Thoughts on using piperine to enhance oral bioavailability of emodin?

Mitchell777

After researching emodin, I have learnt that the oral bioavailability seems to be very low. This seems to be due to extensive metabolism into its glucuronide form.

The study below which I will quote, suggests using piperine alongside emodin as a method to increase bioavailability, due to piperines property of inhibiting glucuronidation.

Obviously, I am not entirely sure if inhibiting glucuronidation is a side effect free process long term of if piperine is considered beneficial and relatively safe, as the process of glucuronidation is there for a reason, and using piperine to inhibit it, for the benefit of increasing emodin absorption, may be outweighed by the consequence of inhibiting glucuronidation in the first place.

I just wondered if anyone could chime in and pit their thoughts across? I know piperine is used almost always alongside turmeric to again increase absorption by the same mechanism I assume.

“In pharmacokinetic experiments, emodin was predominantly found in the liver and the brain after oral intake of P. cuspidatum (Lin et al., 2012). After intragastric administration at doses of 20 and 40 mg/kg, emodin rapidly underwent phase II metabolism to form its glucuronide, and the parent form of emodin was almost undetectable in vivo. Even when administered at higher dose (82.4 mg/kg), the in vivo emodin levels detected remained very low (Shia et al., 2010).”

“Moreover, Ma et al. was the first to demonstrate that 2,3,5,4'‐tetrahydroxystilbene‐2‐O‐β‐D‐glucoside (TSG) could inhibit the phase II metabolism of emodin in vivo through down‐regulation of the expression of UGT1A8 (Ma et al., 2013). A similar study showed that piperine significantly increased the Cmax and area under concentration‐time curve (AUC) of emodin and decreased the AUC and Cmax of emodin glucuronide.”
“Traditional oral administration would not be the best method of application of emodin because of poor intestinal absorption, fast elimination and low bioavailability in vivo. The pharmacokinetics of emodin could be improved by inhibiting its glucuronidation metabolism.”

@haidut

I wonder if you had any thoughts about emodin and its oral bioavailability when you formulated Lapodin? It would be interesting to know if you have specifically avoided piperine and also why and what your thoughts are regarding piperine as a compound in general, as it seems to be employed especially with turmeric.

Thank you!

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Excellent question. I hope we find answers.

I've been taking the product from Chemix Cortibloc (that's an Idelabs like name, lol)
It does have piperine and some undesirable ingredients, unfortunately, but seems like the best around in a pill.
Amazon doesn't sell direct Emodin supplements and I doubt the body will absorb a lot from Cascara.

The first week I lost 3 pounds and felt good with 1 pill a day. Over the subsequent weeks, the weight came back and I don't perceive anymore benefits from it.

With that said, it hasn't bothered my sensitive tummy. But the thought of inhibiting glucuronidation does not seem good. Perhaps it does it only locally at the absorption site?

GTW

As I understand piperine works as an efflux pump inhibitor. This can be related to intestinal absorption, BB barrier, and or cellular absorption.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals