Optimal Prolactin range for females?

June

I’ve come across posts here where prolactin numbers closer to 0 are better. Except I’m female and I doubt 0-7 would be ideal. So what is the perfect range for prolactin in females? Do we only have low prolactin post menopause. My most recent blood test results:

Prolactin 24.8
Range:
5.0-27.0 ug/L

Elie

Forum Supporter
I go by < 10 is ideal < 15 is ok
Can't remenber where I discover this idea

OP
J

June

I go by < 10 is ideal < 15 is ok
Can't remenber where I discover this idea
Thanks Elie. Oh boy, I've got some lowering to do then. I took some high dose Vitex in hopes that it would help lower it but I think it's too much dopamine all at once. I ended up with some fuzzy noise in the ear, light sensitivity and inability to sleep. Feel like I want to crawl out of my skin sensation. It did however cause me to lose 2 lbs.

Nik665

Thanks Elie. Oh boy, I've got some lowering to do then. I took some high dose Vitex in hopes that it would help lower it but I think it's too much dopamine all at once. I ended up with some fuzzy noise in the ear, light sensitivity and inability to sleep. Feel like I want to crawl out of my skin sensation. It did however cause me to lose 2 lbs.
I thought peat said 11 or under

OP
J

June

I thought peat said 11 or under
I’m currently taking high dose progesterone and my prolactin shot through the roof. I hope it’s a temporary effect as the estrogen tries to oppose it. I’m not even close to 11.

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I took a test for Prolactin and the range said 3.0-30 ng/ml for non-pregnant women and 2.0-20.0 for post menopausal.
My result was 6.3, which is interesting because supposedly low prolactin indicates low estrogen, but I'm also post menopausal and estrogen is supposed to spike, correct?

OP
J

June

I took a test for Prolactin and the range said 3.0-30 ng/ml for non-pregnant women and 2.0-20.0 for post menopausal.
My result was 6.3, which is interesting because supposedly low prolactin indicates low estrogen, but I'm also post menopausal and estrogen is supposed to spike, correct?
This is so interesting. I have read reports here where some mentioned they had high estrogen but low prolactin. Is it the testing that is faulty?

TAG145

Forum Supporter
This is so interesting. I have read reports here where some mentioned they had high estrogen but low prolactin. Is it the testing that is faulty?
I wonder. I am literally so confused…we are told we have estrogen dominance in menopause but saliva nor blood tests are valid. How can we know for sure what is going on in our bodies if we can’t test for it?

Doesn’t this seem reasonable? He is contesting the results of the WHI study of HRT. But an advocate for estrogen being balanced. He advocates for progesterone for literal phase for PMS too. I’ve read so much RP articles but I’m obviously missing something because women are showing improvement with a little estrogen balanced by progesterone. Is it the form of estrogen that matters? How the heck are we supposed to know what to do specific to each individual? Progesterone was causing me more hot flashes. I read someone on here was going on 5 years of pushing through miserable hot flashes by dosing progesterone to get rid of estrogen from her tissues. Omg-5 years?? Without it getting better and without being able to tell if she is even going in the right direction. I feel like each side could argue their side and make valid points so we have no idea what to do.

View: https://youtu.be/uEZpg0n7jcY?si=AMzaT-oBYWKGflW_

OP
J

June

@TAG145 Agreed!! it is so overwhelming! I did suffer from hot flashes when I started titrating up progesterone and the hot flashes only went away when I made it to a very large amount. So it is effective, but you have to find the perfect dose. Maybe she was using too little for her body type. And not to mention all the different methods it can be used, topical, sublingual, vaginal, rectal. Oral form is the only one that works for me.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@TAG145 Agreed!! it is so overwhelming! I did suffer from hot flashes when I started titrating up progesterone and the hot flashes only went away when I made it to a very large amount. So it is effective, but you have to find the perfect dose. Maybe she was using too little for her body type. And not to mention all the different methods it can be used, topical, sublingual, vaginal, rectal. Oral form is the only one that works for me.
From my reading the consensus on progesterone amongst practitioners is that oral has the best absorption.

TAG145

Forum Supporter
I do agree with the oral version being the best and is the only type I have used. I use Progest-E or Forefront health version.

OP
J

June

I do agree with the oral version being the best and is the only type I have used. I use Progest-E or Forefront health version.
Definitely. I started with topical and it did nothing. But then again I have thyroid issues so that may have impacted the absorption.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals