Healthier Grooming & Beauty Hacks

Lollipop2

For face:

*IdeaLabs SolBan for astringent before next layers
*a Serum from 100Percent Pure. - amazing clean cosmetic and makeup company. I think @Jennifer told me about it.

*IdeaLabs Estroban as a serum with a drop of Progest-e and a few drops Pansterone occasionally.
*Beef tallow from Vintage Tradition for my main face cream

For skin:
*I make my own body and hand “cream” from cocoa butter, beef tallow, coconut oil and scent with orange essential oil - sometimes add lemon essential oil.

*Deodorant roll on from Tropical Traditions - is mostly coconut oil.

Coconut Shampoo/conditioner from 100Percent Pure

edit: eye cream from 100Percent Pure:

Last edited:

golder

Great post, can you share a link to the 100percent Pure facial serum that you use :)

Lollipop2

Great post, can you share a link to the 100percent Pure facial serum that you use :)
Sure!

I will add to my post above as well. This company is outstanding and have loved every product I have used of theirs.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Some that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Soapberry as a shampoo and body cleanser—I buy it made up and also make my own by brewing Indian soapberry (reetha), acacia (shikakai) and Indian gooseberry (amla) together with herbs like horsetail and nettle, and add some floral oils
  • Apple cider vinegar as a hair clarifier
  • Hibiscus as a moisturizing rinse for hair and a natural lip and cheek stain
  • Floral waxes for moisturizing hair ends and as a natural perfume
  • Henna as a natural hair dye
  • Macerated oils as an all over moisturizer and natural perfume
  • Witch hazel and hydrosols as a facial toner, deodorant and natural perfume
  • Raw honey for clearing blemishes and as a wound dressing
  • Coffee grounds as a skin exfoliant
  • White kaolin clay, baking soda, coconut oil, clove and peppermint oil as a natural tooth paste
  • Charcoal and turmeric for whitening teeth
I knew somebody who did the apple cider rinse and her hair was so shiny, but when I did it dried my hair out badly. How do you use it?

Jennifer

I knew somebody who did the apple cider rinse and her hair was so shiny, but when I did it dried my hair out badly. How do you use it?

I apply it diluted (1 part ACV to 3 parts distilled water) after I shampoo my hair and leave it on while I’m washing the rest of my body (about 5 minutes) and then rinse it out. I do a rinse about once a month. Champagne and beer also work well as rinses.

Edit: I forgot to mention that egg yolk (applied to the hair and rinsed with cold water) works well as a conditioner, too.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Wrinkles..?

Aside from dietary interventions, exfoliation (with a cloth, cleansing brush or gentle scrub like baking soda), and applying a humectant like aloe vera, glycerin or hyaluronic acid and a fat your skin tolerates well—coconut oil (fractionated if wanting a lighter oil), cocoa butter, lanolin, tallow etc.—may help.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I apply it diluted (1 part ACV to 3 parts distilled water) after I shampoo my hair and leave it on while I’m washing the rest of my body (about 5 minutes) and then rinse it out. I do a rinse about once a month. Champagne and beer also work well as rinses.

Edit: I forgot to mention that egg yolk (applied to the hair and rinsed with cold water) works well as a conditioner, too.
Thanks Jennifer! I will say when I did it it did lighten my hair a lot.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Aside from dietary interventions, exfoliation (with a cloth, cleansing brush or gentle scrub like baking soda), and applying a humectant like aloe vera, glycerin or hyaluronic acid and a fat your skin tolerates well—coconut oil (fractionated if wanting a lighter oil), cocoa butter, lanolin, tallow etc.—may help.
I have a kitchen sponge in my shower and I use the abrasive side with soap on my feet every shower.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wrinkles..?
Not to recommend anything unPeaty, but MSM has served me well for reducing wrinkles over time. Peat doesn't say MSM itself is bad, but he isn't trusting of it's purity because of how it is made. He says the same thing about about vitamin C. Nevertheless I used it for many years and swear by it, but my source is no more and i have been experienced heavy metal symptoms in the two other high end brands I have used so I haven't used it for several years now.

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer! I will say when I did it it did lighten my hair a lot.

You’re welcome! :) Huh, that’s interesting that the ACV lightened your hair. I used to do the no poo method years ago with baking soda and ACV daily and my hair turned light copper (I’m a brunette) and I thought it had to do with my thyroid since thyroid affects copper metabolism, but now I wonder if the ACV was partly to blame. I can’t stand the smell of it so I only use it once a month now and haven’t noticed my hair lightening.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You’re welcome! :) Huh, that’s interesting that the ACV lightened your hair. I used to do the no poo method years ago with baking soda and ACV daily and my hair turned light copper (I’m a brunette) and I thought it had to do with my thyroid since thyroid affects copper metabolism, but now I wonder if the ACV was partly to blame. I can’t stand the smell of it so I only use it once a month now and haven’t noticed my hair lightening.
Oh yeah baking soda does that. I have used it on my hair as well as a light scrub and it lightened my skin and REALLY dried out my hair! For the hair i was told to put conditioner on my hair before shampooing it with the baking soda shampo mix, and unfortunately I skipped that first step. It works like a bleach! I would be scared to try it again.

ChelsBells

A 2011 study published in the Journal of Women's Health reported, "There is strong evidence that mineral oil hydrocarbons are the greatest contaminant of the human body. The researchers removed fat specimens from 142 women who were undergoing C-sections, and collected milk samples from them post-delivery. They found that both the fat and the milk were contaminated with mineral oil saturated hydrocarbons. The authors concluded, "The increase in MOSH [mineral oil saturated hydrocarbons] concentration in human fat tissue with age suggests an accumulation over time. Cosmetics might be a relevant source of the contamination."

Dr Ray Peat affirmed the study saying, “certain components of mineral oil (which is in many cosmetics) are toxic, and any that does get into the system does not metabolize."

I have given up, one at a time, almost every store bought beauty product, and sunscreen was my first elimination. The harms of sun screen, and it blocking vitamin D absorption was convincing enough for me to make my first move, but the "rabbit study" convinced me to spend more time in the sun. The study proved that PUFA's stored in the skin makes the skin burn (and overexposure) and cause skin cancers. Being a natural blonde I was proof the study was right, because as time passed and I eliminated PUFA's my skin didn't burn anymore! I was sickened by all the damage I had done to my skin slathering on all that sunscreen, and oh my poor babies! My well intentions of trying to protect them with sunscreen and many other ill advised things, leaves me with much regret. It did always make me wonder what people did before sunscreen was invented, as they weren't dying of skin cancer. It begged the question of what other stupid things i am doing while trying be healthy, and one by one, I discovered their were lots of things! My beauty routine is minimal now and saves me SO much money. I don't go to salons for facials, hair colorings or cuts or manicures. I don't buy lotions, toners, toothpaste, exfoliators, deoderant and face masks. I am down to shampoo, conditioner and 6 cosmetics: mascara, eye shadow, eye liner, blush, face powder and lip gloss. I off-set that beauty routine by washing my hair every OTHER day and wear make-up only when I want to look like a little more. It has made tremendous difference in my anti-aging quest, with more compliments now than ever before. Below i have listed my new and improved NATURAL beauty tips and would love if we could collectively make it complete!

*Unsalted grass fed butter to remove stubborn mascara smeared under my eyes

*A fine side of a kitchen sponge to exfoliate my legs and follow it up with a little coconut oil.

*Oil pulling for white teeth

*Milk Of amagnesia for deodorant

*Coconut oil as a daily toothpaste & once a week with a small amount of baking soda

*Ice cold rinse on hair & face at the end of a warm shower for smoother & shinier hair and even toned skin

*Silk pillow case for better completion & less hair breakage

*Manuka honey face mask to dissolve dead skin & feed the skin
I'm so glad you made this post! Thank you!

I try to rotate shampoos/conditioners but I think this is the cleanest shampoo I have:

I'm not sure if shea butter is the best, but I haven't ventured into making my own shampoos yet but I like the Allafia Unscented so far. I really like that this shampoo is both cleansing and conditioning - I've never found a shampoo that left my hair soft enough that I didn't need to condition afterwards. Always open to new suggestions though.

Here are my tips:

•coconut oil as a face moisturizer
•coconut oil + grass fed tallow as a body moisturizer
•coconut oil + sugar + beet root lip scrub
•coconut oil + baking soda deodorant
•coconut oil for brushing teeth
•egg + yogurt hair mask
•coffee grounds + coconut oil scalp mask for growth
•coffee grounds exfloatior leave it on for a little bit (it's moisturizing but also adds a slight tan)

Lemons remove stain from beet root, dried raspberry, etc.

This post prompted me to look up some more natural beauty hacks. Here's what I found:

•Gelatin + milk + activated charcoal pore strips
•Potato slices for puffy eyes & dark circles
•Aspirin face mask for acne
•Salt hair spray for waves (could be drying)
•Strawberries apparently whiten teeth
•Ceylon Cinnamon + small amount of tallow or Coconut oil for lip plumping
•Cocoa Powder + moisturizer of choice for tanner (can stain clothes)
•Carrot + Beet + Coffee + Turmeric all work as stains (I can't remember for sure why turmeric is sometimes frowned upon? Heavy metals?)

What are everyone's thoughts on using henna as a self tanner?

I'm not sure if it's safe but I'm trying to come up with natural ways to give my skin a better glow. I've noticed if my skin is clear & I have a nice glow, all I really like after that is mascara & eyeliner.

Which leads me to wondering if there are any good natural charcoal eyeliners/mascaras & are they even safe?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm so glad you made this post! Thank you!

I try to rotate shampoos/conditioners but I think this is the cleanest shampoo I have:

I'm not sure if shea butter is the best, but I haven't ventured into making my own shampoos yet but I like the Allafia Unscented so far. I really like that this shampoo is both cleansing and conditioning - I've never found a shampoo that left my hair soft enough that I didn't need to condition afterwards. Always open to new suggestions though.

Here are my tips:

•coconut oil as a face moisturizer
•coconut oil + grass fed tallow as a body moisturizer
•coconut oil + sugar + beet root lip scrub
•coconut oil + baking soda deodorant
•coconut oil for brushing teeth
•egg + yogurt hair mask
•coffee grounds + coconut oil scalp mask for growth
•coffee grounds exfloatior leave it on for a little bit (it's moisturizing but also adds a slight tan)

Lemons remove stain from beet root, dried raspberry, etc.

This post prompted me to look up some more natural beauty hacks. Here's what I found:

•Gelatin + milk + activated charcoal pore strips
•Potato slices for puffy eyes & dark circles
•Aspirin face mask for acne
•Salt hair spray for waves (could be drying)
•Strawberries apparently whiten teeth
•Ceylon Cinnamon + small amount of tallow or Coconut oil for lip plumping
•Cocoa Powder + moisturizer of choice for tanner (can stain clothes)
•Carrot + Beet + Coffee + Turmeric all work as stains (I can't remember for sure why turmeric is sometimes frowned upon? Heavy metals?)

What are everyone's thoughts on using henna as a self tanner?

I'm not sure if it's safe but I'm trying to come up with natural ways to give my skin a better glow. I've noticed if my skin is clear & I have a nice glow, all I really like after that is mascara & eyeliner.

Which leads me to wondering if there are any good natural charcoal eyeliners/mascaras & are they even safe?
Thanks for your additions Chelsbells! Glad you like the post! Hopefully this will make is all a bit healthier and little richer! I have tried the strawberries for whitening teeth and it does work, I leave it on bit and brush again. I thought the gelatin pore strips was really interesting! This is all really good stuff!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals