpeg
    312796C7-5ED8-4716-A44B-58F26D59A08C.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 17
  • BFF03825-6142-4C29-AFE6-2249CBFF135C.jpeg
    BFF03825-6142-4C29-AFE6-2249CBFF135C.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 17
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I added three cups of skim milk and three tablespoons of heavy cream. It tasted great, but it was really a vanilla sorbet! It had an icy texture and it melted quickly.
The second batch was a dark sweet cherry and chocolate chip version. I used whole milk for this version. It was more like standard ice cream in consistency but it wasn’t as sweet as the vanilla (I used the same full can of sweetened condensed milk!)
I have to use up the rest of the whole milk so I’ll make another batch tonight - probably chocolate chocolate-chip.
Quick question: you say in your instructions to mix in a bullet blender for a couple cycles - what is that in minutes? I’m not sure I was blending it long enough - or maybe too much!
Thanks!!
Oh you made me so happy Philomath! Those look wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing pics, they look seriously amazing! I am intrigued now about your nonfat vanilla sorbet one. I am gonna try that one too now! I would say the Bullet blender two cycles would be almost a full minute, but I get in the freezer tub in seconds after blending. If for any reason it sits, I will blend it a third time to keep it as whipped up as possible getting into the canister. It's a pretty fast recipe for making ice cream don't you think? Did you get to making that SOS for your dad yet?

akgrrrl

Thanks!!
Anytime that cocoa or nibs are added to any recipe, you want to increase some sugar. Powdered sugar blends fast and wont disturb a recipe's liquid content, (except in delicate cakes)

akgrrrl

Is that the secret to very tasty sorbet?
Dunno that its a secret, but here is one: frozen avocado slices, 1Tb creme de cacao liqueur, a dash of nearly frozen whipping cream, a squeeze of lime. Blend and its a small dessert everyone loves but cannot identify. I should have known you would know "sorbet"or granita, most dont so I say whip-de-doo

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Anytime that cocoa or nibs are added to any recipe, you want to increase some sugar. Powdered sugar blends fast and wont disturb a recipe's liquid content, (except in delicate cakes)
In my Rocky Road ice cream I didn't add any extra cocoa nor in my chocolate chip ice cream. Of course the rocky road had extra sugar from the marshmallows. In baked goods I can see what you mean though.

akgrrrl

In my Rocky Road ice cream I didn't add any extra cocoa nor in my chocolate chip ice cream. Of course the rocky road had extra sugar from the marshmallows. In baked goods I can see what you mean though.
Oh That was a dumb misunderstand on my part, I was thinking a vanilla ice cream made choc by adding cocoa would be less sweet of course cuz cocoa is bitter. I thought philomath said his chocolate wasnt sweet as his vanilla and jumped to possible remedy

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh That was a dumb misunderstand on my part, I was thinking a vanilla ice cream made choc by adding cocoa would be less sweet of course cuz cocoa is bitter. I thought philomath said his chocolate wasnt sweet as his vanilla and jumped to possible remedy
Ohhh! When are you gonna convert your mango ice cream recipe to mine? I am wanting to make than one ever since you mentioned it. Do you use mango juice, fresh or frozen?

akgrrrl

Ohhh! When are you gonna convert your mango ice cream recipe to mine? I am wanting to make than one ever since you mentioned it. Do you use mango juice, fresh or frozen?
Fresh mango, I usually wait til I see a couple in the discount section so I know they are uber ripe, then blenderize and freeze in a baggie til ready for use. Go for it!

akgrrrl

Dunno that its a secret, but here is one: frozen avocado slices, 1Tb creme de cacao liqueur, a dash of nearly frozen whipping cream, a squeeze of lime. Blend and its a small dessert everyone loves but cannot identify. I should have known you would know "sorbet"or granita, most dont so I say whip-de-doo
Forgot to say some powdered sugar in this, to taste

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I will when keit mangos come in season here soon! I love Fuyu persimmons too. That could make for a good ice cream too with some lime zest!

Regina

Thanks!!
they both look great

yerrag

Back here the bastardized adoption of Spanish words have us calling ice cream "sorbetes," a reminder that the Spanish conquistadors considered the natives here "indios" and there was a separate localized vocabulary. We have words like "silya" to mean left, and "mano" to mean right, whereas the correct words would have been izquierda and derecho.

In case you wonder why, it's because the driver of a horse-drawn carriage (calesa) would, when the carriage is full, give his sole front seat to a passenger, and he would be at the side, holding the seat with his left hand, and using his right hand to hold the whip.

And the right Spanish word for ice cream is "elado."

A fun walk into history.

akgrrrl

Back here the bastardized adoption of Spanish words have us calling ice cream "sorbetes," a reminder that the Spanish conquistadors considered the natives here "indios" and there was a separate localized vocabulary. We have words like "silya" to mean left, and "mano" to mean right, whereas the correct words would have been izquierda and derecho.

In case you wonder why, it's because the driver of a horse-drawn carriage (calesa) would, when the carriage is full, give his sole front seat to a passenger, and he would be at the side, holding the seat with his left hand, and using his right hand to hold the whip.

A fun walk into history.
Sorbetes is a great word. I will be using that. Interesting how language morphs and adapts. I am resolved to use Rinse and Repeats recipe next month, as I start sorting my freezer, bring forward berries I didnt use over the winter for this years jam. So, icecream is soonscream.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Sorbetes is a great word. I will be using that. Interesting how language morphs and adapts. I am resolved to use Rinse and Repeats recipe next month, as I start sorting my freezer, bring forward berries I didnt use over the winter for this years jam. So, icecream is soonscream.
I am anxious to hear your creations!

OP
Rinse & rePeat

A fun walk into history.

Yerrag, we have been trying to figure out what those Pasillas De Leche reminds us of and it came to us, they taste like white chocolate!

yerrag

Yerrag, we have been trying to figure out what those Pasillas De Leche reminds us of and it came to us, they taste like white chocolate!
That surprises me. But that may be so, given it had a kiss droplet shape to it, and that it's made not just for Filipinos, but to the US market.

Here's an article on its origins and there's a recipe on it:

Another old favorite, but not home-made is the lowly Choc-Nut beloved by all. It is made from chocolate and peanut. Not exactly Peaty, but for the sheer enjoyment and dopamine boosting effect for me, I cheat with it:

The peanut allergy thing in the US is probably why it's not sold in Amazon. I checked that for you already.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals