Diarrhoea after magnesium Glycinate

margo

Hi

I have a problem with magnesium. I struggle to find any form that works for me. Glycinate calms me dow, calm down my palpitations and help sleep but I can’t retain it. I have terrible diarrhoea even after 150mg. Don’t know why can’t I retain it?
Not sure what to do.

Hi

I have a problem with magnesium. I struggle to find any form that works for me. Glycinate calms me dow, calm down my palpitations and help sleep but I can’t retain it. I have terrible diarrhoea even after 150mg. Don’t know why can’t I retain it?
Not sure what to do.
There is this recent thread to join forces with….

“Because the kidneys filter out excessive amounts of magnesium, it’s unusual for a healthy person to suffer from getting too much magnesium from foods they eat. If you take supplements, don’t take more than the upper limit unless your doctor recommended it. Getting too much magnesium can cause diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal cramps. Extremely high doses can lead to irregular heartbeat and heart attacks.”

mostlylurking

Hi

Not sure what to do.
There is a correlation between the inability to tolerate magnesium and poor thiamine status. Supplementation of thiamine is known to improve toleration of magnesium.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBxWivhBdpA

Soaking in a tub with a cup of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) can be very helpful because the magnesium is absorbed through the skin instead of the gut.

OP
M

margo

TheSir

Besides thiamine or choline deficiency, it could be that you just don't need it. I can take up to a gram day when i haven't taken any in a while, but after a few days of this even small amounts will give me diarrhea.

mostlylurking

Thank you
Here's a good article about magnesium:
and one about taking too much:

The second article states that hypothyroidism can cause hypermagnesemia, but I dunno. Ray Peat said that hypothyroid people have a hard time holding onto their magnesium, which seems to imply not being able to have enough magnesium.

OP
M

margo

Besides thiamine or choline deficiency, it could be that you just don't need it. I can take up to a gram day when i haven't taken any in a while, but after a few days of this even small amounts will give me diarrhea.
Hi. I’ve been supplementing for few months about 300-500mg a day. I think probably my body has enough. Ray often said that you need few bigger dosages and that is enough to correct deficiency. I change my mind about supplements. We don’t need as much as we think.

TheSir

Hi. I’ve been supplementing for few months about 300-500mg a day. I think probably my body has enough. Ray often said that you need few bigger dosages and that is enough to correct deficiency. I change my mind about supplements. We don’t need as much as we think.
Yep, it does sound like your stores simply are full now. In thiamine deficiency you would not have been able to go high in the beginning either (unless you coincidentally developed a deficiency recently).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals