Questions I Have About Body Temperature & Warmer Weather

lindsay

This may sound like a really silly question, but there are some things about a raised metabolism (and warm weather) that have perplexed me for quite some time. So I thought I would just ask.

First of all, if warmer weather and summer are so metabolically stimulating, then why do many people experience inflammation when it gets hot? I tend to feel more bloated, lethargic (when the weather is hot & humid) - especially if it's hot but I cannot sweat, and appetite sometimes decreases, or changes. I know I definitely "feel" better in spring and summer (less depressed), but only when it's not SUPER hot (like not above 90 F), but more comfortable. If heat is so good, we wouldn't stay inside in air conditioning and go swimming in pools. So is there a general level where warmer tropical weather is metabolically stifling? It's great for food growth - and all animals are stimulated by the sunlight - but heat seems to be something totally different. I would hate to have to live at 98 F temperatures every day in summer. So that's one question. I've always preferred being cooler because it's easy to get warm, not always easy to cool down. And I love how I feel after jumping into cold water - something about it really seems to reduce inflammation and water retention.

The other question is, along with the increase in body temperature for a better metabolism, also comes an environment that is better for bacteria & allergens to thrive (which is similar with the summer months and heat). As much as I love warmer weather, it usually means more allergens and for me, I've noticed I feel like I am constantly trying to keep bacteria at bay with the foods I eat, despite taking thyroid. Think about kids - though they have a better metabolic rate, they get sick often (this could be many factors though - like having to go to public schools). So is this purely an immune issue, or is it just the consequence of having a higher temperature and eating sweet foods - the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive?

I'm sure there is a very good scientific reason for all of this, but if you look at the regions of the world where bacteria & viruses tend to thrive - they are not exactly cold regions. Where I live currently, I find the hot weather very oppressive (it's just started getting really warm this week). When I go to Florida, at least I sweat and cool off - here it's just like uncomfortable heat and elevated pollution. 85 or less = tolerable. 90+ = flat out annoying, IMO. Of course, evening and morning are OK.

Obviously, I get the downside of low body temperature and have experienced many problems when I had lower body temps and reduced thyroid function. But I also see a few negative changes since improving thyroid function - mostly digestive related and trying to keep bacteria away.

Last edited:

Lecarpetron

I'd love to know the metabolic reasons for heat discomfort, too.

My N=1...stress hormones go through the roof in hot/humid weather. I prefer 20F to 90F.

emmanceb

Same here, the transition from cold to hot weather was difficult.

Ray says it takes very little metabolic energy to maintain a high body temperature in warm weather, and I think his explanation of the internal thermostat as influenced by certain stress hormones is involved in heat intolerance.

"Serotonin, melatonin, estrogen, and polyunsaturated fats all tend to lower body temperature. Since estrogen and the unsaturated fats are cellular excitants, the actual decrease in body temperature helps to offset their excitatory effects."

I think that it's not so easy for the body to dissipate heat in hot weather and so the excitatory effects of the stress hormones are more active.

Then there's frequent vasodilation as the body tries to cool, perhaps mediated by nitric oxide? Ray has mentioned that flushing can interfere with mitochondrial respiration...

Last edited:

johnsmith

For the people with cold winters: does anyone else notice they don't need as much thyroid supplementation in the summer?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks. Is this simply due to warmer environmental temperatures, or does sun exposure cause this?
I think it's the light. Peat has mentioned that even in Alaska where the temperature is cold peoples metabolism is improved during the season with more light.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
One of our long-term members @HDD lives in a tropical environment and I know in the past she has needed more thyroid in the winter despite it being warm. I'm not sure if she still needs more in the winter but maybe she will let us know.

HDD

I think it's the light. Peat has mentioned that even in Alaska where the temperature is cold peoples metabolism is improved during the season with more light.

I think you are correct @Blossom . I believe the sunlight increases progesterone which increases thyroid function. This reminds me of the birds in the city that nested year round from the city light exposure ( don’t recall the exact details). In Florida, our winters are mild and we still have abundant sunshine, but I still have more hypo symptoms. My neighbor has chickens that don’t lay eggs in the winter months. I think keeping warm helps with body temperature but I don’t think it’s the same as increased thyroid function from the longer daylight hours/light exposure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals