PAIN - Unusual Causes & Unusual Remedies

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My e-mail to Ray Peat this morning.....

My father's girlfriend broke her hip a month ago and has been bed ridden since. She has now texted me that she is experiencing numb feet and is asking me if "400 mg twice a day of magnesium might help with the numbness including my fingers."
What could I suggest to her?

"Magnesium supplements are usually irritating to the intestine; milk provides both magnesium and calcium in a safe way. Increasing her blood sugar helps with pain and might help numbness too. Is she using drugs for the pain? Concord grape juice, alternating with milk, helps to increase blood glucose and decrease inflammation and pain." -Ray Peat

She said, "Yes using Norco plus Tylenol every 8 hours." I did not expect Concord grape juice and milk. You always surprise me with your answers.

"I think it could be a toxic effect of the drugs. Besides the antiinflammatory foods, thyroid and progesterone can have restorative effects in nerves." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Some commonly used therapeutic medications can cause adverse effects that could include neuropathy. This is known as drug-induced neuropathy. These medications cause nerve damage which may be reversible when the drug is discontinued; or in extreme cases, the nerve damage can be permanent."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Seawater, which is hypertonic to our tissues, has often been used for treating wounds, and much more concentrated salt solutions have been found effective for accelerating wound healing (Mangete, et al., 1993)." -Ray Peat

bookshelf

Any suggestions for:

a) people like me who just can't drink milk but really want to? (Raw milk is tolerable but very hard to come by; pasteurized - even if organic/grass-fed, etc. is a no go).
b) pain from scar tissue in the abdominal area

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Any suggestions for:

a) people like me who just can't drink milk but really want to? (Raw milk is tolerable but very hard to come by; pasteurized - even if organic/grass-fed, etc. is a no go).
What about cheese? RP recommends eggshell calcium, if you can find it. Is your scar/abdomen pain a new pain or an old issue?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Perhaps the most remarkable discovery regarding MSM is that it is an effective pain killer. MSM works for many types of chronic pain. In March 1999, Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., and Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D., published “The Miracle of MSM: The Natural Solution for Pain”. Their book was based on their experience as medical doctors and MSM researchers. Dr. Jacob is the head of the DMSO Pain Clinic in Portland, OR, and a Professor at the Oregon Health Sciences University, and Dr. Lawrence was the founder of the International Association for the Study of Pain and the American Association for the Study of Headaches. Combined, they have over 20 years of experience with fighting pain with MSM. They concluded that of more than 18,000 patients that suffered from chronic pain, about 70% experienced benefits from the use of MSM, finding that pain either diminished or disappeared altogether.
The types of pain which have been treated successfully with MSM include:
Personal injury due to accidents, burns, etc.Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritisFibromyalgiaLower back painsHeadaches, migrainesMuscle achesBursitisTennis elbows and other sports injuriesCarpal SyndromeSclerosisWhiplashRSI (Repititive Strain Injury)Scars due to burns, operations, accidents, etc.The way MSM impacts pain is currently explained by the following mechanisms:
MSM is a natural analgetic: it blocks the transfer of pain impulses through nerve fibers (C-fibers).MSM blocks inflammations and inflammatory processes. MSM enhances the activity of cortisol, a natural anti-inflammatory hormone produced by the body.MSM improves the permeability of cell membranes. This improves the uptake of nutrients and many vitamins and the elimination of waste products and excess cellular fluids.MSM dilates bloood vessels, enhancing the blood circulation. This, too, helps to eliminate waste products from the body, which speeds up healing.MSM is a muscle relaxant. This is an important and often overlooked benefit of MSM. Many chronic pains are aggrevated by chronic muscle tension in the body.MSM aids the natural defense mechanisms in the body by regulating the prostaglandin metabolism, and regulates the formation of anitbodies and immune complexes.
MSM slows down and restores crosslinking in collagen. Crosslinking in collagen is a natural process in scar formation, causing hard and often painful scar tissues. This may lead to chronic pain, particularly in the case of burn scars, in which large surface areas may be affected. MSM heals scar tissue, making the skin more flexible. People who have treated burn scars with a MSM ointment and seen their scars almost disappear, and have eliminated associated pains, form dramatic examples of MSM’s potency in this regard."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Any suggestions for:

I would suggest you try MSM for your scar and pain. I took it for 10+ years with only good results. The tricky part is finding a pure one.

bookshelf

What about cheese? RP recommends eggshell calcium, if you can find it. Is your scar/abdomen pain a new pain or an old issue?
"Perhaps the most remarkable discovery regarding MSM is that it is an effective pain killer. MSM works for many types of chronic pain. In March 1999, Stanley W. Jacob, M.D., and Ronald M. Lawrence, M.D., Ph.D., published “The Miracle of MSM: The Natural Solution for Pain”. Their book was based on their experience as medical doctors and MSM researchers. Dr. Jacob is the head of the DMSO Pain Clinic in Portland, OR, and a Professor at the Oregon Health Sciences University, and Dr. Lawrence was the founder of the International Association for the Study of Pain and the American Association for the Study of Headaches. Combined, they have over 20 years of experience with fighting pain with MSM. They concluded that of more than 18,000 patients that suffered from chronic pain, about 70% experienced benefits from the use of MSM, finding that pain either diminished or disappeared altogether.
The types of pain which have been treated successfully with MSM include:
Personal injury due to accidents, burns, etc.Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritisFibromyalgiaLower back painsHeadaches, migrainesMuscle achesBursitisTennis elbows and other sports injuriesCarpal SyndromeSclerosisWhiplashRSI (Repititive Strain Injury)Scars due to burns, operations, accidents, etc.The way MSM impacts pain is currently explained by the following mechanisms:
MSM is a natural analgetic: it blocks the transfer of pain impulses through nerve fibers (C-fibers).MSM blocks inflammations and inflammatory processes. MSM enhances the activity of cortisol, a natural anti-inflammatory hormone produced by the body.MSM improves the permeability of cell membranes. This improves the uptake of nutrients and many vitamins and the elimination of waste products and excess cellular fluids.MSM dilates bloood vessels, enhancing the blood circulation. This, too, helps to eliminate waste products from the body, which speeds up healing.MSM is a muscle relaxant. This is an important and often overlooked benefit of MSM. Many chronic pains are aggrevated by chronic muscle tension in the body.MSM aids the natural defense mechanisms in the body by regulating the prostaglandin metabolism, and regulates the formation of anitbodies and immune complexes.
MSM slows down and restores crosslinking in collagen. Crosslinking in collagen is a natural process in scar formation, causing hard and often painful scar tissues. This may lead to chronic pain, particularly in the case of burn scars, in which large surface areas may be affected. MSM heals scar tissue, making the skin more flexible. People who have treated burn scars with a MSM ointment and seen their scars almost disappear, and have eliminated associated pains, form dramatic examples of MSM’s potency in this regard."

I would suggest you try MSM for your scar and pain. I took it for 10+ years with only good results. The tricky part is finding a pure one.
Great suggestions and information, thank you. I do eat some raw cheese (Bunker Hill and one other brand I can't recall at the moment) , occasional goat cheese, or hard selections such as parmesan but I don't believe I eat enough to constitute an amount that would equal the benefit of regular milk consumption plus, I unfortunately have to be careful not to overdo any of it (the cheeses or raw dairy) or I will start reacting (usually stiffness/arthritic-like symptoms, itchy ears, and general inflammation that includes really slowing my transit time). I am hoping to locate a local source for raw goat's milk but haven't found one yet (not for lack of trying).

The discomfort is in a couple of places, rather specific locations. The twinges are not constant and can bother me for a few minutes, a few days, even a few weeks, but then not be noticeable for alternating minutes, days, or for months at a time. There are certain triggers such as if I sit a certain way for an extended period (like at my desk). I believe it is scar tissue from surgeries over the years 'pinching' as I don't seem to have symptoms that would cause alarm (such as weight loss or fever). I forgot about MSM as I did take it years ago and also had a topical cream that I used for sore muscles once upon a time. I will try to find a good source and really appreciate the reminder!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Great suggestions and information, thank you. I do eat some raw cheese (Bunker Hill and one other brand I can't recall at the moment) , occasional goat cheese, or hard selections such as parmesan but I don't believe I eat enough to constitute an amount that would equal the benefit of regular milk consumption plus, I unfortunately have to be careful not to overdo any of it (the cheeses or raw dairy) or I will start reacting (usually stiffness/arthritic-like symptoms, itchy ears, and general inflammation that includes really slowing my transit time). I am hoping to locate a local source for raw goat's milk but haven't found one yet (not for lack of trying).

The discomfort is in a couple of places, rather specific locations. The twinges are not constant and can bother me for a few minutes, a few days, even a few weeks, but then not be noticeable for alternating minutes, days, or for months at a time. There are certain triggers such as if I sit a certain way for an extended period (like at my desk). I believe it is scar tissue from surgeries over the years 'pinching' as I don't seem to have symptoms that would cause alarm (such as weight loss or fever). I forgot about MSM as I did take it years ago and also had a topical cream that I used for sore muscles once upon a time. I will try to find a good source and really appreciate the reminder!
Ray Peat recommends puting sugar in milk when it isn't tolerated well. Sugar and salt are natural antihistamines. It worked well for me until I acclimated better to milk. I also froth up a half cup of milk and add it to a every cup of coffee, as caffeine is another natural antihistamine. Just avoid drinking milk by itself for awhile and have it with those suggestions and see if you can get more milk in. This creation of mine, pictured, with half coconut water and milk and about a tablespoon of white sugar and a pinch of salt is another yummy place to start, as long as coconut water isn't an issue.

Attachments

• 20210718_205341.jpg
    20210718_205341.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220121_174341.jpg
    20220121_174341.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 17

bookshelf

Ray Peat recommends puting sugar in milk when it isn't tolerated well. Sugar and salt are natural antihistamines. It worked well for me until I acclimated better to milk. I also froth up a half cup of milk and add it to a every cup of coffee, as caffeine is another natural antihistamine. Just avoid drinking milk by itself for awhile and have it with those suggestions and see if you can get more milk in. This creation of mine, pictured, with half coconut water and milk and about a tablespoon of white sugar and a pinch of salt is another yummy place to start, as long as coconut water isn't an issue.
This is great to know and I will have to give it a shot - thank you! (Looks delicious, BTW!)

bookshelf

Let me know if any of it works :)
Will do - we have some grass-fed organic whole milk in the house and I might try to pick up a small thing of goat's milk at the market (if it's any good quality). Will certainly be interesting! Thanks again ;)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Will do - we have some grass-fed organic whole milk in the house and I might try to pick up a small thing of goat's milk at the market (if it's any good quality). Will certainly be interesting! Thanks again ;)
I know the salt sounds odd, but boy is it good with the sugar!

bookshelf

I know the salt sounds odd, but boy is it good with the sugar!
Not to me...I've been told I should have a salt lick at my disposal as I put it on so many (often "unusual") things! It's delicious in coffee and I even have a gourmet coffee salt flake. mmmmm! BTW, forgot to acknowledge the egg shell calcium powder remark you made. I actually make my own and tend to add a good helping of coarsely ground shells to my coffee grounds. It makes for a smooth cup and helps insure I will get at least some calcium in every cup. I've also used them in making tea.

I don't have my usual grinding blender with me (it's in deep storage as we're in transition - WHAT was I thinking when I packed it up?!?) but when I do, I am able to bring it to a very fine powder making it easier to incorporate into foods/beverages (less gritty). Unfortunately, the mortar and pestle I have is not big/heavy enough to break it down that much so I have to find creative ways to add it in. I've even thought about sucking on an egg shell...lol.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Not to me...I've been told I should have a salt lick at my disposal as I put it on so many (often "unusual") things! It's delicious in coffee and I even have a gourmet coffee salt flake. mmmmm! BTW, forgot to acknowledge the egg shell calcium powder remark you made. I actually make my own and tend to add a good helping of coarsely ground shells to my coffee grounds. It makes for a smooth cup and helps insure I will get at least some calcium in every cup. I've also used them in making tea.

I don't have my usual grinding blender with me (it's in deep storage as we're in transition - WHAT was I thinking when I packed it up?!?) but when I do, I am able to bring it to a very fine powder making it easier to incorporate into foods/beverages (less gritty). Unfortunately, the mortar and pestle I have is not big/heavy enough to break it down that much so I have to find creative ways to add it in. I've even thought about sucking on an egg shell...lol.
Euwww! No sucking on egg shells! I should be ambitious and make some eggshell calcium. I don't trust myself not to give myself salmonella.

bookshelf

Euwww! No sucking on egg shells! I should be ambitious and make some eggshell calcium. I don't trust myself not to give myself salmonella.
I have a very reliable way to prepare them, if it helps:

If your eggs are from a farm, be sure to wash any bird droppings off, starting with clean eggs.

I save empty shells in a container in the fridge as I use the contents up. If they have a lot of white on them, I will give them a rinse but since I am not leaving them for too long, I don't get overly concerned.

Once I've accumulated enough (a handful of days maybe), I place them in a pot large enough to let them bobble around and cover with filtered water.

I boil them for 10 minutes, dunking them periodically with the back of a spoon to make sure they get a good, thorough hot bath.

Once boiled, I remove them to a cookie sheet (draining them as I go) or a dehydrator rack and let them air dry for a few minutes, removing any excess water from the pan.

I don't get too worried about any residual film on the egg as that adds to the nutrition but I will peel off any large, cooked pieces of whites (if there are ever any...rare).

Then, I dehydrate them in the oven or a dehydrator on low for at least 12 hours then remove and let cool (doesn't take long).

I take the finished eggshells, break them up and store them in a covered glass jar with one of those oxygen absorbers (like you get in supplement bottles) and keep them in a cool dry place.

Been doing this for a long time and have never had an issue. I use them up fairly quickly so they never linger in my cabinet. I've found out the hard way that they don't break down when you cook them in things like sauces so be sure to grind them down to dust if you're going to mix them in to a recipe. Even then, you may have a bit of "sand" to the tooth so they are usually better in smoothies or other beverages where the powder can just be swallowed. I'm sure some people make their own capsules but I'm not that dedicated...yet. haha.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have a very reliable way to prepare them, if it helps:

If your eggs are from a farm, be sure to wash any bird droppings off, starting with clean eggs.

I save empty shells in a container in the fridge as I use the contents up. If they have a lot of white on them, I will give them a rinse but since I am not leaving them for too long, I don't get overly concerned.

Once I've accumulated enough (a handful of days maybe), I place them in a pot large enough to let them bobble around and cover with filtered water.

I boil them for 10 minutes, dunking them periodically with the back of a spoon to make sure they get a good, thorough hot bath.

Once boiled, I remove them to a cookie sheet (draining them as I go) or a dehydrator rack and let them air dry for a few minutes, removing any excess water from the pan.

I don't get too worried about any residual film on the egg as that adds to the nutrition but I will peel off any large, cooked pieces of whites (if there are ever any...rare).

Then, I dehydrate them in the oven or a dehydrator on low for at least 12 hours then remove and let cool (doesn't take long).

I take the finished eggshells, break them up and store them in a covered glass jar with one of those oxygen absorbers (like you get in supplement bottles) and keep them in a cool dry place.

Been doing this for a long time and have never had an issue. I use them up fairly quickly so they never linger in my cabinet. I've found out the hard way that they don't break down when you cook them in things like sauces so be sure to grind them down to dust if you're going to mix them in to a recipe. Even then, you may have a bit of "sand" to the tooth so they are usually better in smoothies or other beverages where the powder can just be swallowed. I'm sure some people make their own capsules but I'm not that dedicated...yet. haha.
Thank you for this! I don't have a dehydrator, but I am sure I could use the oven instead.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My dehydrator is in storage, too, and using the oven has worked just as well for me in this application ;)

I posted this RP clip the other day on calcium in another thread, and where he says a quart of milk equals around 1200mg of calcium carbonate just one quarter of a teaspoon of eggshell calcium taken three times a day WITH MEALS equals 2000mg!

View: https://youtu.be/yl2JdcXrVhE

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"A Listerine foot soak involves dipping one’s feet in a Listerine bath. Across the internet, people are proclaiming the incredible benefits of soaking their feet in Listerine, a popular brand of mouthwash. This home remedy is claimed to cure a number of ailments, including foot fungus, athlete’s foot, infections, and dry skin. Because Listerine is a natural disinfectant, it is thought to be able to prevent some infections that commonly occur on the feet. It is important to note that Listerine is not useful for treating pre-existing infections, and those suffering from painful rashes or wounds should not use this foot soak as a remedy."

"In addition to being a disinfectant, Listerine contains methyl salicylate, a compound similar to that found in Aspirin, as discussed in this article from the Journal of Dentistry. Due to these ingredients present in the mouthwash, a Listerine foot soak is most effectively and reliably used to prevent athlete’s foot and toenail fungus, and to treat dry, cracked feet. Proponents of this home pedicure claim a number of additional health benefits. There is anecdotal evidence that this foot soak can prevent foot odor, remove calluses, prevent other infections on the feet, and serve as a pain reliever."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals