Dietary choline intake is necessary to prevent systems-wide organ pathology and reduce Alzheimer's disease hallmarks

AlphaCog

Abstract​

There is an urgent need to identify modifiable environmental risk factors that reduce the incidence of Alzheimer's disease (AD). The B-like vitamin choline plays key roles in body- and brain-related functions. Choline produced endogenously by the phosphatidylethanolamine N-methyltransferase protein in the liver is not sufficient for adequate physiological functions, necessitating daily dietary intake. ~90% of Americans do not reach the recommended daily intake of dietary choline. Thus, it's imperative to determine whether dietary choline deficiency increases disease outcomes. Here, we placed 3xTg-AD, a model of AD, and non-transgenic (NonTg) control mice on either a standard laboratory diet with sufficient choline (ChN; 2.0 g/kg choline bitartrate) or a choline-deficient diet (Ch-; 0.0 g/kg choline bitartrate) from 3 to 12 (early to late adulthood) months of age. A Ch- diet reduced blood plasma choline levels, increased weight, and impaired both motor function and glucose metabolism in NonTg mice, with 3xTg-AD mice showing greater deficits. Tissue analyses showed cardiac and liver pathology, elevated soluble and insoluble Amyloid-β and Thioflavin S structures, and tau hyperphosphorylation at various pathological epitopes in the hippocampus and cortex of 3xTg-AD Ch- mice. To gain mechanistic insight, we performed unbiased proteomics of hippocampal and blood plasma samples. Dietary choline deficiency altered hippocampal networks associated with microtubule function and postsynaptic membrane regulation. In plasma, dietary choline deficiency altered protein networks associated with insulin metabolism, mitochondrial function, inflammation, and fructose metabolic processing. Our data highlight that dietary choline intake is necessary to prevent systems-wide organ pathology and reduce hallmark AD pathologies.

Last edited:

Ras

I like The Daily Egg.

1705165831611.png

David PS

Thanks for this thread. Choline is important and I consider adequate dietary choline to be essential to healthy aging.

OP
AlphaCog

AlphaCog

The interactive relationship of dietary choline and betaine with physical activity on circulating creatine kinase (CK), metabolic and glycemic markers, and anthropometric characteristics in physically active young individuals
Results
Increasing dietary betaine and total choline and betaine was positively related to weight, waist-to-hip ratio, fat-free mass and bone mass (P < 0.05). Increasing dietary betaine lowered total cholesterol (P = 0.032) and increased high density lipoprotein (HDL) (P = 0.049). The interaction effect of dietary choline and physical activity improved insulin resistance (P < 0.05). As well as dietary betaine interacted with physical activity increased HDL (P = 0.049). In addition, dietary total choline and betaine interacted with physical activity decreased FBS(fasting blood sugar) (P = 0.047).

DanDare

Forum Supporter
A lot in egg but decent amounts in beef and potatoes. Only low amounts in rice, but much more in corn, oats, barley, and a lot in wheat bran and wheat germ.

BearWithMe

Choline content per 3.5 oz / 100g:

Eggs, cooked: 293.8mg 53% RDA
Egg whites only, cooked: 1.1mg 0% RDA
Egg yolk, cooked: 820.2mg 149% RDA
Beef steak: 79.7mg 14% RDA
Potato, boiled with skin: 18.7mg 3% RDA
White rice: 2.1mg 0% RDA
Yellow corn, dry grain: 21.6mg 4% RDA
Oats, dry: 40.4mg 7% RDA
Barley, pearled, dry: 37.8mg 7% RDA
Wheat bran: 74.4mg 14% RDA
Wheat germ, crude: 143,2mg 26% RDA

Source: NCCDB

Last edited:

DanDare

Forum Supporter
I'm skeptical of the choline argument. Realistically choline RDA looks unattainable unless one is supplementing or eating eggs, and much of the world ( rice or bread eaters) should be severely deficient in it. I am also all too aware of people jumping to long term conclusions based on feelings and no actual evidence.

And let's look at the side effects or consuming too much choline:

Getting too much choline can cause a fishy body odor, vomiting, heavy sweating and salivation, low blood pressure, and liver damage. Some research also suggests that high amounts of choline may increase the risk of heart disease.2 Jun 2022
1712143501772.png

Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS) › factsheets

Choline - Consumer - NIH Office of Dietary Supplements

Last edited:

Jabuger

I'm skeptical of the choline argument. Realistically choline RDA looks unattainable unless one is supplementing or eating eggs, and much of the world ( rice or bread eaters) should be severely deficient in it. I am also all too aware of people jumping to long term conclusions based on feelings and no actual evidence.

And let's look at the side effects or consuming too much choline:

Getting too much choline can cause a fishy body odor, vomiting, heavy sweating and salivation, low blood pressure, and liver damage. Some research also suggests that high amounts of choline may increase the risk of heart disease.2 Jun 2022
View attachment 62218
Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS) › factsheets

Choline - Consumer - NIH Office of Dietary Supplements

How much is too much. I’m guessing impossible to attain through diet.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
How much is too much. I’m guessing impossible to attain through diet.

In that study link it suggests 3500mg for an adult yes. However to get the RDA people supposedly need to eat 400 grams beef per day every day, and that's just the RDA. Meanwhile eggs and liver are a super high source of choline ... But also vitamin a, something smells fishy to me! No pun intended..

So if choline was so great at detoxing vitamin a as according to some people, EASILY making up for the vit A, then over consuming liver should not be a problem - yet it almost certainly is from a plethora of evidence

DanDare

Forum Supporter
The argument: 'Choline can cope with large amounts of retinol. The retinol prick in eggs is easily coped with.'

Ok so eat 20 eggs a day 😂
Eat liver too as thats high in choline.
And then we have a high vit A diet again 🤪

Jabuger

The argument: 'Choline can cope with large amounts of retinol. The retinol prick in eggs is easily coped with.'

Ok so eat 20 eggs a day 😂
Eat liver too as thats high in choline.
And then we have a high vit A diet again 🤪
Trying to relate everything back to VA detox is your first fault.

DanDare

Forum Supporter
Trying to relate everything back to VA detox is your first fault.

😂

And what is the second?

This is the low toxin group looking into vit A, and choline is commonly quoted as being some kind of antidote to it, hence I am addressing that specifically ( however you can see I was speaking in general terms about choline in first comment). Would you like to make an actual argument that would be useful, something you have observed about dietary choline perhaps ?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals