Prepper Q - which fold-out bed for use in basement?

minni

Hi guys, I'm not sure I'm posting this on the correct RayPeat forum (if so, how/where to re-route?)
...but anyway, first some background, then my Q. I have FMS, scoliosis, thoracic osteoarthritis plus many other back issues, CRPS, neuropathy, severe varicose, and lots more. In a nutshell, no thanks to the "one percent" who probably co-opted Med Bed tech, I'm a basket case, thus seeking the most affordable-comfortable fold-out bed, so that in the event of prolonged power outtages, I can comfortably keep cool in my creepy basement, rather than having to sweat upstairs. I'm best with a mattress on the softer side (I currently sleep on a Milliard 2-inch egg-crate memory-foam topper, used since June 2018, thus has been flattening out since I weight approx. 160.)

So, can anyone here with experience sleeping on fold-out cots and/or camping beds advise which of the below options may be a best bet for me to keep in my basement for emergency use? I.E. I'm assuming that those of you who have lots of past experience using such beds may be able to better guess at their sturdiness, safety and comfort, just by viewing them online. Because very often, reviewers who give either positive-or-negative reviews on Amazon can be speaking prematurely or else exaggerate/understate (or else omit that their kids used their beds as trampolines!) Not too much online is credible anymore, which is why I seek additional grassroots input.

Here's the choices I narrowed down:

(1) Coleman ComfortSmart Deluxe 80" x 31" x 15"h weight=22-lbs. no assembly
see: View: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-ComfortSmart-Deluxe-Camping-Cot/dp/B0073WJACW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
(I love lightweight as i'm an FMS shrimp BUT NOT if it compromises sturdiness/durability/permanence)

(2) Leisuit Rollaway 75" x 31" x 14"h weight=30-lbs. capacity 300-lbs. no assembly, 3" mem.foam mattress (perhaps odor issues & I'm chem.sensitive)
see: View: https://www.amazon.com/Leisuit-Rollaway-Guest-Bed-Fold/dp/B07CTJZGDS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
(no problem if no wheels, despite the mis-labelling of rollaway)

(3) LiteBed Single 75" x 32" x 17"h weight=28-lbs., capacity 350-lbs. no assembly
see: View: https://www.amazon.com/LiteBedTM-Folding-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B09HMZGQ3V/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1
The legs of LiteBed appear flimsy, but i'm only speculating on that.

(4) As for mattress-purchase, my Q is:
Assuming i'd buy a mem.foam mattress (for one of the potential beds forementioned), I wonder if the chem.odor of same is easy to dissipate - as well as if it can crumble the way mem.foam toppers eventually do?
Would it last better if it's stored in my damper basement? (I mean, I use a basement dehumidifier in the summer, but upstairs is ultra dry due to forced-air heat)
Note: I've kept in basement an old barely-used 1920s 33" poly mattress, and it's in quite good condition with no odor.

Finally I wish to add that online discussions veer on lots of tangents, such as to try this or that for damp basements or whatever. But here's the thing. I'm stuck in my circumstances, and I'm basically just trying to scrape by. So I really really can't act upon many advices, since I urgently wish to attend to priorities first.
Thus my above Qs are most priority for now. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom