Does anyone have experience with supplemental manganese?

allan442

Still on my quest to fix my libido. Second day taking 3-5mg manganese supplements and I currently have a semi-functioning libido for once. I think mineral supplementation could go wrong so I’m being cautious.. but I’ve never taken anything that brought back my libido like this. Been gone for 3+ years after I took testosterone and came off. It also made my sleep very deep, something I’m also unfamiliar with.

Is it possible they manganese raises estrogen? I know that spikes of estrogen can increase libido temporarily, and I doubt it’s raising androgens to any reasonable degree. Anyways, my testosterone levels are fine.

It’s effect is similar to how thiamine was when it worked. I’m burning carbs, feel like a furnace.

mostlylurking

Still on my quest to fix my libido. Second day taking 3-5mg manganese supplements and I currently have a semi-functioning libido for once. I think mineral supplementation could go wrong so I’m being cautious.. but I’ve never taken anything that brought back my libido like this. Been gone for 3+ years after I took testosterone and came off. It also made my sleep very deep, something I’m also unfamiliar with.

Is it possible they manganese raises estrogen? I know that spikes of estrogen can increase libido temporarily, and I doubt it’s raising androgens to any reasonable degree. Anyways, my testosterone levels are fine.

It’s effect is similar to how thiamine was when it worked. I’m burning carbs, feel like a furnace.
Too much manganese is problematic. Look into manganism . Evidently, I got myself into trouble by consuming too much maple syrup (a source for manganese). A blood test showed I had elevated levels of manganese. I really liked the maple syrup too (sob).

Too much manganese is problematic. Look into manganism . Evidently, I got myself into trouble by consuming too much maple syrup (a source for manganese). A blood test showed I had elevated levels of manganese. I really liked the maple syrup too (sob).
It’s massively ubiquitous in fruits as well. So you’re saying eating my main carbs from fruit can be a problem because of manganese? What symptoms did it cause for you?

mostlylurking

It’s massively ubiquitous in fruits as well. So you’re saying eating my main carbs from fruit can be a problem because of manganese? What symptoms did it cause for you?
It made me short tempered and mean as a snake. I'm a 72 year old little old lady and I attacked the manager of the grocery store because the orange juice display required me to climb into the display to reach the organic OJ. I just went postal on him. I was in pain because I had torn something in my shoulder but that's no excuse for attacking a total stranger. My husband had been tippytoeing around for weeks but I didn't understand it was because I'd gotten so snappy.

Anyhow, the doctor tested my manganese level because high dose thiamine is supposed to maybe cause a manganese deficiency but I had solved that problem with the maple syrup.

I really don't think eating lots of fruit would cause an overload of manganese. I actually don't know for sure if my overload of manganese came from the maple syrup. It could have come from the same event that gave me lead poisoning in 2009. But if I'd been that mean for that long somebody would have surely put me out of my misery.

OP
A

allan442

Strange, manganese is calming me. My poor sense of taste and smell has improved. Today I noticed the smell of laundry detergent, which normally I can’t smell at all

Elie

Forum Supporter
Doesn't manganese suppose to help fix connective tissue issues - arthritis, tendon tears etc.?

Dave Clark

I don't understand all the negative talk on manganese, unless you are over supplementing it, or consuming some food extremely high in it:

It made me short tempered and mean as a snake. I'm a 72 year old little old lady and I attacked the manager of the grocery store because the orange juice display required me to climb into the display to reach the organic OJ. I just went postal on him. I was in pain because I had torn something in my shoulder but that's no excuse for attacking a total stranger. My husband had been tippytoeing around for weeks but I didn't understand it was because I'd gotten so snappy.

Anyhow, the doctor tested my manganese level because high dose thiamine is supposed to maybe cause a manganese deficiency but I had solved that problem with the maple syrup.

I really don't think eating lots of fruit would cause an overload of manganese. I actually don't know for sure if my overload of manganese came from the maple syrup. It could have come from the same event that gave me lead poisoning in 2009. But if I'd been that mean for that long somebody would have surely put me out of my misery.
It seems to me maybe you need to simplify things and drop the supplements and try again at another point to see how they affect you. Maple syrup isn’t that loaded with manganese. But even drop the syrup and then try it again later. Who knows maybe you can’t handle the sugar and are getting blood sugar swings and then becoming moody from that.

mostlylurking

It seems to me maybe you need to simplify things and drop the supplements and try again at another point to see how they affect you. Maple syrup isn’t that loaded with manganese. But even drop the syrup and then try it again later. Who knows maybe you can’t handle the sugar and are getting blood sugar swings and then becoming moody from that.
Thanks for your concern. I'm doing quite well actually. I'm pretty in touch with what's going on with my body and what I can and cannot tolerate. I do consume orange juice and a little sugar in my milk with no negative side effects.

It wasn't the sugar that caused the problem. The blood test showed elevated manganese. The only source for manganese I had was the maple syrup as I haven't been exposed to heavy metals since 2011, my well water is not contaminated, I don't weld, and I'm very careful to avoid heavy metal exposure. I have had multiple issues with heavy metal poisoning in my lifetime and have been chelated with EDTA via IV multiple times. I'm not touting how wonderful chelation is. But sometimes it is life saving if you are really in trouble.

Cutting out the maple syrup resolved the negative symptoms I had.

Krigeren

What supplement did you use? I ask as I've read that absorption of most manganese supplements can be problematic (even w/o digestive problems). I'd like to try it and see the effect it has on elevated blood sugar. Thanks

Fenrir67

You are not supposed to supplement you with a micronutrient like manganese except to balance excess iron ,after heavy glyphosate exposure or if your diet is only cornstarch with meat also taking into account its significant presence in foods/water and the weak dose the body need you can quickly become toxic

TheSir

I'm taking 20mg / day as part of a mineral balancing program. It's like rocket fuel for energy & libido. The way @mostlylurking reacted to manganese sounds possible, in the past when the science of mineral balancing was new people were given much higher doses of manganese in order to fix their low cellular na/k ratio and some drastic reactions were seen. For example, there is a report of someone throwing kitchenware at her mother after she had made a casual comment about their appearance. A hair analysis showed that their na/k ratio had increased from very low to very high (0.4->10), translating to an enormous increase in metabolic energy and an explosion of repressed anger.

mostlylurking

I'm taking 20mg / day as part of a mineral balancing program. It's like rocket fuel for energy & libido. The way @mostlylurking reacted to manganese sounds possible, in the past when the science of mineral balancing was new people were given much higher doses of manganese in order to fix their low cellular na/k ratio and some drastic reactions were seen. For example, there is a report of someone throwing kitchenware at her mother after she had made a casual comment about their appearance. A hair analysis showed that their na/k ratio had increased from very low to very high (0.4->10), translating to an enormous increase in metabolic energy and an explosion of repressed anger.
This article might explain some things: Office of Dietary Supplements - Manganese

"Health Risks from Excessive Manganese

No evidence shows manganese toxicity from high dietary manganese intakes [38]. However, manganese toxicity has occurred in people working in such occupations as welding and mining who were exposed to high amounts of manganese from chronic inhalation of manganese dust [1,39]. People who consume water containing high levels of manganese (in some cases as high as 28 mg/L) have also developed manganese toxicity [4,40].

Manganese toxicity mainly affects the central nervous system and can cause tremors, muscle spasms, tinnitus, hearing loss, and the feeling of being unsteady on one’s feet [1,2]. Additional symptoms include mania, insomnia, depression, delusions, anorexia, headaches, irritability, lower extremity weakness, changes in mood and short-term memory, altered reaction times, and reduced hand-eye coordination [1,39]. These signs and symptoms can progress to neuromotor impairments similar to those associated with Parkinson’s disease, including changes in gait and balance, tremor, and rigidity [1,4].

Iron deficiency increases manganese absorption and can therefore exacerbate symptoms of manganese toxicity [2]. People with chronic liver disease have impaired manganese elimination in bile and are more susceptible to manganese neurotoxicity and other adverse effects of excess manganese intakes [4]."

mostlylurking

Do you think these might have played part in your anger issues/manganese excess?
I think I was exposed to manganese dust in 2010 when cleaning up my deceased brother's workroom. He committed suicide in 2009 because he had "damaged his brain". This was also when I got the lead poisoning (diagnosed 2014). The man helping me clean out my brother's workroom also became very ill. There was lots of old dust in that room. My brother spent time there dissolving antique pot metal jewelry in acid; an alchemy experiment I think. My anger issue surfaced in 2020 after my liver was compromised via Bactrim antibiotic which blocked my thiamine function. The liver needs thiamine to do its job. An MRI in September of 2020 revealed issues with fatty liver and a lesion on my pancreas. So I was supplementing maple syrup for the manganese while having a compromised liver and probably carrying a toxic load of manganese from that workroom cleanup. Blood tests in early 2021 revealed the manganese issue. I've pretty much recovered now.

Krigeren

What supplement did you use if I may ask?

I just watched a video regarding manganese toxicity and that particular presenter (I cannot recall who, watched quite a few today) said that he could not find literature or case reports of toxicity from supplements (only environmental). That said of course someone who suspects they have manganism or other heavy metal poisoning should probably avoid supplementing or getting large amounts from food. I myself want to try it to see if there are any positive effects for high fasting blood glucose. It makes sense to me given my circumstances and lifestyle that I may well be deficient in this mineral.

Thanks.

mostlylurking

I myself want to try it to see if there are any positive effects for high fasting blood glucose.
Have you looked into thiamine supplementation? Thiamine is required to utilize glucose for cellular energy. Improving metabolic oxidation lowers blood sugar by utilizing the sugar for energy.

Niacinamide is also very helpful because it lowers the level of free fatty acids in the blood. If free fatty acids are high then the cells cannot burn glucose. Refer to the Randle Effect.
“Suppressing fatty acid oxidation improves the contraction of the heart muscle and increases the efficiency of oxygen use (Chandler, et al., 2003). Various drugs are being considered for that purpose, but niacinamide is already body used to improve heart function, since it lowers the concentration of free fatty acids.”

"Randle effect: The inhibition of the oxidation of glucose by an excess of fatty acids. This lowers metabolic efficiency. Estrogen promotes this effect."

TheSir

I think I was exposed to manganese dust in 2010 when cleaning up my deceased brother's workroom. He committed suicide in 2009 because he had "damaged his brain". This was also when I got the lead poisoning (diagnosed 2014). The man helping me clean out my brother's workroom also became very ill. There was lots of old dust in that room. My brother spent time there dissolving antique pot metal jewelry in acid; an alchemy experiment I think. My anger issue surfaced in 2020 after my liver was compromised via Bactrim antibiotic which blocked my thiamine function. The liver needs thiamine to do its job. An MRI in September of 2020 revealed issues with fatty liver and a lesion on my pancreas. So I was supplementing maple syrup for the manganese while having a compromised liver and probably carrying a toxic load of manganese from that workroom cleanup. Blood tests in early 2021 revealed the manganese issue. I've pretty much recovered now.
Ah, wow. You've been through a lot. I was coincidentally just reading your posts regarding thiamine & cfs in an older thread yesterday and was wondering if you had ever tried IR heat lamp therapy since it's a powerful way of detoxing heavy metals. I can send you an interesting short book about it if you're interested

What supplement did you use if I may ask?

I just watched a video regarding manganese toxicity and that particular presenter (I cannot recall who, watched quite a few today) said that he could not find literature or case reports of toxicity from supplements (only environmental). That said of course someone who suspects they have manganism or other heavy metal poisoning should probably avoid supplementing or getting large amounts from food. I myself want to try it to see if there are any positive effects for high fasting blood glucose. It makes sense to me given my circumstances and lifestyle that I may well be deficient in this mineral.

Thanks.
I use a supplement called Limcomin. It has zinc, manganese and copper in a specific ratio and it's only meant to be taken for low na/k ratio.

Yeah manganese toxicity comes from biounavailable manganese. Most people are toxic in biounavailable forms to varying degrees. Being deficient in bioavailable manganese is common too. Often these coexist in the same person, as is the case for me.

Krigeren

Thank you @TheSir.

@mostlylurking, thanks for the info. I have tried quite a few things; among those discussed on this forum frequently has been high-dose aspirin, high-dose niacinamide + taurine, and a few of the different forms of thiamine + supporting B vitamins as well. None of them have really made a dent. Prior to that, I went for years low-carb + strenuous exercise to keep BG "under control". That probably damaged my glucose metabolism even more in the long-run, especially given my ancestry and the problems they've had with the issue.

I'm now moving toward the RP style of eating as it just makes too much sense, and am trying to avoid going low-carb again in order to control BG w/o drugs.

I believe that besides PUFA poisoning I may be missing some X-Factor(s) that have been depleted thru years of the SAD diet + years of low-carb. I have not given mineral supplementation a fair shot, and haven't tried Manganese at all, so am looking for an effective manganese supplement to take along with a "multi-mineral" type supplement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals