Blood Sugar Stability During Sleep - Sucrose Vs. Pure Fructose

Orion

I am working on fixing my impaired liver function and glycogen storage. From reading through lots of post/threads, seem that an approach with no starch, low fat, and fructose use above sucrose, along with thiamine and caffeine should help.

When I use pure fructose during the day and before bed, I get an adrenaline response (very hot sweaty, wide awake, feeling wired) about 2-3hrs later especially when trying to sleep. But when I use sucrose i can go about 5hrs before I get a cortisol response (slight waking, feel cooler but rested).

I was thinking that fructose would be more beneficial, but does not seem to be able to keep blood sugar stable very long, keeps cortisol down, but then a big adrenaline dump.

I am getting lots of calories, and in the process of gaining weight like most who jump into Peat with a fatty liver...

Any thoughts on why pure fructose would not help with blood sugar stability?

tankasnowgod

I am getting lots of calories, and in the process of gaining weight like most who jump into Peat with a fatty liver...

Why would you think pure fructose would be better at keeping blood sugar stable? Many of the studies that claim to show negative effects of sugar or fructose are doing pretty much exactly what you are doing- adding a large amount of pure fructose to a diet already providing adequate (or excess) calories.

When Peat talked about William Budd and P.A. Priorry using fructose to help diabetics, they were using sucrose, not pure fructose. I believe the idea was that fructose didn't require insulin (or nearly as much insulin) as glucose to enter the cell. So, it kinda makes sense that you could take pure fructose, get a serious energy rush, and then be depleted from reactive hypoglycemia.

OP
Orion

Orion

Why would you think pure fructose would be better at keeping blood sugar stable? Many of the studies that claim to show negative effects of sugar or fructose are doing pretty much exactly what you are doing- adding a large amount of pure fructose to a diet already providing adequate (or excess) calories.

When Peat talked about William Budd and P.A. Priorry using fructose to help diabetics, they were using sucrose, not pure fructose. I believe the idea was that fructose didn't require insulin (or nearly as much insulin) as glucose to enter the cell. So, it kinda makes sense that you could take pure fructose, get a serious energy rush, and then be depleted from reactive hypoglycemia.

Thanks for the feedback, been still doing lots of reading, and seems that sticking with sucrose and ripe/cooked fruit is the way too go. Try to decrease cortisol and limit things that raise insulin (starch). Pure fructose would probably help with starchy meals.

RP says glucose helps T4 to T3, then why fructose?
High Fasting Blood Sugar Levels - "pre-diabetes" Levels
Improving Liver Function Before Going Full Peat? Dealing With Abdominal Fat

Elize

Greetings. I have the same problem Orion and sugar makes me far worse. I now am trying the Paleo Plus protocol for Terry Wahls as it is less animal protein more plant based proteins and includes carbs. The sugar leaves me shaking like a leaf. I am taking coconut oil and peanut butter at bed time and coconut oil at night should I wake up at night. I hope it will keep the shakes at bay.

I am working on fixing my impaired liver function and glycogen storage. From reading through lots of post/threads, seem that an approach with no starch, low fat, and fructose use above sucrose, along with thiamine and caffeine should help.

When I use pure fructose during the day and before bed, I get an adrenaline response (very hot sweaty, wide awake, feeling wired) about 2-3hrs later especially when trying to sleep. But when I use sucrose i can go about 5hrs before I get a cortisol response (slight waking, feel cooler but rested).

I was thinking that fructose would be more beneficial, but does not seem to be able to keep blood sugar stable very long, keeps cortisol down, but then a big adrenaline dump.

Almost 10 days now, I have warm milk with honey just before bed. I am sleeping well and more. I used to sleep near 1 am and get up 6:30am - 7am but now I am getting up at near 8am. Still can't believe I didn't wake up around by 7am. I wonder what's happening?

raypeatclips

Almost 10 days now, I have warm milk with honey just before bed. I am sleeping well and more. I used to sleep near 1 am and get up 6:30am - 7am but now I am getting up at near 8am. Still can't believe I didn't wake up around by 7am. I wonder what's happening?

The protein, fat and sugar are all probably helping you to sleep longer, compared to something which is just sugar.

The protein, fat and sugar are all probably helping you to sleep longer, compared to something which is just sugar.
It could be that combo, yes.

I used to eat my last meal 4 hours prior to my bedtime. This is not a bad strategy when you think to stress-less the stomach prior to sleep.

However, RP has turned my food world upside down starting with sugar.

Still trying to fully understand the concept, then work on the details....

Elize

Thanks. Would coconut milk with honey be ok as I do not have dairy?

OP
Orion

Orion

I am taking coconut oil and peanut butter at bed time and coconut oil at night should I wake up at night. I hope it will keep the shakes at bay.

Sugar is what should make the shakes go away and help with sleep. Low blood sugar will cause higher cortisol/adrenaline, which use muscle to create sugar and stabilize blood levels.

Night wakings are usually due to blood sugar bottoming out and same cycle as above happens. Cortisol/adrenaline will wake you up, and usually pounding heart, sweating, wired feeling.

Lots of salt, sugar, saturated fat before bed can help. Full liver glycogen storage helps with deep sleep and no night wakings.

Also I would not recommend peanuts or peanut butter, that is high polyunsaturated Omega6 (PUFA), Peat does not recommend these at all.

Sugar is what should make the shakes go away and help with sleep. Low blood sugar will cause higher cortisol/adrenaline, which use muscle to create sugar and stabilize blood levels.

Night wakings are usually due to blood sugar bottoming out and same cycle as above happens. Cortisol/adrenaline will wake you up, and usually pounding heart, sweating, wired feeling.

Lots of salt, sugar, saturated fat before bed can help. Full liver glycogen storage helps with deep sleep and no night wakings.

I have been drinking warm milk + honey just before bed, and I have been sleeping deeper (without interruption) and longer ( 7hours instead of 6 or less). I may add salt to see what happens. What do you consider "lots of salt?"

OP
Orion

Orion

What do you consider "lots of salt?"

Salting to taste should be the first step and guide. Salt could be helpful for lowering adrenaline through the night.

I think 15g (1Tbsp) per day is probably overkill, and up to 5g (1tsp) per day is probably about right for most.

Salting to taste should be the first step and guide. Salt could be helpful for lowering adrenaline through the night.

I think 15g (1Tbsp) per day is probably overkill, and up to 5g (1tsp) per day is probably about right for most.

I see. For me, I have always used salt when cooking or whenever thought that was appropriate, and my lab result shows I am average/high sodium.

So when you are talking about salt, you are talking about overall not using it in the milk + honey combo, correct? Thanks

OP
Orion

Orion

So when you are talking about salt, you are talking about overall not using it in the milk + honey combo, correct? Thanks

Ya daily amounts, but you could experiment with adding some to bedtime snack combo.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals