Private vs public membership associations

LUH 3417

I listed to a podcast with Stephen usher recently on the topic of admiral vs merchant law and how to bypass federal laws using private membership associations. @tankasnowgod has made mentions of this topic in relation to seeking health care, conducting business, etc. I am posting this here as I find it very interesting and think it could be fertile ground for exchanges goods and services in an alternate economy

I used to purchase raw milk from an Amish farmer in Pennsylvania who would drive across state lines and sell his milk from coolers in a truck. This violated NYS law against selling raw milk anywhere besides a farm. The way the Amish farmer was able to bypass this law is by asking people who wished to purchase his milk to join his “buying club” for a fee of $20 and signing a contract to declare themselves a member of the farm club. This is an example of a private membership contract not being bound to a state law against purchasing raw milk.

Dr. B

I listed to a podcast with Stephen usher recently on the topic of admiral vs merchant law and how to bypass federal laws using private membership associations. @tankasnowgod has made mentions of this topic in relation to seeking health care, conducting business, etc. I am posting this here as I find it very interesting and think it could be fertile ground for exchanges goods and services in an alternate economy

I used to purchase raw milk from an Amish farmer in Pennsylvania who would drive across state lines and sell his milk from coolers in a truck. This violated NYS law against selling raw milk anywhere besides a farm. The way the Amish farmer was able to bypass this law is by asking people who wished to purchase his milk to join his “buying club” for a fee of $20 and signing a contract to declare themselves a member of the farm club. This is an example of a private membership contract not being bound to a state law against purchasing raw milk.

interesting which farm was that?
can private contracts be used to get around anything? like even selling drugs, hormones etc which would otherwise not be allowed to be sold?

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

interesting which farm was that?
can private contracts be used to get around anything? like even selling drugs, hormones etc which would otherwise not be allowed to be sold?
That’s what I’m wondering, on the podcast Usher mentioned areas in Texas that were prohibited from selling alcohol in any restaurant or bar but then there were small private clubs where alcohol was served because the people who frequented the club were “members”.

The farm was millersbiofarm.com

tankasnowgod

Awesome, and interesting that an Amish Farmer utilized this. I've heard a couple people say that the Amish understand freedom better than the vast majority of Americans, and this is a good example.

Technically, Costco is a "Private Membership Association." However, they are so large and may be taking advantage of enough instruments of interstate commerce to place them back into most government regulation. So, I don't think a PMA would protect someone from reselling medication they obtained from an overseas pharmacy, as an example.

The case of Evans vs. Newton is a good one to review, as it involved appointing government officials to administer a private trust. This is clearly a mistake, public and private don't mix.

K

Kayaker

@tankasnowgod It appears Uncle Sam demands tribute even for barter in LETS. There's essentially no difference between exchanging cash and your own currency. The difference is where the fruit of the labor ends up, and this makes the difference between community and globalism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom