The Woke Meritocracy

Hugh Johnson

By the time they come into my yearlong great-books-style seminar, “Self, Culture, and Society,” they have been through more than a decade of evaluations that compare them to peers through supposedly objective (and therefore, uncriticizable) measures of competence. They are ranked not so much by teachers as by rubrics and metrics, and they learn to see the world in terms of such individualizing but impersonal rankings.

I can only observe that every system of education aims, whether anyone acknowledges it or not, toward producing and privileging a certain human type, and that every society has an elite. Beyond the noisy conflict between defenders of meritocracy and their woke opponents, our society has chosen, and continues to choose, to educate its children with the apparent aim of making a class of leaders who are disconnected from any real solidarity to others but unable to think for themselves, combining the worst qualities of individualism and conformism. Students’ test scores and racial demographics dominate our public debates, but ultimately matter less than the implicit moral ideal towards our institutions teach them to aspire.

From what I hear Harvard and other Ivy League schools are full of idiots. Obedient, hard working idiots tbf

PxD

By the time they come into my yearlong great-books-style seminar, “Self, Culture, and Society,” they have been through more than a decade of evaluations that compare them to peers through supposedly objective (and therefore, uncriticizable) measures of competence. They are ranked not so much by teachers as by rubrics and metrics, and they learn to see the world in terms of such individualizing but impersonal rankings.

I can only observe that every system of education aims, whether anyone acknowledges it or not, toward producing and privileging a certain human type, and that every society has an elite. Beyond the noisy conflict between defenders of meritocracy and their woke opponents, our society has chosen, and continues to choose, to educate its children with the apparent aim of making a class of leaders who are disconnected from any real solidarity to others but unable to think for themselves, combining the worst qualities of individualism and conformism. Students’ test scores and racial demographics dominate our public debates, but ultimately matter less than the implicit moral ideal towards our institutions teach them to aspire.

From what I hear Harvard and other Ivy League schools are full of idiots. Obedient, hard working idiots tbf
I’ve worked with several such overeducated midwits with brand-name diplomas. Nassim Taleb has a great essay on this called “The Intellectual Yet Idiot”.

The IYI

Tim Lundeen

... I can only observe that every system of education aims, whether anyone acknowledges it or not, toward producing and privileging a certain human type...
Great article, thanks :):

Rick K

I consider myself an intellectual; albeit a conservative one. I never join groups or voice my opinion on social media. I simply live as I wish to and ignore all the rest; respecting their right to live as they wish. I raised my children to live by the golden rule in not just treating others as they wished to be treated but to also speak and think about others as they would wish for the same. I simply cannot abide by this fraudulent racist piss and moan session these groups seem to live for. I am an educated white male who paid for my own education and was given nothing (but grief) by my dysfunctional parents. I came to the States on a specialized knowledge visa (applied NIR spectroscopy) which I also earned for myself and made good money doing it before starting my own business. I never asked for privilege or favors and received none. I raised six kids (four of whom were stepchildren) and never received nor asked for any special financial consideration. White men have done their share of wretchedness but also have done their share of invention, creativity and compassion.
I cannot respect President Kennedy's words more: "Ask not what this country can do for you but what you can do for your country"' In my racist, privileged white view anybody who wants to piss and moan about how awful they have it should move somewhere else. I have been homeless and hungry at one point and if I could make it anyone else can also. To teach this racist, sexist fraud in school or anywhere is just a crime against humanity. Just my three cents worth.

Regina

I consider myself an intellectual; albeit a conservative one. I never join groups or voice my opinion on social media. I simply live as I wish to and ignore all the rest; respecting their right to live as they wish. I raised my children to live by the golden rule in not just treating others as they wished to be treated but to also speak and think about others as they would wish for the same. I simply cannot abide by this fraudulent racist piss and moan session these groups seem to live for. I am an educated white male who paid for my own education and was given nothing (but grief) by my dysfunctional parents. I came to the States on a specialized knowledge visa (applied NIR spectroscopy) which I also earned for myself and made good money doing it before starting my own business. I never asked for privilege or favors and received none. I raised six kids (four of whom were stepchildren) and never received nor asked for any special financial consideration. White men have done their share of wretchedness but also have done their share of invention, creativity and compassion.
I cannot respect President Kennedy's words more: "Ask not what this country can do for you but what you can do for your country"' In my racist, privileged white view anybody who wants to piss and moan about how awful they have it should move somewhere else. I have been homeless and hungry at one point and if I could make it anyone else can also. To teach this racist, sexist fraud in school or anywhere is just a crime against humanity. Just my three cents worth.
It seems to be part of the deliberate take down of the US.
But well done on your life!

lampofred

It's senseless backward logic meant to destroy everything. The ones who are actually destroying everything think that they are doing right and that anyone who is rich is an oppressor, simply because they feel threatened by wealth & not because they are actually being oppressed. But I think the only way to fix it is to forgive them and not retaliate, like how a cow even if it's fed utter garbage doesn't give out the same garbage but instead transforms it into life-sustaining milk. Because the average "woke" person isn't doing it on purpose, their minds were poisoned in myriads of ways by extremely intelligent & powerful forces.

OP
Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson

It's senseless backward logic meant to destroy everything. The ones who are actually destroying everything think that they are doing right and that anyone who is rich is an oppressor, simply because they feel threatened by wealth & not because they are actually being oppressed. But I think the only way to fix it is to forgive them and not retaliate, like how a cow even if it's fed utter garbage doesn't give out the same garbage but instead transforms it into life-sustaining milk. Because the average "woke" person isn't doing it on purpose, their minds were poisoned in myriads of ways by extremely intelligent & powerful forces.
If you read the article you would know they are doing this to compete for social status. These are luxury beliefs meant to separate the ruling class and their servants from the rest.

Rick K

It seems to be part of the deliberate take down of the US.
But well done on your life!
Than you, Regina. Hopefully I don't come across as tooting my own horn. I've accomplished what I wanted to because I was willing to take risks. As I am no greater nor less than anyone else I know everyone can become accomplished. Fear holds people back and then the ego lashes out at those who leave the crowd. We all bleed the same color which makes us all the same. People who attack others live in fear that they are less than others. Simply not possible but they can sure put on a good show trying to prove it.

Rick K

You are so correct about forgiveness. Forgiveness simply doesn't allow the hurt others try to foist upon you stick. The way we behave is indicative of who we are and not the one we are directing it to. There are different levels on unconsciousness and society, in general, seems to be spiraling deeper into it. This covid nonsense and the plan behind it is very deep psychoses. Reacting to anyone or anything is an unconscious act and only makes you a part of it instead of being able to remain detached and calm.

Jon2547

The US was rotten long before FDR took office.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom