Can’t sleep through the night? Stabilize your glycogen

Don

Interesting, there were things that I didn't know.
I noticed that if someone has poor glycogen, that person has to eat every 2 hours to keep stress low and improve sleep, which in the long run may heal the liver.

Hans, if someone wakes up during the night because of sleep apnea, what foods would you avoid before sleep?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I noticed that if someone has poor glycogen, that person has to eat every 2 hours to keep stress low and improve sleep, which in the long run may heal the liver.
Although that is a strategy, I don't think it's the best strategy. I think it's better to manipulate macros to stabilize blood sugar, since we only need 100-120g of glucose daily to keep liver glycogen topped off. But everyone feels different on different macros. If I drink juice, I have to consume juice every 30-60min to stabilize my blood sugar. But if I have an egg shake, I can easily last 6 hours.
Hans, if someone wakes up during the night because of sleep apnea, what foods would you avoid before sleep?
I would start with foods that negatively stimulate the immune system or that you might have an allergy to. Before bed, I'd experiment with eliminating dairy, juice, starches, gluten, nightshade, etc. Maybe early in the day is fine, but a few hours before bed might not be.

76er

I do struggle with sleeping straight for 8 hours.

I usually do 1 medjool date and 4 oz of whole milk before bed but perhaps I'll try your suggestion of some cottage cheese and honey.

Great article. Thanks.

aniciete

Eating before bed usually disrupts my sleep but if I have a big dinner 2-3 hours before bed I will sleep great without waking up.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I do struggle with sleeping straight for 8 hours.

I usually do 1 medjool date and 4 oz of whole milk before bed but perhaps I'll try your suggestion of some cottage cheese and honey.

Great article. Thanks.
Thanks. I think adding berries or berry powder is key for those nutrients that inhibit excessive glycogen breakdown. Perhaps cottage cheese, honey, kiwi (also great for sleep) and berry powder.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Eating before bed usually disrupts my sleep but if I have a big dinner 2-3 hours before bed I will sleep great without waking up.
I've had the same experience, especially with big meals. Small "meals" like a cup of milk or a piece of fruit or even egg shake are usually fine.

76er

Thanks. I think adding berries or berry powder is key for those nutrients that inhibit excessive glycogen breakdown. Perhaps cottage cheese, honey, kiwi (also great for sleep) and berry powder.
Got it.

Perhaps as you mention in the article, Mulberry leaf extract powder.

I did just get off vacation where I was able to get 8 or 9 hours of sleep. Even then, I'd still have a period where I'd wake after 5 hours or so. I'd grab a spoonful of Haagen Dazs and then it might take me a half-hour to a hour to get back to sleep.

Once I'm back from vacation and I wake after 5 or 6 hours my mind starts ruminating over the days upcoming issues or other matters.

I'm going need to solve the mental side here too and learn to quiet my mind. But yeah, the ideal would be just to extend that straight sleep time from 5-6 hours to 8 hours.

Limon9

I can testify to the importance of dietary B6 & selenium. You've written about taurine as a liver-glycogen-promoting substance before, and I've seen people benefit a lot from it. There's also this unusual one from Haidut, for anyone with reliable access to pepcid/famotidine.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Got it.

Perhaps as you mention in the article, Mulberry leaf extract powder.

I did just get off vacation where I was able to get 8 or 9 hours of sleep. Even then, I'd still have a period where I'd wake after 5 hours or so. I'd grab a spoonful of Haagen Dazs and then it might take me a half-hour to a hour to get back to sleep.

Once I'm back from vacation and I wake after 5 or 6 hours my mind starts ruminating over the days upcoming issues or other matters.

I'm going need to solve the mental side here too and learn to quiet my mind. But yeah, the ideal would be just to extend that straight sleep time from 5-6 hours to 8 hours.
Yeah for sure, rumination and subsequent anxiety can keep you up. Try box breathing as I've also found that to help.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Can you elaborate a little on this? Are you saying we only need 100-120 grams of carbohydrates per day? Thanks!
The liver stores about 100-120g daily which is typically depleted in 24 hours. Exercise, stress and other things speed up glycogen breakdown. However, the body also makes more glycogen the less glucose is available. The liver is almost never really depleted since the body is good at regulating it.

But everyone responds differently to different amounts of glucose as well as where that glucose is coming from and how quickly it's consumed in combination with other foods.

So it's not as simple as saying, we only need 100-120g glucose per day. In theory yes, but based on the complexity of reality, things change a lot.

ThunderSpank

The liver stores about 100-120g daily which is typically depleted in 24 hours. Exercise, stress and other things speed up glycogen breakdown. However, the body also makes more glycogen the less glucose is available. The liver is almost never really depleted since the body is good at regulating it.

But everyone responds differently to different amounts of glucose as well as where that glucose is coming from and how quickly it's consumed in combination with other foods.

So it's not as simple as saying, we only need 100-120g glucose per day. In theory yes, but based on the complexity of reality, things change a lot.
Thank you for your response! May I ask how many carbohydrates you have found to be about right for you per day? Thanks!

Vanset

I've had the same experience, especially with big meals. Small "meals" like a cup of milk or a piece of fruit or even egg shake are usually fine.
What kind of egg shake?

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thank you for your response! May I ask how many carbohydrates you have found to be about right for you per day? Thanks!
I prefer not to go below 200g, but ideally around 300g.

StrongMom

Good writeup, thanks for putting altogether. I did know about heavy metals having an effect. Any suggestions on reducing excess manganese? That’s what i found out with hair analysis.

Last edited:
OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Good writeup, thanks for putting altogether. I did know about heavy metals having an effect. Any suggestions on reducing excess manganese? That’s what i found out with hair analysis.
I'd do a blood test for manganese just to be sure. People with liver issues can have elevated manganese, since manganese is excreted via bile. So perhaps a very low fat diet can induce it as well due to insufficient bile release. Glyphosate inhibits manganese detoxification.
Manganese toxicity is very rare and occurs mostly from inhalation or excessive exposure from the environment, due to toxic soil. Plant foods and water can contribute a lot. So I'd find out where the excess manganese might be coming from and cut that out and then also optimize liver function and bile flow to detox it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals