Is Having a Car So Much Better Than Having to Rely on Public Transportation?

K

Kayaker

I love driving and consider myself a good and safe driver.

I got my license really late in life because of anxiety/procrastination/high-serotonin induced lack of motivation.

I love driving from NYC to PA, beautiful countryside, trees and mountains.
My father drove my family from NYC to Florida and it was a hard journey in terms of length - you have to divide the trip into 2 hours rides - stopping halfway in South Caroline (love Myrtle Beach, would love to live there one day.)

Also I have so many doctor's appointments nowadays that getting to them without a car is simply too difficult.
Enjoy it while you can. Soon, you'll have to choose between driving an electric car and having to wait at charging stations, or paying absurd amounts of money for gas.

K

Kayaker

A car is a must have for the serious Peater. I don't know about you, bit I find it very embarrassing to buy so much milk, so I get it from numerous supermarkets. With a car it is just about doable. Without, is a very different matter...
So you shop at different supermarkets just to avoid raising eyebrows? Sounds like a social anxiety problem to me.

So you shop at different supermarkets just to avoid raising eyebrows? Sounds like a social anxiety problem to me.
Literally I do, and I have no objection to being labelled socially anxious. Because I am. But with Peat, I have all new cheap moves, and it's like 1989.

Herbie

Every industry is corrupted to some degree. Wherever there is money there is going to be corruption. If you think horse and buggy days, which is where you would be without oil, were corrupt too.
I would never been born if it wasn’t for oil

What do you mean by 1989? Discarding old habits?
I think 1989 was the last optimistic year for the West, when the Berlin Wall came down and a number of nations genuinely became freer. It also had feel-good movies like Ghostbusters II, which you just don't see these days. It was the antithesis of the present Covid tyranny.

Discarding old habits would be a laudable goal, but even "Peating" with the highest quality milk I can find has done little for my social anxiety and driving skills. On the other hand, the sense of alienation from a corrupt system has made it easier for me to refuse the Covid vaccine. Having a car helps with that.

HealthPete

I had and drove a car all my life until 2 years ago. I cannot drive after getting nerve damage that affected my eyesight. Im 46. At first I was really bummed, but now Im happy about it. I actually feel much freer. Cars are a huge cost. Now I dont need to pay for insurance, repairs, gas, tickets, etc. I live on my off grid homestead out in the jungle so I never get bored. My life is more efficient. I spent a lot of hours of my life sitting in my car and driving, now I do other things.

nomoreketones

I had and drove a car all my life until 2 years ago. I cannot drive after getting nerve damage that affected my eyesight. Im 46. At first I was really bummed, but now Im happy about it. I actually feel much freer. Cars are a huge cost. Now I dont need to pay for insurance, repairs, gas, tickets, etc. I live on my off grid homestead out in the jungle so I never get bored. My life is more efficient. I spent a lot of hours of my life sitting in my car and driving, now I do other things.
Sounds like a nice way to live in some ways. Do you ever have issues obtaining food?

Yonebayashian

I don't know about you, bit I find it very embarrassing to buy so much milk, so I get it from numerous supermarkets.

You specifically go out of your way to go to multiple different supermarkets because you're afraid of being judged for having a couple gallons of milk? How much milk are you drinking?

hei

A car is a must have for the serious Peater. I don't know about you, bit I find it very embarrassing to buy so much milk, so I get it from numerous supermarkets. With a car it is just about doable. Without, is a very different matter...
I don't care and if anyone comments on it I happily tell them the truth: "I just really love milk" and I don't mind telling them that I drink about 3 litres daily. Most people just accept it even if they think it's a bit strange, guys often agree and say something like "yeah I love milk too".
Milk being taboo would be a nightmare but I think you must be overestimating the stigma. Supermarkets sell huge amounts of it (and, anyway, are in the business of selling lots of things) so I can't even imagine one worrying about one person buying a few more bottles than other people. The only time it was a problem was during the panic buying last year when purchases were restricted, and then I just had to go more often. If you still have a problem with it, think about the people leaving the supermarket with trollies full of garbage junk foods or soda. Nobody hassles them and milk is a lot better than that.
The only problem about not having a car is that carrying all the milk home is not so fun.

Jennifer

If you think that's embarrassing, imagine how the 30 bananas a day crowd felt!

Meh...I got used to the odd looks and questions. I'm referred to as melon girl by employees at the markets I've been buying my fruit in bulk from since 2006. I was getting my weekly bulk order (28 liters) of raw milk directly from the farm but they stop milking the goats mid November to April so I've had to buy it (currently, 14 liters) from the market and navigate the same odd looks and questions I get with fruit. I have fun with it. I tell them I’m an aspiring bodybuilder and wait for that uncomfortable moment when it registers that this barely 5’ tall Olive Oyl standing in front of them appears to be totally unaware that all the protein and gym effort aren’t paying off, and watch as they wrestle with whether or not they should be the one to say something and crush my dreams.

Where I grew up and currently live, it takes forever to get anywhere but my grandmother lived in town and I used to love taking the bus and walking around the city with her to get groceries and whatnot. Along with using my own two feet, the thought of having someone drive this Miss Dizzy around is appealing to me. I could take a nap, read a book, write my memoir, do my nails, whatever.

JohnA

People don't talk about this often, but I think driving is actually really good practice for your vision, especially night vision. Driving forces you to scan and keep your vision at a further distance than when you're at your computer or on your phone in the back of a bus or Uber.

If you don't play sports, driving is probably the most consistent moderate to long distance vision practice that most urban people get. Of course, you can go for walks, but most people don't really walk outside that much after dark, and I think practicing night vision is pretty important to overall vision health.

Donttreadonme

People don't talk about this often, but I think driving is actually really good practice for your vision, especially night vision. Driving forces you to scan and keep your vision at a further distance than when you're at your computer or on your phone in the back of a bus or Uber.

If you don't play sports, driving is probably the most consistent moderate to long distance vision practice that most urban people get. Of course, you can go for walks, but most people don't really walk outside that much after dark, and I think practicing night vision is pretty important to overall vision health.
I don't drive too much at night. Not because I'm old but I'm married with kids and dont to out like i used to. Now every time i drive at night its like woah this is weird!

I want to flight school and i love night flying. Its supposed to be harder because you don't have a horizon for reference but i love it and found it easier than day flying and landings came easier at night because I just felt things as opposed to the day when you see all the little mistakes....

PxD

I don’t drive anything with less than 400 horsepower. Manual transmission preferred

JohnA

I don't drive too much at night. Not because I'm old but I'm married with kids and dont to out like i used to. Now every time i drive at night its like woah this is weird!
It's easy to drive at night in mid December. The sun sets at 4:30pm!

HealthPete

Sounds like a nice way to live in some ways. Do you ever have issues obtaining food?
Im in the process of growning food. I have so far about 15 fruit trees and some vegetables, sweet potatoes, greens, etc. I plan to raise tilapia and ducks and maybe some sheep. I have a full size fridge snd I do get rides into town once or twice a week, s9 I can buy food. I really don't mind not having all the expense and responsibility of having a car. If I was younger, it would probably be different though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom