Myofascial Meridians, Tensegrity, & Structural Health, A Possible Missing Link

Runenight201

Personally breathing exercises were not the most effective strategy for improving my health.

Are they a waste of time? I wouldn’t say so, especially since meditation and breath work can calm the mind, but a body that is moving improperly and over reliant on faulty biomechanics won’t get healed with just breathwork.

Breathwork combined with movement now that’s effective, and that’s pretty much yoga. But yoga I find boring and not the most efficient way to move properly, but I would never discount the modalities effectiveness.

I have come to realize now that the “bracing down” maneuver, is overly stressful on the body, raises blood pressure and increases stress. I believe this is many peoples de facto core and breath response upon performing most movements. The heavy emphasis on the big 3 lifts and using the valsava maneuver also reinforces this stressful breath pattern. This locks up the diaphragm, using it as a core stabilizer instead of its primary function as expanding the thoracic cavity.

When the diaphragm is free to perform its core expansion function while the transverse abdominis, external, internal obliques, and other core stabilizers are left to stabilize the spine according to the movement required, there is fluid motion with aerobic respiration fueling the movement as opposed to anaerobic.

I think living pain and stress free is getting sufficient strength to be able to perform all body weight movements with aerobic respiration with the diaphragm always free to breath while the rest of the core musculature works to stabilize the body. So yoga works, Pilates, calisthenics, primal movements, whatever modality you want to use, so long as emphasis is placed on never locking up the breath and using the diaphragm as a stabilizer, which requires regressing all exercises to appropriate levels where this can be maintained.

Nighteyes

Personally breathing exercises were not the most effective strategy for improving my health.

Are they a waste of time? I wouldn’t say so, especially since meditation and breath work can calm the mind, but a body that is moving improperly and over reliant on faulty biomechanics won’t get healed with just breathwork.

Breathwork combined with movement now that’s effective, and that’s pretty much yoga. But yoga I find boring and not the most efficient way to move properly, but I would never discount the modalities effectiveness.

I have come to realize now that the “bracing down” maneuver, is overly stressful on the body, raises blood pressure and increases stress. I believe this is many peoples de facto core and breath response upon performing most movements. The heavy emphasis on the big 3 lifts and using the valsava maneuver also reinforces this stressful breath pattern. This locks up the diaphragm, using it as a core stabilizer instead of its primary function as expanding the thoracic cavity.

When the diaphragm is free to perform its core expansion function while the transverse abdominis, external, internal obliques, and other core stabilizers are left to stabilize the spine according to the movement required, there is fluid motion with aerobic respiration fueling the movement as opposed to anaerobic.

I think living pain and stress free is getting sufficient strength to be able to perform all body weight movements with aerobic respiration with the diaphragm always free to breath while the rest of the core musculature works to stabilize the body. So yoga works, Pilates, calisthenics, primal movements, whatever modality you want to use, so long as emphasis is placed on never locking up the breath and using the diaphragm as a stabilizer, which requires regressing all exercises to appropriate levels where this can be maintained.

Very interesting. I think I do This a lot at the gym without thinking about it probably to compensate for a weak core. So you suggest inhaling or exhaling during any exercise you do in order to make sure diaphram is not locked up?

Runenight201

In general, movements that involve “opening” up should be performed in the inhale portion, and exhalation on the “closing” or return to neutral.

If there is no clear opening or closing of the body, just make sure there is a continuous flow of breath through the entire set.

The easiest way to regress and train this is to do hollow body holds, dead bugs, and planks all while emphasizing breathing through the entire working set.

As these exercises are mastered, one can progress towards more advanced movements of these exercises while emphasizing breathing.

Perhaps it’s best to not always get caught up in this also. While I think every day should be spent training breath/core, there are times when heavier weight may be needed to induce a muscular response, and despite the best effort some locking up will occur. Also if serious heavy weight is used, such as performing the big 3 exercises at higher intensities, then locking down is the safest way to protect the spine from such large loads.

I really do think though that reaching that level of exercise is a truly advanced stage, and if someone doesn’t have a fully developed core/diaphragm/movement system yet, it is best avoided, at least the locking down technique. Squatting is still a great movement, but caution must be taken to use lighter loads that won’t require locking down to protect the spine.

So long as the general trend is towards a stronger core with a free diaphragm, then health will be progressed.

@pimpnamedraypeat I think these things are usually related to chronic thoracic dysfunction as a consequence of posture of the ribs and shoulders. This can create warped spaces within the diaphragm, rib cage, and pelvic floor (which all act as a sort of box to maintain pressure in the cavity). This will make these tissues very prone to injury as they are operating outside of their normal ranges.

I think a simple intervention is to attempt to create more space in this cavity by elongating the tissues that interact in the region. This may mean stretching the shoulders and hips to give more "slack" to the neighboring tissues. This is a good intervention because directly attempting to manipulate an injury can be painful.

Soft tissue work on these areas like foam rolling or massage will help to reduce adhesions, making these tissues easier to stretch. This is a well-known tactic in exercise physiology for improving tissue conditions. First we stimulate stiff tissue, then we immediately apply a stretch as the area has become more supple and responsive.

I've been stretching and it actually made the symptoms worse I think by moving my herniated stomach down, causing dull pain and discomfort. Perhaps stretching more and more will open me up until it goes all the way down

If by "book" you mean the Trigger Point workbook, probably yes.

It's very clearly written and very well organized. Just look through it and find the area that corresponds to your "referred pain" and then check out where the trigger point is and work that area. I don't know what problems you're referring to but I'm guessing that it's some kind of stiffness.

I don't like the use of term "pain" in medical and even in alternative circles. It can really mean - if one takes the time to observe his sensations - a lot of different things: numbness, stiffness, tenderness, dull pain, sharp pain, achiness.

I'd be really leery of relying on a diagnosis like "hiatal hernia". If you're not careful some doctor will be wheeling you in for surgery.

And there's plenty of other ways to deal with some of the problems you're referring to - I'm guessing. Just check out stretching. It's true that there's a lot of different kinds, but my thinking for a lot of these kinds of issues is to just put length back in one's muscles. And doing trigger point therapy on the connective tissue before you do the stretch will make the stretch go farther. Most stretching just lengthens the body of the muscle, not the fascia.

A good exercise to do for the areas you're having problems is a squat. Polarity therapy uses them a lot. Done the right way it allows the spine to float and the diaphragm to drop. Polarity therapy is off most people's radar but I still have one of Randolph Stone's books from decades ago. Here's another

https://www.amazon.com/Polarity-The...pID=51EoWysuPHL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Also, don't forget Osteopathic physicians, D.O.s. If you can find one who specializes in cranio-sacral work, they're worth a look.

I don't understand how does trigger point therapy make it so that you're stretching the fascia? Thanks for the introduction to polarity therapy this is interesting outside of the hernia issue

Consider strengthening the vagal nerve by using breathing exercises. See page 7 in the link
https://www.fammed.wisc.edu/files/webfm-uploads/documents/outreach/im/module_gerd_clinician.pdf

Will do thank you

Thanks guys I'll post in a few to let you know how things are going. I've had it for a while so I don't know how long it will take to heal

Owen B

I've been stretching and it actually made the symptoms worse I think by moving my herniated stomach down, causing dull pain and discomfort. Perhaps stretching more and more will open me up until it goes all the way down

I don't understand how does trigger point therapy make it so that you're stretching the fascia? Thanks for the introduction to polarity therapy this is interesting outside of the hernia issue

Will do thank you

Thanks guys I'll post in a few to let you know how things are going. I've had it for a while so I don't know how long it will take to heal
A trigger point is a buildup of fiber in the fascia at the point where the nerve enters the muscle. If you work the TP by using the kinds of tools for that: a theracane, a knobble, a lacrosse ball etc., your fingers, you're breaking up the fiber and the fascia will gain resilience. You have to find the areas where the TPs are - they're extremely tender and sore - and work them.

If you want to really stretch the fascia you have to find the right method. After I work the TPs before stretching it makes the body of the muscle easier to stretch because I think the fascia have gained some resilience.

But working the fascia directly is very difficult and requires a lot of work. Watch gymnasts work out before a match. They have metal bars covered with tape and vigorously roll the fascia/muscle to stay loose.

The only stretching method I know of that addresses both the fascia and the body of the muscle is resistance stretching. It's very demanding because it requires a lot of muscle strength going in. One contracts and expands the muscle at the same time. It sometimes requires a couple of helpers to ease you into the full stretch. I tried it. It was too demanding for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Flexi...preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

A trigger point is a buildup of fiber in the fascia at the point where the nerve enters the muscle. If you work the TP by using the kinds of tools for that: a theracane, a knobble, a lacrosse ball etc., your fingers, you're breaking up the fiber and the fascia will gain resilience. You have to find the areas where the TPs are - they're extremely tender and sore - and work them.

If you want to really stretch the fascia you have to find the right method. After I work the TPs before stretching it makes the body of the muscle easier to stretch because I think the fascia have gained some resilience.

But working the fascia directly is very difficult and requires a lot of work. Watch gymnasts work out before a match. They have metal bars covered with tape and vigorously roll the fascia/muscle to stay loose.

The only stretching method I know of that addresses both the fascia and the body of the muscle is resistance stretching. It's very demanding because it requires a lot of muscle strength going in. One contracts and expands the muscle at the same time. It sometimes requires a couple of helpers to ease you into the full stretch. I tried it. It was too demanding for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Flexi...preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Thank you for the explanation. I downloaded the book let’s see how it goes

@CoolTweetPete @Runenight201 @Owen B

i am getting better though not fully cured. I still have gerd at night. I can breath better and am running again and doing cardio and not getting exhausted using stairs. I am also feeling emotions in the chest, there must have been some kind of blockage or stuckness there, now when i listen to music i feel sparks or zaps in my chest when the singer hits a good note or cord. Something to do with the vagus nerve I presume.
Heart chakra maybe?

Lots more energy. I am working out eating more gaining weight. I suddenly feel cramped in my room and overrun with energy to go out and do something. My life was adjusted to my low energy state so some changes will have to be made.

Being on my computer all day sort of slumped I think weakens the diaphragm so that hernias can occur. I can feel it whwn i read or use the laptop now. Standing and walking with good posture has made an enormous difference

Owen B

i am getting better though not fully cured. I still have gerd at night. I can breath better and am running again and doing cardio and not getting exhausted using stairs. I am also feeling emotions in the chest, there must have been some kind of blockage or stuckness there, now when i listen to music i feel sparks or zaps in my chest when the singer hits a good note or cord. Something to do with the vagus nerve I presume.
Heart chakra maybe?

Lots more energy. I am working out eating more gaining weight. I suddenly feel cramped in my room and overrun with energy to go out and do something. My life was adjusted to my low energy state so some changes will have to be made.

Being on my computer all day sort of slumped I think weakens the diaphragm so that hernias can occur. I can feel it whwn i read or use the laptop now. Standing and walking with good posture has made an enormous difference
Sounds like you're in a better place.

My philosophy is to increase the amount of coherence in my system, using whatever kind of techniques or substances that work along those lines.

Getting ones diaphragm down will help something like GERD but so will the right diet. doing both - probably better.

I have huge energy problems as well. Lately what's working for me is regular bag breathing. Over time I can feel my head clear up, my breath is getting deeper and I have more energy. As simple as you can get but very effective.

When I hear you say you're "slumped" on the computer, I get that not just from a computer but from my TV as well. Don't overlook the effects of EMF pollution. I've been researching it a lot lately and there's a lot to learn in terms of the kinds of fields, how to mitigate them. There's not a lot of magnetic fields from a screen but there could be a lot of electric fields, especially if the device is not grounded properly. Don't forget radio frequency pollution from wireless technology. If I spend too much time on the computer I feel totally drained. I've stopped watching TV and I'm trying to learn more about this kind of stuff.

Here's a great site that has tons of good info and links about this subject.

Welcome to Create Healthy Homes

Here's another site with all the tools you'll need.

EMF Safety Superstore - Electromagnetic Field Meters and Shielding

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Sounds like you're in a better place.

My philosophy is to increase the amount of coherence in my system, using whatever kind of techniques or substances that work along those lines.

Getting ones diaphragm down will help something like GERD but so will the right diet. doing both - probably better.

I have huge energy problems as well. Lately what's working for me is regular bag breathing. Over time I can feel my head clear up, my breath is getting deeper and I have more energy. As simple as you can get but very effective.

When I hear you say you're "slumped" on the computer, I get that not just from a computer but from my TV as well. Don't overlook the effects of EMF pollution. I've been researching it a lot lately and there's a lot to learn in terms of the kinds of fields, how to mitigate them. There's not a lot of magnetic fields from a screen but there could be a lot of electric fields, especially if the device is not grounded properly. Don't forget radio frequency pollution from wireless technology. If I spend too much time on the computer I feel totally drained. I've stopped watching TV and I'm trying to learn more about this kind of stuff.

Here's a great site that has tons of good info and links about this subject.

Welcome to Create Healthy Homes

Here's another site with all the tools you'll need.

EMF Safety Superstore - Electromagnetic Field Meters and Shielding

I agree with you both.

I think too much screen time can exacerbate these types of issues. Ocular strain seems to be especially draining on the nervous system. I think this will probably limit the effectiveness of recovery. I notice when I watch a lot of TV, I have to sleep extra to feel well-rested.

Owen B

Heart chakra maybe?

Are you doing anything else for the GERD? Nutritional or are you going with stretching?

My first thought about stretching and GERD and the diaphragm is about the abdominals. A lot of people do weights for the abs but if a person has energy problems or digestive problems that doesn't sound like a good idea. a bulked up muscle enlarges and shortens. It seems like it would then press against the stomach and then the stomach presses up against the diaphragm which in turn presses up against the lower part of lungs. So it seems like that kind of strengthening would be bad for both GERD and energy.

My stretching always includes stretching the big abdominal that goes vertical from the breast bone to the pubis. I want that muscle long and limber. Most people have spastic diaphragms from day to day to anxiety, as I do. I don't need to aggravate it. Having such a diaphragm is already a sign of stress and anxiety and resultant energy problems.

Owen B

I agree with you both.

I think too much screen time can exacerbate these types of issues. Ocular strain seems to be especially draining on the nervous system. I think this will probably limit the effectiveness of recovery. I notice when I watch a lot of TV, I have to sleep extra to feel well-rested.
What do you mean by "ocular strain"?

Hugh Johnson

I am resurrecting this using dark magicks beyond human comprehension because I am incredibly tight on the front. It is in fact difficult to stand up straight, and it used to make me lose conciousness. I think this thread could be useful to people.

LUH 3417

I am resurrecting this using dark magicks beyond human comprehension because I am incredibly tight on the front. It is in fact difficult to stand up straight, and it used to make me lose conciousness. I think this thread could be useful to people.
Can you expound

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

What do you mean by "ocular strain"?

Sorry, missed this. I meant staring at something all day that never changes distance (TV, computer, phone). This probably results in deranged function of the muscles in the back of the head.

These muscles help control the face and eyes. If they are dysfunctional, there will be severe physical consequences. I think this pattern of dysfunction can occur very early in life. Those muscles are important for elongating the neck when someone is sleeping on their back. If someone does not develop them strongly enough, I think they will struggle with their head and neck posture. I certainly had all of the above.

The book I based this thread on mentions that those muscles have something like 64 times more spindle fiber density than any other set of muscles in the body. This is an indication of profound importance.

OP
CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

I suppose, though I am not quite sure what you desire.

I used to be so tight that just raising my hands up stretching the chest would cause my blood pressure to crash and I would almost pass out and might have to squat. It's not quite as bad now, but I still get headaches from the stretch.
I suppose, though I am not quite sure what you desire.

I used to be so tight that just raising my hands up stretching the chest would cause my blood pressure to crash and I would almost pass out and might have to squat. It's not quite as bad now, but I still get headaches from the stretch.

I’ve learned more about this stuff since posting this thread.

Vibration is absolutely critical to resolving these types of problems. There are consumer products available like the TheraGun (very pricey), HyperVolt (medium pricey), and many lower price alternatives. They are intended for muscle / fascia stimulation, which when coupled with stretching, should help remodel the tissues and alleviate the discomfort they’re producing.

I would also look into common postural distortions like swayback posture, flat back posture, and kyphotic-lordotic postures. People who do not have perfect posture will display one of these defective spinal positions. It can be resolved by targeting the muscles that are distorting the spinal position. For example, in my swayback posture, I am working to resolve excessive tension in my hamstrings, upper abdomen/lower chest, and along the lateral part of my entire body. I have felt a huge benefit from working on this issue for about a year now.

Alomongerpete

Great thread. I've been doing the Feldenkrais Method for maybe 10 years now and it's been life changing. I started out having quit powerlifting and had so much tightness in my body with a very limited range of motion. Through doing this I've become a lot more supple and it's also made me think in a more flexible way. Recently I've been trying to rehab from removal of wisdom teeth and how this has affected my posture and this has been the most beneficial practice including emotional releases. I have also found a reduced need for acupuncture and overall better energy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals