Ray Peat Interview Dr Ray Peat - Blood Tests, Hormones, Protein Intake, & Ray's Carb List - Jodellefit

I think this could be something lots of people have missed with regards to protein too. It tends to be seen as a universal good. One of the biggest positive impacts I've seen on my metabolism in the last 6 months is gradually lowering my protein intake. For many years, I was heavily into training and weight lifting, where we know protein dogma is engrained. It was a huge blindspot for me.
That Kinobody guy only eats like 140 g of protein. Protein over feeding is overrated

GreekDemiGod

Great interview. He is recommending carb to be 7 times the amount of protein. You can reduce protein or reduce fat so you can reach high amounts of sugar/carb in the diet. From personal experience, in the days I eat far more carb than protein I feel the best. I see the beauty in life clearly. In other words, I become optimistic.

According to Peat, gluten protein looks similar chemically to the protein found in some harmful insects outer layer? I don't understand that part.
That's a big difference than the 2:1 or 3:1 ratios thrown around the forum.
Is the 7:1 ratio to optimize longevity?

Care

Forum Supporter
I'm the same but not just with potatoes but any solanine food. It's a controversy but apples seem to have it and every time I try them again - pain. Definitely worth the avoidance.
Interesting, Birdie. Did not know about apples. But the potatoes-off since weekend after a 1.5 week try. Immediate improvement, including reduction of paint that appeared after eating potatoes then ceased when I stopped eating them.

-Luke-

I didn't understand it right, but in the discussion at the beginning about EMF, did Jodelle say she lives in a camper?

-Luke-

Wow, I think that's pretty cool. I thought about whether this could be an alternative a few weeks ago.

milk_lover

That's a big difference than the 2:1 or 3:1 ratios thrown around the forum.
Is the 7:1 ratio to optimize longevity?
He mentioned at that ratio, your thyroid functions optimally and you don't need to supplement as much thyroid. Better thyroid function means longer life.

Our biggest problem for the people who eat out a lot like myself is the freaking pufa everywhere. It's the number one thing that works against thyroid. Gluten comes second I think.

RPDiciple

I would really love more data on the lower protein he talks about here. He talked more in the danny roddy podcast but still

FrenchKiwi

Great interview. He is recommending carb to be 7 times the amount of protein. You can reduce protein or reduce fat so you can reach high amounts of sugar/carb in the diet. From personal experience, in the days I eat far more carb than protein I feel the best. I see the beauty in life clearly. In other words, I become optimistic.

According to Peat, gluten protein looks similar chemically to the protein found in some harmful insects outer layer? I don't understand that part.
What is your hunger like with less protein? I see a lot of people gaining weight on this approach, has this not happened to you?

OP
David PS

David PS

What is your hunger like with less protein? I see a lot of people gaining weight on this approach, has this not happened to you?
Not to answer your question but to add to your concerns. :D

I increased my protein by about 50% and I noticed that my bone weight/density slowly increased over several years. Monitoring bone weight can be done inexpensively.

FrenchKiwi

Not to answer your question but to add to your concerns. :D

I increased my protein by about 50% and I noticed that my bone weight/density slowly increased over several years. Monitoring bone weight can be done inexpensively.
So if I have severe osteoporosis at 45, a high protein diet could be beneficial? I don't know how to eat for bone health and the low protein soinds interesting, but maybe not for me?

OP
David PS

David PS

So if I have severe osteoporosis at 45, a high protein diet could be beneficial? I don't know how to eat for bone health and the low protein soinds interesting, but maybe not for me?
Possibly, I am currently 68+ and it continues to work for me. I used the scale for feedback. My adult son is my height and has a similar build. His bone weight is the same as mine; but he has more muscle than me.

My point is that going low protein could be changing your bone density in the wrong direction. And, if your not measuring, your not watching.

FrenchKiwi

Possibly, I am currently 68+ and it continues to work for me. I used the scale for feedback. My adult son is my height and has a similar build. His bone weight is the same as mine; but he has more muscle than me.

My point is that going low protein could be changing your bone density in the wrong direction. And, if your not measuring, your not watching.
I will definitely think about this. Thanks

FrenchKiwi

H

Have you mentioned anywhere what your diet looks like? I would love to know

OP
David PS

David PS

Have you mentioned anywhere what your diet looks like? I would love to know
Okay, but first I would like to mention that the old idea that "one size fits all" does not apply to the amount of protein in your diet.

I no longer track what I eat. I used Cronometer for a long time but stopped. I became disinterested in the details of my diet and I have not yet mentioned the details of my diet anywhere on the forum. At some point, I increased my protein from 80-90 grams per day to 120-140 grams or more per day. Everyday is different. I generally eat about equal amounts of fats and carbs.

From memory (no recent searching), protein (and perhaps collagen) forms the scaffolding in bone and various minerals cling to the scaffolding. Both the protein and minerals contribute to bone density. If you do not have enough protein in your diet, the body will scavenge the entire body and it will eventually remove protein from the bone to meet its more immediately pressing needs. Without the protein in the bone, the minerals have less scaffolding to cling to and bone density eventually drops. All this takes time.

A low protein diet is like playing with fire and you will get burned if you are not careful.

FrenchKiwi

Okay, but first I would like to mention that the old idea that "one size fits all" does not apply to the amount of protein in your diet.

I no longer track what I eat. I used Cronometer for a long time but stopped. I became disinterested in the details of my diet and I have not yet mentioned the details of my diet anywhere on the forum. At some point, I increased my protein from 80-90 grams per day to 120-140 grams or more per day. Everyday is different. I generally eat about equal amounts of fats and carbs.

From memory (no recent searching), protein (and perhaps collagen) forms the scaffolding in bone and various minerals cling to the scaffolding. Both the protein and minerals contribute to bone density. If you do not have enough protein in your diet, the body will scavenge the entire body and it will eventually remove protein from the bone to meet its more immediately pressing needs. Without the protein in the bone, the minerals have less scaffolding to cling to and bone density eventually drops. All this takes time.

A low protein diet is like playing with fire and you will get burned if you are not careful.
Thanks, I am going to continue eating the extra protein that I added after my osteoporosis diagnosis. I will also use my scale to see if there is any change because I have to wait 5 years to get another dexa scan. I sincerely hope that I can at least halt the osteoporosis and maybe even rebuild some bone density. Thanks for all your info

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals