OJ

sunmountain

I've been sipping OJ all day long at work. Small sips.

My teeth are feeling sensitive.

I could drink 8oz at work in one go, and than another 8oz when I come home before supper. Would that be better?

How do I stop it eating up my teeth?

thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
I've been sipping OJ all day long at work. Small sips.

My teeth are feeling sensitive.

I could drink 8oz at work in one go, and than another 8oz when I come home before supper. Would that be better?

How do I stop it eating up my teeth?

thanks
I read a post where one forum member used a glass straw. I'm not sure where you could get a glass straw but I think the person's concern was the xenoestrogens in plastic. If your able to rinse your mouth with water after sips that could also help. I'm wondering how practical that would be at work though. Work has been one of the biggest challenges for me but it has gotten easier with time. I personally felt that the frequent sips of OJ or other sugar consumption ( generally speaking) was better for me in the beginning coming off a low carb eating style.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just wanted to add that adding protein like a small amount of cheese might also help keep the blood sugar more stable. The great lakes green can (collagen hydrosylate) mixed into your juice would serve a similar purpose. It mixes great imo.

J

j.

I think the red can also mix well. The last two days I used great lakes pork gelatin added to cold OJ. It's just two days, but so far so good.

If it works, it can make a huge difference in your protein consumption.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks, Blossom! I just ordered Great Lakes after reading it's good for hair, nails, etc.

I don't know much about gelatin other than jello which I've had just once or twice. I like that green can is tasteless.

Would you also know something to help with my stomach sticking out a bit (probably constipation/bloating due to reovery?)

J -- thanks for the suggestion. Is the red tasteless like the green? I don't want taste. Is it more protein than green or how differnet?

Thanks!!

J

j.

It has a taste. I feel better with it though, although that's based on just one or two impressions of the green, which I think has smaller particles.

The taste depends on how much you add. I had someone taste it who noticed no difference when I added one spoon to a glass. But when I added two spoons to a glass of OJ, the difference was noted.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
Thanks, Blossom! I just ordered Great Lakes after reading it's good for hair, nails, etc.

I don't know much about gelatin other than jello which I've had just once or twice. I like that green can is tasteless.

Would you also know something to help with my stomach sticking out a bit (probably constipation/bloating due to reovery?)

J -- thanks for the suggestion. Is the red tasteless like the green? I don't want taste. Is it more protein than green or how differnet?

Thanks!!
I think they are both virtually tasteless. I always used the beef though so I can't comment on the pork. I had knox pork gelatin once and it was tasteless. I find the green can mixes better in cold beverages in my experience.
I think the stomach issue is probably just adjusting to changes in diet which usually takes about 2 weeks.

Mittir

You can add some baking soda to neutralize the acid in OJ.
RP recommends juice from sweet ripened orange.
Are you making your OJ or it is store bought? Are you straining the juice
to remove fiber? Pectin in OJ can cause digestive problem for people with
bad bacterial composition.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
J.'s got a good point. If I use more than 1-2 tablespoons their is a slight taste. I don't think my sense of taste/smell is stellar though.

J

j.

I got lucky that it suddenly appear in my local market a commercial OJ that somehow tastes better than most home-strained, at a time when good oranges are lacking, and its only additives are citric acid and vitamin c. I drink liters of the stuff daily.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Hmm, I didn't realize OJ might be causing the bloating. Tomorrow I plan to go without OJ - mainly because I'm in the early 300's of carbs whereas my goal is 250. Let's see how the bloating is without OJ. I've been drinking about 16-18 oz today and past days.

The OJ I get is the Whole Foods Organic no-pulp brand.

Great Lakes -- I'm excited to try it. I've ordered the green. How much protein does it have? I could omit the 17g protein bar if it has enough protein, as I'm also exceeding my protein goal.

I'm getting 2200-2500 cals per day these days, whereas my goal is 2000. I need to cut back a bit on fat (100 instead of 80) and carbs (300+ instead of 250).

I'm still struggling to eat more Peatily Had the remainder of garbanzo salad for lunch today, and pesto pizza for dinner.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
Hmm, I didn't realize OJ might be causing the bloating. Tomorrow I plan to go without OJ - mainly because I'm in the early 300's of carbs whereas my goal is 250. Let's see how the bloating is without OJ. I've been drinking about 16-18 oz today and past days.

The OJ I get is the Whole Foods Organic no-pulp brand.

Great Lakes -- I'm excited to try it. I've ordered the green. How much protein does it have? I could omit the 17g protein bar if it has enough protein, as I'm also exceeding my protein goal.

I'm getting 2200-2500 cals per day these days, whereas my goal is 2000. I need to cut back a bit on fat (100 instead of 80) and carbs (300+ instead of 250).

I'm still struggling to eat more Peatily Had the remainder of garbanzo salad for lunch today, and pesto pizza for dinner.
That's the same OJ I drink! What a coincidence. I've heard of some forum members having issues with OJ. An experiment to see if it is OJ bothering you sounds lihke a good plan. Changing the diet can require some time to adjust to and you've made some big changes! Just eating more calories is a big change imo. My can label states that each tablespoon of gelatin has 6 grams of protein. If your protein bar is 17 grams of protein then 3 tablespoons of gelatin should replace that just about perfectly. Good luck!

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Well I didn't do my non OJ experiment today because when I came home from work, the Great Lakes can had arrived, and I dug into it.

Which is to say I had 2 tblsp in 2 med (4-6oz) glasses of a mix of OJ and carbonated water.

I mixed for a while, but there were a few little bits floating, and a bit at the bottom stuck. That grossed me out a bit, but thankfully there was no taste. I will be having it every day now.

If I stir it in hot milk, will it get gooey? I'd hate that!

If it mixes in hot milk, then I could do the non OJ experiment tomorrow.

Anyhow back to the sticking out stomach problem. I'm thinking it's constipation. Any remedies?

Thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yay! I'm glad you like the gelatin. Peat recommends cascara sagrada herb for constipation.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks Blossom. Where do you all get the cascara from?

Mittir, if I mix baking soda into OJ, will it not hurt my teeth anymore?

thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
Thanks Blossom. Where do you all get the cascara from?

thanks
There are a few options for cascara. I've ordered from http://www.arkofwellness.com and been happy with the quality of the product. I've also seen it at health food stores in the herbal section. I have to say if you go that route I would check for additives like silica that can be troublesome. Some forum members order it from Italy (farmalabor) I believe which I haven't personally done yet myself. There is an aging process that the cascara should go through to be effective apparently so that's why I got mine from ARK. I know she follows Peat's work. I did once by a liquid cascara in grain alcohol from the health food store and it didn't seem very effective. I gave it to my adult daughter though and it worked well for her. With the liquid you would be less likely to have unwanted additives. It does work like a charm!

Mittir

sunmountain said:

Acidity of OJ is one of the main reason for dental sensitivity.
Baking soda can neutralize this acid and make it safer.
You have to adjust the amount of baking soda needed to do that.
Sugar can cause dental sensitivity for some people.
I have found calcium and vitamin K ( liver , kale and other greens are rich source)
improving sensitive teeth problem.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks Blossom and Mittir!

Blossom, I just read that cascara is bitter. Is there anything else for constipation? If not, I guess I can try to suck it up.

Mittir, I will try to remember to put baking soda in OJ tomorrow. I forgot today and my teeth are sensitive again. I can add K supplement -- I don't eat meat. I think there was a brand mentioned somewhere on the board. According to cronometer, I am getting my calcium requirement.

Thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals