Asthma And Health Much Worse After Relocating (VA-CO)

AsthmaSucks

26 year old male with hypothyroidism (hashimoto's), medicated, and Asthma. Moved to Fort Collins from North Virginia last month to escape the humidity, mold and heat of Virginia. And my health is sadly, now even worse. I am sleeping alot, coughing up green phlegm for the past week that has not improved with antibiotics . I have been here since February 20th. I still feel lethargic at times and am not getting as much as I want done with my days. I expected my asthma here to improve. But it feels like I have (HAPE) High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema or something. I check Air index quality and ozone and pollution in the Fort Collins area are out of control. Im such an idiot for moving here. I should have moved to Phoenix or Tuscon Arizona instead. I don't know if its the altitude, cold weather, Ozone/pollution or what but my health has taken a huge nosedive. I read all of ray peats studies on altitude and the positive effects. But im suffering now more then ever and feel like such a moron for coming here.

What should I do from this point on?

Arnold Grape

I would examine your diet and work to improve gut health. Also I would start vitamin d right away. If you are really desperate, something like pregnenolone/ DHEA should get you breathing better right away, sans breathing medication. -$0.02

OP
A

AsthmaSucks

Currently taking the following medications:
Levothyroxine 125 MCG daily
Liothyronine Sodium 10 MCG daily
Testosterone Cypionate 200 mg weekly

Supplements:
Source Natural Pregnenolone 50 mg
Vitamin D (10,000 IU daily) + Vit K MK7
Now foods probiotic ( just finished a round of Amoxicillin)
Taurine 5g daily

I am suspecting I have issues with testosterone replacement therapy. I did not have access to my testosterone medications for the first two weeks and immediately after my injection yesterday my sleep quality and energy levels went way down, AFTER injecting.
Have also noticed that my TSH goes up to 30 on TRT, however FREE T4/T3 values remain unchanged. .

I may be quitting TRT as a I currently have a stash of clomid and tamoxifen from one of my previous doctors. It appears that something in my physiology is unable to handle the injections. What part im not sure. Perhaps elevated estrogen is blocking my thyroid medications action on some level. Perhaps my liver functioning is impaired.
Waist ballooned up on TRT from 32 inches to 42. Rest is muscle, all fat is stored on waist.

I go to the gym 7 times a week and lift weights for 2 hours a day. Initially when I first came to Colorado the quality of my workouts was insane - perhaps due to the lactate paradox ray peat mentions in one of his articles on altitude. However, a week in I developed a very bad cough that has been severely limiting my ability to excercise. I have been coughing up green phlegm and suspected a bacterial infection.

It seems I will have to put my financial and mental well being ahead of the pursuit of muscle mass. I have gone up from 168 lbs at 5'9 to 205 lbs in 2 years. Sadly, my sleep and mental energy have went to ***t. Suspect sleep apnea as well due to a 17.5 inch neck.

I have noticed that modafinil alleviates my fatigue and ADHD and allows me to get work done , but also weakens my immune system and leaves me quite depressed. Alas, it seems I may be dependent on it for a while as my body adjusts to the altitude up here.

Beastmode

Only advice would be to email Peat directly.

At your age being on TRT and all that you're experiencing, you're headed for some potentially harmful things in your health. TSH levels that high can be very harmful.

alywest

I would look into carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. Possibly acetazolamide but also famotidine and thiamine (1,500mg) are carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (look up the threads posted by haidut). I moved to Tucson and was having serious issues even at this elevation until I took a course of acetazolamide. I started to have joint pain and stopped the acetazolamide, but the benefits lasted while the joint pain went away. I no longer get migraines. Also progesterone is very helpful for being at higher altitudes. You didn't mention the brand of liothyronine you use, but I found that the Mexican brand triyotek is really good, and so is cynomel. I take a few granules of triyotek and that goes a long way. They are in capsules that open easily. The American generic brands of liothyronine do not cut the mustard. They suck.

skycop00

Currently taking the following medications:
Levothyroxine 125 MCG daily
Liothyronine Sodium 10 MCG daily
Testosterone Cypionate 200 mg weekly

Supplements:
Source Natural Pregnenolone 50 mg
Vitamin D (10,000 IU daily) + Vit K MK7
Now foods probiotic ( just finished a round of Amoxicillin)
Taurine 5g daily

I am suspecting I have issues with testosterone replacement therapy. I did not have access to my testosterone medications for the first two weeks and immediately after my injection yesterday my sleep quality and energy levels went way down, AFTER injecting.
Have also noticed that my TSH goes up to 30 on TRT, however FREE T4/T3 values remain unchanged. .

I may be quitting TRT as a I currently have a stash of clomid and tamoxifen from one of my previous doctors. It appears that something in my physiology is unable to handle the injections. What part im not sure. Perhaps elevated estrogen is blocking my thyroid medications action on some level. Perhaps my liver functioning is impaired.
Waist ballooned up on TRT from 32 inches to 42. Rest is muscle, all fat is stored on waist.

I go to the gym 7 times a week and lift weights for 2 hours a day. Initially when I first came to Colorado the quality of my workouts was insane - perhaps due to the lactate paradox ray peat mentions in one of his articles on altitude. However, a week in I developed a very bad cough that has been severely limiting my ability to excercise. I have been coughing up green phlegm and suspected a bacterial infection.

It seems I will have to put my financial and mental well being ahead of the pursuit of muscle mass. I have gone up from 168 lbs at 5'9 to 205 lbs in 2 years. Sadly, my sleep and mental energy have went to ***t. Suspect sleep apnea as well due to a 17.5 inch neck.

I have noticed that modafinil alleviates my fatigue and ADHD and allows me to get work done , but also weakens my immune system and leaves me quite depressed. Alas, it seems I may be dependent on it for a while as my body adjusts to the altitude up here.
You may have a protocol for TRT that is woefully lacking. I highly recommend 2x daily transcrotal application! See study: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/andr.12357

26 year old male with hypothyroidism (hashimoto's), medicated, and Asthma. Moved to Fort Collins from North Virginia last month to escape the humidity, mold and heat of Virginia. And my health is sadly, now even worse. I am sleeping alot, coughing up green phlegm for the past week that has not improved with antibiotics . I have been here since February 20th. I still feel lethargic at times and am not getting as much as I want done with my days. I expected my asthma here to improve. But it feels like I have (HAPE) High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema or something. I check Air index quality and ozone and pollution in the Fort Collins area are out of control. Im such an idiot for moving here. I should have moved to Phoenix or Tuscon Arizona instead. I don't know if its the altitude, cold weather, Ozone/pollution or what but my health has taken a huge nosedive. I read all of ray peats studies on altitude and the positive effects. But im suffering now more then ever and feel like such a moron for coming here.

I have moved many times between really different climates and I frequently will have trouble or get sick at first. Our bodies adapt to where we live so a big change just takes some getting used to. Also living at altitude definitely can take a bit to adjust to it maybe a month or two. Altitude can be very drying which can irritate asthmatic lungs. Make sure you are well hydrated. Eventually I would think that living at altitude will be good for your health but it is a big change. I live at altitude now and love it. And BTW Phoenix is crazy polluted so that would probably not have been any better.

I agree with the thiamine recommendation, 1500mg per day, as a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor

Cyproheptadine could be helpful. You may be responding to airborne allergens that your body is not accustomed to.

You are only taking a tiny amount of T3. Why not 3:21 T4:T3? Are you using temperatures and heart rate to determine your T3 dosages? I would do that. Ironically you are in Broda Barnes’ home state and he is still the authority on thyroid dosing even though he is deceased.

LUH 3417

I had really bad shortness of breath when I traveled to Taos New Mexico. I got a really bad cold and coughed up so much phlegm. After that the asthma disappeared and I felt a lot better. Maybe it is transient and you need to acclimate.

InChristAlone

You could try some Diamox. I couldn't write down everything it does but it's been recommended for people acclimating to high altitude.

I had really bad shortness of breath when I traveled to Taos New Mexico. I got a really bad cold and coughed up so much phlegm. After that the asthma disappeared and I felt a lot better. Maybe it is transient and you need to acclimate.
You live in Taos? I'm relocating there dor my health soon

alywest

If you have allergies or asthma or both try a salt pipe. Best thing I've ever gotten for my allergies, hands down and only about $15. I've been able to stop using my inhaler, allergy pills, etc. Plus my nasal passages don't constantly feel irritated like they used to. I hate taking antihistamines because they make me feel like a zombie, and the otc stuff like zyrtec is supposed to be bad for your liver. Spraying steroids in my nose just sounds terrible so I stopped doing that a while ago although it probably was the most helpful, but no matter what I took I would still wake up daily feeling like my entire face and throat and inside of my nose was horrendously itchy and my eyes would get so red and watery and sometimes actually puff up. Try the salt pipe. It will change your life.

rei

Injectable steroids should be avoided, ask your doctor to change it for for testosterone skin cream.

Regina

If you have allergies or asthma or both try a salt pipe. Best thing I've ever gotten for my allergies, hands down and only about $15. I've been able to stop using my inhaler, allergy pills, etc. Plus my nasal passages don't constantly feel irritated like they used to. I hate taking antihistamines because they make me feel like a zombie, and the otc stuff like zyrtec is supposed to be bad for your liver. Spraying steroids in my nose just sounds terrible so I stopped doing that a while ago although it probably was the most helpful, but no matter what I took I would still wake up daily feeling like my entire face and throat and inside of my nose was horrendously itchy and my eyes would get so red and watery and sometimes actually puff up. Try the salt pipe. It will change your life.
Cool! Which salt pipe do you use? Thx

This is very easy to fix.

You can visit normalbreathing.com to learn some simple breathing exercises. Bag breathing can help also. It doesn’t take much to raise your Buteyko control pause enough to get rid of asthma.

alywest

Cool! Which salt pipe do you use? Thx
Mockins (you even have a choice in colors! ) The only thing I was not sure of is if it would be better to swap out the pink himalayan salt they provide with the salt pipe with pickling salt. I'm using the pink salt but when I need a refill I'll probably get pickling or kosher or just white sea salt from the grocery store.

Regina

Mockins (you even have a choice in colors! ) The only thing I was not sure of is if it would be better to swap out the pink himalayan salt they provide with the salt pipe with pickling salt. I'm using the pink salt but when I need a refill I'll probably get pickling or kosher or just white sea salt from the grocery store.
Love it! Yea, I would probably swap out the pink salt too.
Thx!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals