Thread of better quality food options (UK)

Hidden49

This is divine, had to stop buying it cuz it’s so moreish lol

I get their plain duchy vanilla, it’s a lot less calories/fat, and quality ingredients. I mix in some frozen cherries or blueberries and it’s real good treat

Lol just saw this now this country is terrified of sugar.

Ismail

Also this inflation is getting out of hand now, every few weeks I keep noticing supermarket prices increasing and it never seems to stop :/
This! So flipping annoying and just unfair on the masses! What heck is going on?! 😔

Ismail

Found the colour disparity between Sainsbury’s oranges (freshly squeezed myself) and unpasteurised Waitrose orange juice interesting (see attached picture - click on it to see clearly please).

Attachments

• IMG_4945.jpeg
    IMG_4945.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
P

Peatress

Found the colour disparity between Sainsbury’s oranges (freshly squeezed myself) and unpasteurised Waitrose orange juice interesting (see attached picture - click on it to see clearly please).
I tried orange juice from all the main supermarkets and came to the conclusion that waitrose was the best. It looks like I will be squeezing my own from now on. Thank you. Were your oranges just standard oranges or the taste the difference sainsbury's range?

Ismail

I tried orange juice from all the main supermarkets and came to the conclusion that waitrose was the best. It looks like I will be squeezing my own from now on. Thank you. Were your oranges just standard oranges or the taste the difference sainsbury's range?

You’re very welcome, I’m going to try all the oranges from the main supermarkets (including lidl) to see how good the juice is and how much it costs (ie the cheapest).

The ones I got from Sainsbury’s were standard large oranges - they come in a pack of 4 and state large on the receipt (unfortunately I threw away the label so I can’t show you).

But here’s the receipt with their “proper” name in case that helps 🤷‍♂️ (click on the pic to enlarge and see properly pls). I managed to squeeze 500ml of juice from them.

Attachments

• IMG_5201.jpeg
    IMG_5201.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 25
P

Peatress

You’re very welcome, I’m going to try all the oranges from the main supermarkets (including lidl) to see how good the juice is and how much it costs (ie the cheapest).

The ones I got from Sainsbury’s were standard large oranges - they come in a pack of 4 and state large on the receipt (unfortunately I threw away the label so I can’t show you).

But here’s the receipt with their “proper” name in case that helps 🤷‍♂️ (click on the pic to enlarge and see properly pls). I managed to squeeze 500ml of juice from them.
Thank you. That's a lot of juice from just 4 oranges.

Have you tried tangerines? I find they are very sweet compared to oranges but it would work out much more costly.

dukesbobby777

I tried scouring internet sources for organic oranges, but found nothing cost effective. The shipping fees for such large amounts of produce really added on extra cost.

I tried oranges from Sainsbury's, tescos and waitrose and the ones from waitress were the best (but most expensive). I then went to SK fruits and I can get 12 juicing oranges for £4. Twelve oranges juices a quart and a half of juice. So I buy 36 for £12 and I go back there every three days. The taste of oranges from SK fruits is just as good as waitrose (for some odd reason). So I juice them and then keep them in glass bottles in the fridge. I've finally stopped drinking fruit juices from those horrible plastic bottles. I've been doing this now for a few months.

I've now sourced goats milk in glass bottles from a farm here in Wiltshire, but it's a bit pricey at £3.60 per quart. But it's full fat, so knowing that I react well to goats milk (cows milk makes me irritable and schizo), that's going to be the next thing I'm going to do (getting rid of milk from plastic bottles). Very high in fat though, so having two 500ml drinks of this every day will be more than enough.

golder

I tried scouring internet sources for organic oranges, but found nothing cost effective. The shipping fees for such large amounts of produce really added on extra cost.

I tried oranges from Sainsbury's, tescos and waitrose and the ones from waitress were the best (but most expensive). I then went to SK fruits and I can get 12 juicing oranges for £4. Twelve oranges juices a quart and a half of juice. So I buy 36 for £12 and I go back there every three days. The taste of oranges from SK fruits is just as good as waitrose (for some odd reason). So I juice them and then keep them in glass bottles in the fridge. I've finally stopped drinking fruit juices from those horrible plastic bottles. I've been doing this now for a few months.

I've now sourced goats milk in glass bottles from a farm here in Wiltshire, but it's a bit pricey at £3.60 per quart. But it's full fat, so knowing that I react well to goats milk (cows milk makes me irritable and schizo), that's going to be the next thing I'm going to do (getting rid of milk from plastic bottles). Very high in fat though, so having two 500ml drinks of this every day will be more than enough.
Amazing stuff, I’ve never seen goats milk sold in glass bottles! What’s the name of the Wiltshire farm I’m going to treat mysef to some. Thanks!

Ismail

Have you tried tangerines? I find they are very sweet compared to oranges but it would work out much more costly.
You’re very welcome, yes I know I was quite surprised myself to be honest at the amount of juice I got out of them.

Yes tangerines are yummy but I never thought of juicing them, however as you said it would possibly be more costly - but I may give it a go and see how much it works out at 🙄😬🙊

Ismail

Oh wow that’s amazing, thanks for sharing.

Excuse my ignorance, but what’s SK fruits? Is it a fruit company?

Lizb

golder

Looks like a really good quality (and fairly priced!) online farm shop. Thanks for the recommendation. Have you used these before and can vouch for them? :)

P

Peatress

The madness continues. Never shopped in Aldi anyways, but hopefully the others don’t start doing this!
I think the more people shop with cards/phones and use self checkouts it's going to happen in all stores eventually.

Ismail

Hope this attachment helps, I was surprised the cheapest oranges (per amount of juice extracted) is from Waitrose:

Attachments

• oranges.png
    oranges.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 36
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals