Green light exposure may reduce Fear based Anxiety and Opioid Use

David PS

I have known for decades that dentist use the color green in their offices to relax their patients. In addition, they often hange wall pictures of pastoral landscapes for the same reason.
The color theory also has a psychological element to it, meaning that the colors you choose will impact the environment around you. For many offices, these four colors have the top psychological impact on productivity.

• Green – promotes harmony/balance, reduces anxiety, reduces eye-straining.
  • Blue – soothes/calms, promotes trust and communication, improves focus.
  • Yellow – creates optimism, promotes focus and innovation.
  • Red – boosts heart rate and blood flow, increases brain activity.

In this study they used green light-emitting diodes (GLED) for one to two hours daily for 10 weeks.

Of course there is more than one way to skin a cat. More recently, researchers have found that wearing glasses with green lenses has a similar effect. Here, participants wore green eyeglasses for four hours a day for two weeks.

Thalgo

Any recommendations on green eye glasses?

Also, could further explain the benefits of walking in nature

OP
David PS

David PS

Any recommendations on green eye glasses?

Yes, do not use the absolute lowest price eye glasses. The study did not specify a specific wavelength of green. But the green band in the color spectrum is fairly narrow. So just focus on lenses that look like a true green.

I am purchased a pair that for less than $15 US dollars. This is the one that I purchased and I am happy with my purchase.

GloFX Green Color Therapy Glasses Migraine Glasses Chakra Relax Glasses

OP
David PS

David PS

Yes I agree. It may also contribute to seasonal affected disorder (SAD). I live in a region where the leaves on the deciduous trees have fallen and my forest walks are not longer green. I will be more concerning in the winter when the snow covers everything.

OP
David PS

David PS

What changes do you notice?
The marketing hype on Amazon states that green glasses are:
Great for: Chronic Migraines, Migraine Glasses, Green Light Therapy, Chronic Pain Relief, Chronic Pain,
I do not have any of these issues. In addition, I do not have fear-based-anxiety or opioid use issues (which are mentioned in the title of this thread). I consider wearing green glasses to be a mild Non-Pharmaceutical Intervention (NPI) that is easy to implement and produces results in a week or two. I had no expectation of any great changes but I was curious and I have been wearing my glasses since Nov 16 of this year. I had expected that I would feel a little mellower; but that did not happen.

Unexpectedly, I noticed 2 or 3 days into my experiment that I would get out of bed in the morning feeling more clearheaded. I plan to continue my experiment throughout the winter.

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

I am continuing with my green light experiment. I found this article to be intriguing.

Case Report: Green Light Exposure Relieves Chronic Headache Pain in a Colorblind Patient
ABSTRACT: Patients with chronic headaches sometimes prefer non-pharmacological methods for pain management. We have shown previously that green light exposure (GLED, Green Light Emitting Diode) reversed thermal hyperalgesia and mechanical allodynia in a rat model of neuropathic pain. This effect is mediated through the visual system. Moreover, we recently showed that GLED was effective in decreasing the severity of headache pain and the number of headache-days per month in migraine patients. The visual system is comprised of image-forming and non-image-forming pathways; however, the contribution of different photosensitive cells to the effect of GLED is not yet known. Here, we report a 66-year-old man with headaches attributed to other disorders of homeostasis and color blindness who was recruited in the GLED study. The subject, diagnosed with protanomaly, cannot differentiate green, yellow, orange, and red colors. After completing the GLED exposure protocol, the subject noted significant decreases in headache pain intensity without reduction in the number of headache-days per month. The subject also reported improvement in the quality of his sleep. These findings suggest that green light therapy mediates the decrease of the headache pain intensity through non-image-forming intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells. However, the subject did not report a change in the frequency of his headaches, suggesting the involvement of cones in reduction of headache frequency by GLED. This is the first case reported of a colorblind man with chronic headache using GLED to manage his headache pain and may increase our understanding of the contribution of different photosensitive cells in mediating the pain-relieving effects of GLED.

Inaut

I'm not hip to today's tv specs but I have noticed that LED technology has come a long way and is pretty affordable now. Are there any tvs out there that produce low emf and but enough light intensity to have a systemic benefits? Does it require skin exposure to absorb the light or can it be absorbed simply through my eyes with consistent exposure?

We have all heard that the eyes are windows to the soul.... If that were case (hypothetically speaking), then healing can also be done through the eyes and without the need for additional lighting arrays. Everybody owns a tv (or any device really) and can just set a background to color green and just mellow out looking at it for a while (or whatever color they feel drawn to). I noticed when I have green ambient lighting on and a green background on my tv (right now), I'm super calm... I wonder if this can be used to treat anxiety and mood disorders as well? Maybe you just need to focus on the screen and breathe and let the color/light do it's thing...

OliviaD

I have known for decades that dentist use the color green in their offices to relax their patients. In addition, they often hange wall pictures of pastoral landscapes for the same reason.

In this study they used green light-emitting diodes (GLED) for one to two hours daily for 10 weeks.

Of course there is more than one way to skin a cat. More recently, researchers have found that wearing glasses with green lenses has a similar effect. Here, participants wore green eyeglasses for four hours a day for two weeks.
Interesting. I remember reading this in the past, and even bought some green light bulbs, but never ended up putting them in. I've since abandoned green for the red light, which I bask in at night :)

OP
David PS

David PS

I'm not hip to today's tv specs but I have noticed that LED technology has come a long way and is pretty affordable now. Are there any tvs out there that produce low emf and but enough light intensity to have a systemic benefits? Does it require skin exposure to absorb the light or can it be absorbed simply through my eyes with consistent exposure?

We have all heard that the eyes are windows to the soul.... If that were case (hypothetically speaking), then healing can also be done through the eyes and without the need for additional lighting arrays. Everybody owns a tv (or any device really) and can just set a background to color green and just mellow out looking at it for a while (or whatever color they feel drawn to). I noticed when I have green ambient lighting on and a green background on my tv (right now), I'm super calm... I wonder if this can be used to treat anxiety and mood disorders as well? Maybe you just need to focus on the screen and breathe and let the color/light do it's thing...
Green light does not penetrate into the skin as deeply as red light. I suspect that it travels through the vitreous humor of the eyes and reaches the rod and cones. I still do not know the physiology behind why it works.
PhotonSmart%2bWavelength%2bPenetration.jpg
blue-red-infrared-pic.jpg

The walls of the room that I use when working on my home computer are painted green. I painted them years ago. The green walls might have some effect, but wearing the green glasses is definitely more relaxing. I can still see all of the colors, but they are softer. It is a bit like using the e.flux app on my computer monitor which supresses the blue light.

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

Interesting. I remember reading this in the past, and even bought some green light bulbs, but never ended up putting them in. I've since abandoned green for the red light, which I bask in at night :)
I do not wear presciption eyeglasses; so for me it is easy. I do not consider red and green light to be mutually exclusive. They coexist in nature.

main-qimg-f9bc312e4d114e9e32a62714c36580aa

BRMarshall

When I bought a Sperti UV lamp, for vitamin D stimulation, the unit came with green swim goggles for eye protection!

Thanks for your contributions to these threads David PS !

Inaut

David, what do you think about a green picture or background on a screen? Care to test it out and see if you get similar results as glasses? I know glasses are just easier because you can put them on and forget about it

OP
David PS

David PS

When I bought a Sperti UV lamp, for vitamin D stimulation, the unit came with green swim goggles for eye protection!

Thanks for your contributions to these threads David PS !
hat_tip.gif

I have a Sperti UV lamp as well. I got it used and it did not come with goggles. I purchased goggles from Amazon that did not a little peep-hole for each eye and when I wear them it is a total blackout. I like it that way. Plastic lenses are probably sufficient to block the UV rays.
1671118746438.png
source

Sperti UV lamp emit a spectrum with a wavelength maximum at 260 nm. This wavelength is a tiny part of our natural solar spectrum and can be very damaging. I only shine this waavelnght on my back. The skin damage this truck driver received is frightening.

main-qimg-f9bc312e4d114e9e32a62714c36580aa
hhBDtWEl.png
source

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

David, what do you think about a green picture or background on a screen? Care to test it out and see if you get similar results as glasses? I know glasses are just easier because you can put them on and forget about it
I am happy with my green eyeglasses. My daily walks now have more green to them.

I live far enough north of the equator so that the ground outside is often snow-covered during the winter months. Currently, there is no snow but also there areno green leaves on the trees. Heretofore, I did not consider this to be any big deal. But now, I am wondering if the cummulative effect of not having sufficient green in the environment is related to the 'cabin fever' that people notice in March before the snow melts and the green leaves return.

Edit - This is what my experiment has evolved into.

Last edited:

Inaut

I am happy with my green eyeglasses. My daily walks now have more green to them.

I live far enough north of the equator so that the ground outside is often snow-covered during the winter months. Currently, there is no snow but also there areno green leaves on the trees. Heretofore, I did not consider this to be any big deal. But now, I am wondering if the cummulative effect of not having sufficient green in the environment is related to the 'cabin fever' that people notice in March before the snow melts and the green leaves return.
This is exactly what I was pondering yesterday as well. Sunlight accounts for a lot of health benefits but the green foliage may be energizing us and hence why green places have less depression and mental issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom