SURVIVAL - RECIPES & More…

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Make sure you have kindling of various sizes immediately on hand nearby. Once you get a flame on your fire starting material, add small sticks about 1/2 the width of a pencil, then progressively add larger diameter pieces. Always air on the side of less is more regarding the volume of wood you add at each juncture. I have seen many, many people smother a fire by adding too much fuel too soon. Blow on it, but gently. A young fire wants oxygen, but not too much.
I used dryer lint (which works well in my fireplace to start a fire), straw, leaves and small pieces of bark, but it would not grow. I need something finer like corn silk.

Cotton balls smothered in vaseline...they start up with the smallest of a spark. Keep a bunch stored in film cannisters.

Don't use bark until you have an established fire. It's density is generally not conducive to growing a small fire. Once something is blazing, it's your best friend.

Sorry, I am a bit of a fire dork. I literally get paid to play with it for a living.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Cotton balls smothered in vaseline...they start up with the smallest of a spark. Keep a bunch stored in film cannisters.

Oh wow! I tried a cotton wad soaked in 70% rubbing alcohol today and it didn’t help. I’ll try the Vaseline tomorrow!

Perry Staltic

I used dryer lint (which works well in my fireplace to start a fire), straw, leaves and small pieces of bark, but it would not grow. I need something finer like corn silk.

To grow you need to build a ladder for the flames to climb. Each "rung" needs to be slightly thicker than the lower "rung". Conceptually, the small stuff that is easy to ignite heats the larger stuff above it to ignition temperature, and as this process repeats the flames climb the ladder. Soon you have a steady fire

OP
Rinse & rePeat
To grow you need to build a ladder for the flames to climb. Each "rung" needs to be slightly thicker than the lower "rung". Conceptually, the small stuff that is easy to ignite heats the larger stuff above it to ignition temperature, and as this process repeats the flames climb the ladder. Soon you have a steady fire

Ok I got that visual. I am glad to be working this out now rather than in a real emergency and failing like this when I need the flames. It is definitely harder that it seems like it should be. Thanks Perry :)

HDD

Shatter resistant. It's not guaranteed keep them out, but it will slow them down/deter them...give you a better chance to react. Windows and garage doors are substantial weak points. Always keep your inner garage door locked.

Thanks for the links, these look great! We have a sliding glass door that I’m not sure how to secure. Have you seen anything for that?

HDD

Survivalist African “Tortilla Soup

Today I created, my twist, on tortilla soup, in just 20 minutes! I just boiled 2.5 cups beef broth (I used my homemade) with a handful of finely chopped raisins for about 10 minutes , then added 1/3 cup of salsa, 1 tablespoon gelatin bloomed in a half cup of water and a can of beef stew to the mix, as well as 2 tablespoons of masa. The seasonings aren’t in the #1 ingredients photo, but I seasoned the soup with garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin and salt. Serve it topped with crushed plantains. I like the spicy mango ones fried in coconut oil, but their plain ones are just as good! This soup is chock full of protein!
This sounds good. I need to write it down. Having books or notes on paper to refer to might come in handy.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This sounds good. I need to write it down. Having books or notes on paper to refer to might come in handy.
That is what I am doing with these new recipes. Maybe just print them on cheap photo paper?

P

Peatness

I have also been thinking about not wanting to waste water on cleaning pots during an emergency so I bought some disposable aluminum “pots” for cooking on my Weber grill and thought I would use my crock pot enamel pot and line it with these disposable crock pot liners and use my new solar oven to cook like a crock pot for hours in the sun!

View: https://youtu.be/OT5mCxPBTUM

Is it safe to cook with aluminum?

L_C

... I'm not that good with the guns but here is my new toy... should not be a problem to survive if one is surrounded by the woods....

IMG_20210814_144651045.jpg

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Update:

I tried every which way to make a fire with the magnifying glass, over two days, for a total of 4 hours and I got nothing! I even lit a candle with it and it wouldn’t stay lit either! Lint & flint is the way to go. I had a fire going in less than 10 seconds!!

Attachments

• 1E0DD5DE-0A96-4FB9-A431-1752B2C48732.jpeg
    1E0DD5DE-0A96-4FB9-A431-1752B2C48732.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 14

Perry Staltic

Update:

I tried every which way to make a fire with the magnifying glass, over two days, for a total of 4 hours and I got nothing! I even lit a candle with it and it wouldn’t stay lit either! Lint & flint is the way to go. I had a fire going in less than 10 seconds!!

If you produced flame with the magnifying glass, then that would would start a bigger fire. If you only produced smoke, then you would have to blow on it until it bursts into flame.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If you produced flame with the magnifying glass, then that would would start a bigger fire. If you only produced smoke, then you would have to blow on it until it bursts into flame.
I had flames, and trust me I tried everything to keep it going: lint, dried leaves, Vaseline, straw, cotton balls, rubbing alcohol, coconut oil. a cut up dish towel, and plenty of blowing. I got a great tan, but no continuous fire. I bet gasoline or lighter fluid would work, but what is the point if you are in nature without an accelerant and only have that inadequate magnifying glass. It was a lot of hard work to achieve nothing ?

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Look I can get flames with the magnifying glass in seconds, it is just not a hot flame and goes out the minute I take the magnifying glass away. It lit a candle, but the candle wouldn’t stay lit either.

Attachments

• 38257862-8B4A-4791-8F54-707612C4B3AA.jpeg
    38257862-8B4A-4791-8F54-707612C4B3AA.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 24659606-9C20-485E-BE82-0EAFB5AFB1C3.jpeg
    24659606-9C20-485E-BE82-0EAFB5AFB1C3.jpeg
    761.3 KB · Views: 11

Perry Staltic

Look I can get flames with the magnifying glass in seconds, it is just not a hot flame and goes out the minute I take the magnifying glass away. It lit a candle, but the candle wouldn’t stay lit either.

Sometimes with a magnifying glass it looks like you have flame, but really don't. If the candle didn't stay lit, it wasn't lit. I doubt you could get that pile you made started with a magnifying glass. It looks like a pile of leaves.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yep flint & lint is a breeze! I put a little dryer lint in a box with the same leaves I have been trying to light with the magnifying glass l, and it was blazing in 60 seconds with the flint!

Attachments

• FD40B7BA-12F0-4154-BA25-BED69A0D4B65.jpeg
    FD40B7BA-12F0-4154-BA25-BED69A0D4B65.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 717A281F-D243-48BB-A099-EBAE5FDED5FB.jpeg
    717A281F-D243-48BB-A099-EBAE5FDED5FB.jpeg
    642.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Sometimes with a magnifying glass it looks like you have flame, but really don't. I doubt you could get that pile you made started with a magnifying glass. It looks like a pile of leaves.
Trust me it is a burning flame, and comes on in seconds, but it must not be hot enough.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals