Low progesterone, not low estrogen, drives night sweats, insomnia of menopause

LoryEl

Did you do bloodwork on progesterone? It's possible that now you are progesterone dominant. Hence, the reason for dissapearing period. This is just a speculation. I don't have a definite answer. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks LC. I did some blood work last year and the values were in range. I will redo the blood work.

LoryEl

Quick update here. I stopped progesterone for 1.5 months now and feel better. Being in the summer sun helps with both heat and not getting hot flashes. Probably I was over with the progesterone. I did not got any menses for 119 days. I am considering a visit to the doctor but afraid of the estrogen she mai prescribe.

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Quick update here. I stopped progesterone for 1.5 months now and feel better. Being in the summer sun helps with both heat and not getting hot flashes. Probably I was over with the progesterone. I did not got any menses for 119 days. I am considering a visit to the doctor but afraid of the estrogen she mai prescribe.
I have a similar situation to you. I am interested in the thyroid meds accelerating perimenopause...that seems to fit with that happened to me, although I had a lot going on at the time. I had just had emergency back surgery, coming out of it, healing, I was also trying to optimize my thyroid meds so my dr. changed me to compounded T4/T3 and at that time I immediately started getting hot and cold flashes. Severe that I was walking around with a robe and blanket on, then taking them off when the heat came. I reduced my dose of thyroid and these got better, then ramped up more slowly to my normal dose (compared to Armour). I had been taking progesterone regularly and thought that I needed to take more to help with the temp issues so I also was taking a lot of progesterone/e-oil and it made the hot flashes come back worse. I had blood and saliva testing done showing my estrogen was almost nothing and progesterone was very high, so I was thinking I am one of those people who need a little estrogen with progesterone. I stopped taking progesterone as it just seemed like I over did it. I mean I know the evils of estrogen, but it is all about the balance, right? I am in full blown menopause now, so I don't think I can get back.

LoryEl

I have a similar situation to you. I am interested in the thyroid meds accelerating perimenopause...that seems to fit with that happened to me, although I had a lot going on at the time. I had just had emergency back surgery, coming out of it, healing, I was also trying to optimize my thyroid meds so my dr. changed me to compounded T4/T3 and at that time I immediately started getting hot and cold flashes. Severe that I was walking around with a robe and blanket on, then taking them off when the heat came. I reduced my dose of thyroid and these got better, then ramped up more slowly to my normal dose (compared to Armour). I had been taking progesterone regularly and thought that I needed to take more to help with the temp issues so I also was taking a lot of progesterone/e-oil and it made the hot flashes come back worse. I had blood and saliva testing done showing my estrogen was almost nothing and progesterone was very high, so I was thinking I am one of those people who need a little estrogen with progesterone. I stopped taking progesterone as it just seemed like I over did it. I mean I know the evils of estrogen, but it is all about the balance, right? I am in full blown menopause now, so I don't think I can get back.
What age and how long ago did this happen?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals