I want to be nutritionist : where to start ?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Hey :)
I am a dietitian and have been "peating" for close to 9 years now.
I did my undergraduate degree in Australia and now I am doing an additional masters degree in Norway cos here I will not be able to work as a dietitian without it.
Firstly, do not let age stop you from doing anything.
I am 33 and have two young children and I am still able to be a student (I am a better student now compared to ten years ago).

I am aware that a University degree does not mean intelligence, it simply just mean you are able to be organized enough to pass exams and write the answers University considers correct. However, when it comes to health and providing nutrition advice which is a very hot field where everyone has their own opinions and usually do not listen to you unless it is coming from a doctor (even then they might disagree with you) I do think it is beneficial to have a degree to show credentials to the public that you know what you are talking about. It also gives you access to search journal articles etc.
And at most universities the nutrition degree overlaps closely with the medical degree, it is a good way to learn about physiology and anatomy, while having Dr. Peat and his research as a background.

I would start by reading articles by Dr. Peat himself on his website.
Listen to podcasts.
Purchase his books.
And if you cannot afford Kate Deerings consultations, you could buy her book?

Try get a good understanding topic by topic, for example proteins, fats, carbohydrates before learning other relevant topics.
Ditto.

I am a registered dietitian too, practicing in the US.

You do not have to become a registered dietitian to help people eat better.

But being a dietitian here, can allow you to charge insurance companies for your services.

Obviously, many things we were taught in school are not Peaty. The Peatarian perspective is simply BIS.

The structures academic program will help though with the basics, dissection of animals and a tactile understanding of anatomy and physiology. On top of that, you will learn a lot of psychology that will always come in handy.

Best of luck.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals