Combination of Rifaximin with PHGG more effective than Rifaximin alone in eradicating SIBO

Jamsey

Might seem obvious to some, but I thought I’d post it for the avid antibiotic users. It seems that partially hydrolyzed guar gum helps to shift microbiome during antibiotic treatment for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. This leads to eradication in a greater percentage of patients than antibiotics alone.

“Seventy-seven patients had SIBO. Eradication rate of SIBO was 62.1% in the rifaximin group (both on per-protocol and intention-to-treat analyses), and 87.1% (per-protocol, P=0.017) and 85.0% (intention-to-treat, P=0.036) in the rifaximin-plus-partially hydrolysed guar gum group.”

“Patients with a positive glucose breath test and predisposing conditions to SIBO entered into the study, and were randomized to receive rifaximin 1200 mg/day or rifaximin 1200 mg/day plus partially hydrolysed guar gum 5 g/day for 10 days.”

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Interesting.
I wish they had more than the small 77 patient sample size.
65% rifaximin vs 85% rifaximin+hydrolyzed-guar seems significant.
The SIBO eval and testing methods are also probably questionable.

They proceed to say that 86.9% and 91.1% is the actual clinical improvement. That seems a bit less significant, especially that the sample size is 77.

Interesting little study not sure about its implications.

OP
J

Jamsey

Interesting.
I wish they had more than the small 77 patient sample size.
65% rifaximin vs 85% rifaximin+hydrolyzed-guar seems significant.
The SIBO eval and testing methods are also probably questionable.

They proceed to say that 86.9% and 91.1% is the actual clinical improvement. That seems a bit less significant, especially that the sample size is 77.

Interesting little study not sure about its implications.
Yeah, it would be nice to have a larger sample size. As for the 86.9% and 91.1% values, the quote says “Clinical improvement was observed in 86.9% and 91.1% of eradicated cases in rifaximin and rifaximin-plus-partially hydrolysed guar gum groups respectively”, for which I would draw attention to the word eradicated. So, in the rifaximin group 86.9% of eradicated cases(62.1% of total group) showed clinical improvement. And I’m the rifaximin plus phgg group 91.1% of eradicated cases(87.1% of total group) showed clinical improvement. In other words, clinical improvement was observed in 53.96% and 79.35% of total cases in rifaximin and rifaximin-plus-partially hydrolysed guar gum groups respectively. As for implications, I think it points to supporting the growth of less harmful bacteria as an important step in the eradication of intestinal disease.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom