Nac l cysteine

Michael Mohn

Is it safe to.take n actyl cysteine every day long term.

A lot of people are already too high in cysteine but isolated aminoacides have different actions than peptide bound aminoacides so taking NAC can have benefits. Taking enough glycine from foods is important.

OP
B

Brendan452

I took vitamin b5 and then accutane for acne.years later still struggling with hair loss dry lips and stomach distress.
I took cysteine for a month last year and it seemed to be the only 5hing I've tried that has given me some relief

Michael Mohn

I took vitamin b5 and then accutane for acne.years later still struggling with hair loss dry lips and stomach distress.
I took cysteine for a month last year and it seemed to be the only 5hing I've tried that has given me some relief
I think you should observe carefully how the benefits develop versus negative side effects. Glycine and gaba do oppose the excitatory effects of cystine. Maybe you can cycle NAC every month.

Since COVID I've been looking into abnormalities of blood and reduced blood circulation. One factor of hair loss can be reduced blood circulation to the hair follicles.
A lot of pro metabolic strategies (reducing estrogen/increase thyroid) don't seem to benefit people with balding / alopecia. This makes me think that there's a problem with reduced blood circulation in the small blood vessels and lack of nutrients for hair follicles.
There's a lot of things to improve blood circulation like avoiding aluminum and aluminum salts. Inversely potassium citrate does increase the zeta potential which increases blood volume and nutrient absorption. Sodium bicarbonate might help too. Then there are riskier interventions like edta infusion or heparin to neutralize antibodies due to infections, which can cause red blood cell agglutination. I think this strategies are more promising than NAC, b5 or accutane (!?).

@Michael Mohn So let me understand is NAC excitotoxic at least in the central and peripheral nervous system? I'm asking you because I've noticed worsening on the cognitive side... it's strange because it should help from glutamate toxicity.

OP
B

Brendan452

Thanks for the replies and information.is there anything in my body that could be off and stopping me absorbing or producing nac.
Because I should definitely be covered by my diet thanks

It helps with excess glutamate but also has direct anti-thyroid action and like most antioxidants, it can induce reductive stress (a very bad thing according to Peat). If you find that you get benefits from it, consider getting some extra Glycine to balance out the anti-thyroid effect.

Michael Mohn

@Michael Mohn So let me understand is NAC excitotoxic at least in the central and peripheral nervous system? I'm asking you because I've noticed worsening on the cognitive side... it's strange because it should help from glutamate toxicity.

Cysteine (NAC) with glutamate and glycine makes glutathione, consequently reducing excess glutamate which is excitatory to the nerve system, therefore NAC reduces excitotoxicity in nerves.

Peat considers cysteine, methionine and tryptophan as excitatory in tissue growth/cancer as they reduce metabolism, which can trigger cancer.

There's lots of factors influencing cognition, I wouldn't worry about NAC first in this regard.
As a general rule when taking NAC always have enough glycine in your diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals