Non-toxic Cookware

KateDownUnder

Does anyone have any recommendations for the least toxic cooking appliance that operates as a slow cooker as well?

I’ve been using a cheap slow cooker for easy postpartum meals from Kmart here in Australia and the surface is already rusting and degrading after only a few months of use!

I love the look of the Vitaclay cooker, unfortunately there are no stockists in Australia and they don’t make them for our power points either....

We are also looking at potentially getting an all in one style cooker like a Thermomix to save bench space. I contacted them and it seems it’s made with 18/10 (chromium to nickel) stainless steel. There’s another brand called the Froothie Thermocook that is 18/8. Ideally I’d love to have something that is 18/0 (no nickel) like my fry pan but they seem non existent. My husband suggested we just buy two bowls so that when one eventually scratches and degrades (which is the main issue with nickel potentially getting leached into food), we have another fresh bowl ready that fits the model of machine we bought (as they seem to upgrade models every year!)

Anyone’s thoughts?

freyasam

Does anyone have any recommendations for the least toxic cooking appliance that operates as a slow cooker as well?

I’ve been using a cheap slow cooker for easy postpartum meals from Kmart here in Australia and the surface is already rusting and degrading after only a few months of use!

I love the look of the Vitaclay cooker, unfortunately there are no stockists in Australia and they don’t make them for our power points either....

We are also looking at potentially getting an all in one style cooker like a Thermomix to save bench space. I contacted them and it seems it’s made with 18/10 (chromium to nickel) stainless steel. There’s another brand called the Froothie Thermocook that is 18/8. Ideally I’d love to have something that is 18/0 (no nickel) like my fry pan but they seem non existent. My husband suggested we just buy two bowls so that when one eventually scratches and degrades (which is the main issue with nickel potentially getting leached into food), we have another fresh bowl ready that fits the model of machine we bought (as they seem to upgrade models every year!)

Anyone’s thoughts?
I would love to find one as well. Did you source anything that's 18/0?

ScottyVP

Le Creuset is safe I think. It's cast iron but even what appears raw iron is actually enamelled.

rei

Nickel also enhances the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. Therefore, the higher the nickel content, the more resistant the stainless steel is to corrosion.
So why would you want 18/0 that leeches chromium and nickel into your food?

Then it is not proper stainless steel, or faulty manufacturing. I have once in my life encountered stainless that rusts, and it was kitchen utensils from ikea. I don't know the grade, and maybe it was some of the lowest ones that indeed can rust. But 304 306 or 316 never rust.

ddjd

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom