Black coffee digests best

I've had at least 1 cup of coffee for like, 97% of my waking days for the last 6 years. Tried every combination imaginable. Different food pairings, supplements, varied brewing methods, fasted stomach, occupied stomach, altering the timings of any variables... dozens and dozens of hypotheses on the mysterious coffee seed.

...and with all of the experimentation to date, I'm finally settling on the Occam's razor approach to coffee... which stands on the same principle applied to any other food: consuming a food by itself will yield the least digestive complication.

[that's all]

Thoughts?

Risingfire

I've had at least 1 cup of coffee for like, 97% of my waking days for the last 6 years. Tried every combination imaginable. Different food pairings, supplements, varied brewing methods, fasted stomach, occupied stomach, altering the timings of any variables... dozens and dozens of hypotheses on the mysterious coffee seed.

...and with all of the experimentation to date, I'm finally settling on the Occam's razor approach to coffee... which stands on the same principle applied to any other food: consuming a food by itself will yield the least digestive complication.

[that's all]

Thoughts?
If something is giving you digestive trouble, stop consuming it

EvanHinkle

I’m not sure this is “anti-Peat” per se, but I see why you tagged it as such.

As far as I know Peat’s recommendation of milk or other additives to coffee were to mitigate stress, (specifically cortisol or adrenaline). If you have adequate glycogen stores and decent liver function it’s possible, (at least for me and some others I know personally) to not get a stress response from as much as a double espresso, (even on an empty stomach).

So, like with anything, context is vitally important.

BeanSprouts

Coffee with stuff added to it always feels like... coffee with stuff added to it. If I put sugar in it, the coffee turns into a schizophrenic sweet-and-sour gritty mess, and milk just waters it down, especially since usually the milk is cold. It's like a steak with ketchup on it to me; just leave it alone. If you need a bunch of stuff in it, I think it's how you're making it because Mr. Coffee drip machine coffee and instant coffee are inedible to me.

I do like warm, foamy cream with it, but it's too much of a hassle.

Kyle970

Just cinnamon or cardamom here, seems to balance.
I never ad fat to coffee anymore. I think the bulletproof/butter/mct finished off an already abused gut for me.
That Cobalamin Tonic does sound fun though.

GreekDemiGod

Coffee with stuff added to it always feels like... coffee with stuff added to it. If I put sugar in it, the coffee turns into a schizophrenic sweet-and-sour gritty mess, and milk just waters it down, especially since usually the milk is cold. It's like a steak with ketchup on it to me; just leave it alone. If you need a bunch of stuff in it, I think it's how you're making it because Mr. Coffee drip machine coffee and instant coffee are inedible to me.

I do like warm, foamy cream with it, but it's too much of a hassle.
What if one realises he doesn’t really like coffee by itself?

Frankdee20

These days, I use simple pour over method for filtered coffee. I grew up in a Sicilian household and still use my stainless steel stovetop Moka pot for unfiltered finely ground esspresso. If you use high quality arabica and robusta blends, no need to add anything

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Twohandsondeck, it sure does. When I’m on coffee it’s always been black for about the last 5 years. I prefer it that way tbh.

GTW

I roast coffee for my own consumption.
Coconut butter aka creamed coconut is solid at room temperature. I chew a small chunk after a sip or two of coffee.
Seems to help avoid caffeine excess symptoms.

youngsinatra

I love the taste of black coffee, too.

I cannot drink it when there is sugar or milk in it.
I think that sugar/milk destroy all the distinct flavors that you get from good coffee beans, making coffee taste pretty bland.

Experimenting with different beans and different roasts is fun.
The light-roasted ones have a more flavorful profile and that’s one of the reasons that most coffee enthusiasts use light roasts, at least from my experience and observation. It taste way more fruity. I love mixing dark and light roast in a pourover.

Okay, enough for now. I must sound like one of these freakin‘ coffee enthusiast, haha.

EvanHinkle

I love the taste of black coffee, too.

I cannot drink it when there is sugar or milk in it.
I think that sugar/milk destroy all the distinct flavors that you get from good coffee beans, making coffee taste pretty bland.

Experimenting with different beans and different roasts is fun.
The light-roasted ones have a more flavorful profile and that’s one of the reasons that most coffee enthusiasts use light roasts, at least from my experience and observation. It taste way more fruity. I love mixing dark and light roast in a pourover.

Okay, enough for now. I must sound like one of these freakin‘ coffee enthusiast, haha.
Yes! Light roast all the way baby! I’ve never understood the mass appeal of darker roasts, (but it’s probably just personal preference on my part).

Dapose

Forum Supporter
Drinking coffee only one way makes no sense to me. It’s like going to a park and walking on the sidewalk that goes around the park for a walk. Yeah you can do that. And most of the people that go to the park do that. But… you can walk Any way through the park your creative little mind wants to walk!
I enjoy black coffee. I enjoy milk, half n half, one sugar, 4 sugar. Maple syrup sometimes. Other times some chocolate collagen! Sometimes I put a bag of Pau D’arco tea in my coffee!!! Watch out people! Live it up! Go with what your feeling. Break the routine for different effect! It’s crazy!

OP
Twohandsondeck
Drinking coffee only one way makes no sense to me. It’s like going to a park and walking on the sidewalk that goes around the park for a walk. Yeah you can do that. And most of the people that go to the park do that. But… you can walk Any way through the park your creative little mind wants to walk!
I enjoy black coffee. I enjoy milk, half n half, one sugar, 4 sugar. Maple syrup sometimes. Other times some chocolate collagen! Sometimes I put a bag of Pau D’arco tea in my coffee!!! Watch out people! Live it up! Go with what your feeling. Break the routine for different effect! It’s crazy!
That's great, but which one digests the best?

Dapose

Forum Supporter
That's great, but which one digests the best?

Your body mouth gut digestive system is not a piece of hardware. It’s not a machine that can only digest coffee from Brazil not Africa, and milk from A2 cows and not A1 cows. And this sugar not that sugar. You just have to pick things that you think will work out based on good info. And when it digests well, you repeat until it doesn’t. Because, almost everything available to us for consumption anymore is very compromised. Not ideal. And we are all dodging toxins in our foods left and right. So keep picking new things to try. It is fundamentally impossible to say one way digests best. Because you always are coming from a place of needing different things. Morning coffee vs a cup after dinner etc. is fundamentally a different choice. And shouldn’t be the exact same beverage.
I’m suggesting that trying to make your coffee or diet one way might be contributing to your digestive problems.
Nature loves complexity and variation.
Peace!

OP
Twohandsondeck
I’m suggesting that trying to make your coffee or diet one way might be contributing to your digestive problems.
Brilliant ! :???:

But which preparation of coffee digests best for you? It's not all of them.

Unless you suppose coffee with tree bark and cement added in might digest better than black coffee alone.

I understand the 'anything is possible' approach you're putting forward... because I also share that approach and after a great many coffee alterations, I've found that coffee by itself digests the best, hence the reason for this post.

You've come to say that there is yet an undiscovered combination of a preparation of coffee & timing of consumption that is dependent on my bioindividuality at a given moment in time that could digest more efficiently than when coffee is taken by itself?

If that's the case, I have a house on the moon to sell you. It's not operational yet, but you never know when we might be able to live in it!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals